What is British Army life like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is British Army life like?

RGJ,as a SNCO coming up to your 22 deadline, is it poss for you to get a LE comm or must you leave. If someone leaves after 22 is there a decent grat/pension?

Originally posted by danno View Post
    RGJ,as a SNCO coming up to your 22 deadline, is it poss for you to get a LE comm or must you leave. If someone leaves after 22 is there a decent grat/pension?
    hi Danno, yes there is the option to go for an LE Commission however the options open to you vary between regiments / corps / cap badges and the selection process is tough.

in most cases you must be a Warrant Officer to be considered and in some cases you can be a Sjt or above but i've never looked into it myself so i'm not too sure but there are a couple of selection boards each year and quite a few make the move onwards and upwards into the Officers Mess.

until very recently you had to retire at your 22 year point if you didn't commission but the contracts for new lads joining the Army have changed and for older lads like myself - some of us have been offered some extended service of a couple years more past our 22 year point.

either way - we get a rank ranged lump sum of at least £45K and immediate pension from the day we retire which rises significantly when we reach the age of 55.

it's not a bad package and 'covers the mortgage' as most would say.

i hope that answers your question mate.
    Last edited by Vickers; 4 August 2010, 10:33.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
    X