Canada's new fleet: CC-130J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada's new fleet: CC-130J

After the recent purchase of four C-17s from Boeing, the Canadian are now receiving it's new tactical airlifter: the CC-130J:

Canada's New Workhorse

Canada formally accepted the first of 17 Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules aircraft today at ceremonies here and at Canadian Forces Base Trenton.

Canada finalized its CC-130J contract with Lockheed Martin in December 2007, with a subsequent agreement from the U.S. Air Force to ensure an early delivery of the first two Canadian aircraft. The balance will be delivered by the end of 2012. The CC-130Js (the Canadian designation) are the “stretched” configuration of the C-130J and are of similar specification to those already operated by the U.S. and other worldwide air forces.
    I saw the first Cdn one at the airshow here, numbered 601 (our older Hercs are numbered in the 300 series). The CF actually purchased the "stretched" version, the C-130J-30, giving us more flexibility as were are often limited by space vs weight.

The CC-130J is replacing the CC-130 E and H models in the CF, although I think we will be keeping some H-models (some were purchased as recently as 1996) for SAR until a new FW-SAR platform is acquired.
    Last edited by Jungle; 28 July 2010, 14:18.
    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

I take it you no longer have the E models then?
    "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by faughanballagh View Post
      I take it you no longer have the E models then?
      Typo; replace "C" with "E"... I don't think there was ever a C-model made.
      "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

No doubt we should all have an opportunity to have a closer look at these magnificent aircraft in the first half of next year at Shannon as the Canadian Army ups pegs and heads home from Afghanistan.

Comment

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
          No doubt we should all have an opportunity to have a closer look at these magnificent aircraft in the first half of next year at Shannon as the Canadian Army ups pegs and heads home from Afghanistan.
          Once again, you are clueless...

The Canadian government has directed that the pullout from Afghanistan has to be completed by december 2010. You might see Cdn CC-130Js in Shannon in 2011, but they could be heading to our next theater of Ops.

Never give up!!"

Comment

and while you have that opportunity Tim, maybe you should take a moment to show some respect for the Canadian Forces who have been brave enough to serve in Afghanistan - and not forget over 150 who have been killed and the hundreds who have been seriously injured in doing so.

and then when you peg your way back to your armchair you should admire the Canadian government to have the balls to commit so many troops in the first instance.

that was a cheap and nasty snipe Tim in an otherwise good aviation thread.

Jungle - it's been a pleasure to have worked with your troops in the past, as i know it has been for many of my colleagues in Afghanistan, and keeping on topic, we look forward to seeing your new Hercs on our next joint mission in the future.
            Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 27 July 2010, 22:55.
            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

RoyalGreenJacket;308776]and while you have that opportunity Tim, maybe you should take a moment to show some respect for the Canadian Forces who have been brave enough to serve in Afghanistan - and not forget over 150 who have been killed and the hundreds who have been seriously injured in doing so.
              I have every respect for the Canadian Forces- as I do for the British Forces. But forgive me if I differentiate between the patronising bluff and bluster displayed here by a few members of foreign armies who look for every opportunity to brag about their own armies while trying to run down the Irish Army. The only saving grace is that I know that they are not really representative as both the Canadian and British Armies at professional command level have the utmost respect for the Irish Army.

Comment

I have every respect for the Canadian Forces- as I do for the British Forces. But forgive me if I differentiate between the patronising bluff and bluster displayed here by a few members of foreign armies who look for every opportunity to brag about their own armies while trying to run down the Irish Army. The only saving grace is that I know that they are not really representative as both the Canadian and British Armies at professional command level have the utmost respect for the Irish Army.
                Canada is getting 17 of these things to add to an Air Force that has fighter jets and other cool sh1t, how could they not be patronising to us???

Comment

Jungle;

The Canadian government has directed that the pullout from Afghanistan has to be completed by december 2010. You might see Cdn CC-130Js in Shannon in 2011, but they could be heading to our next theater of Ops
                  Gee, thanks, Jungle, perhaps someone should tell your PM- he still thinks that it is the end of 2011.

Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. National Post offers information on latest national and international events & more.

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
                    Canada is getting 17 of these things to add to an Air Force that has fighter jets and other cool sh1t, how could they not be patronising to us???

Our DF expenditure is based on democratically-elected priority setting. There is no reason we should emulate the Canadians or anyone else. As a neutral country we will develop our own capacity most likely in the future in conjunction with the EU and with a bias towards EU/UN operations.

In any case, it would not be in any way cost-effective to have a standing airlift capacity for the very limited Irish Army deployments overseas. Even if you look at the US Army transitting Shannon the vast majority of their aircraft are chartered from companies such as Omni Air in Tulsa. During the Falklands war the British called up the QE11 and other ships. In Switzerland private haulage companies can be obliged to put a section of their fleet at the disposal of the Swiss Army in an emergency.

Comment

Gee, thanks, Jungle, perhaps someone should tell your PM- he still thinks that it is the end of 2011.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/wor...617/story.html
                      You know what, I was wrong, but so were you. I don't know why I had 2010 in mind... Anyway, I am deploying this fall myself, with a planned return sometime in late spring / early summer.

We will conduct combat Ops until june 2011, then a theater closing team will complete the withdrawal by december 2011. So if you see CDN C-130s in Shannon in the first half of next year, they will be routine flights; however, most of the equipment redeployment will likely be done via maritime assets, complemented by C-17 flights. The C-130s will mostly be used to lift stuff between KAF and our mounting base in the Gulf.

Never give up!!"

Comment

You suffer from "small-man syndrome"; discussing our Armed Forces here takes nothing away from the Irish DF.
                        You can play eternal victim all you want, but the Staff created a Foreign Forces forum so we can use it to discuss.

As a sidenote, I'm curious to read your thoughts on the Gaza Mall...
                        Last edited by Jungle; 28 July 2010, 20:25. Reason: Edited for clarity

Never give up!!"

Comment

IN a thread where I was looking forward to seeing some new Herky bird pics, this is what I have to put up with ? Shame on you tim for trolling. Do it again in this thread and watch what happens.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Here are a couple of pics of 602, taken at 8 Wing, Trenton (Ont):

Never give up!!"

Comment

are these the Herc's with full HUD's and all that lovely stuff Jungle?

by the way i like the default Canada logo you guys put on everything - including me when i was in Canada (I had a Red Maple Leaf and 'Canada 90' tattooed on my arm in Edmonton!)!

anyhow, they are nice birds Jungle.
                              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 28 July 2010, 18:15.
                              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X