X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish DF far better equipped than the British Army

Originally posted by paul g View Post
    As for equipment, in areas like small arms, comms and AFV's we've got far better stuff that the british.
    oh really Paul?

right, we all know i am guilty of banging on about the British Army all of the time but i'm not gonna come out with a ridiculous and sh|t stirring comment such as "in areas like small arms, comms and AFV's we've got far better stuff that the Irish" because even if we had - it's just a malevolent comment to make but particularly when you are way off the mark and cannot substantiate this claim so to that end i've briefly drawn a few comparisons of equivalent kit to see how as you put it "we [the Irish DF] have far better stuff than the british [British Army]"

well let's have a little reality check shall we?

lets start at basics:

Small Arms:

Steyr Aug v Heckler & Koch A2:

The AUG is an outstanding rifle but the Irish DF version is dated with poor optics and the lack of picatinny rails as standard. the HK A2 has some of the highest reliability rates for any assault rifle, it has far superior optics with the ACOG and comes with picatinny rails and bipod legs as standard.

so how is this Irish DF equivalent "better stuff than the British"?

??? v Dedicated Marksman Rifle:

the Irish DF infantry don't have a DMR but we have the 7.62mm L129 'Sharpshooter' designed to take on the enemy at ranges beyond that of a 5.56mm Assault Rifle, increasing our kill capability.

??? v Minimi:

the Irish DF infantry don't have a 5.56mm light machine gun which offers a higher rate of fire with a much lighter ammo load for troops but we have the Minimi - up to 2 per section.

MAG v GPMG:

the Irish DF still use the original FN MAG whilst we use the L7A2 which is an improvement on the original FN MAG with a enhanced feed system and better gas settings for superior reliability.

??? v Benelli Combat Shotgun:

the Irish DF infantry don't have a combat shotgun but we have the semi-automatic 12 guage Benelli shotgun for use in close combat.

so how is this Irish DF equivalent 'better stuff than the British"?

AI96 Sniper Rifle v L115 Sniper Rifle:

the Irish DF are still using the 7.62mm AI96 which entered service in 1992 whilst we have moved on and adopted the 8.59mm L115A3 - a large-calibre weapon which provides state-of-the-art telescopic day and night all-weather sights, increasing a sniper's effective range considerably. The L115A3 long range rifle fires an 8.59mm bullet which is heavier than the 7.62mm round of the AI96 and less likely to be deflected over extremely long ranges due to the weapon also being suppressed to protect the firer from detection.

Comms:

Bowman V SINCGARS

Bowman took a while to get there but it is a nationally independent fully encrypted HF/VHF/UHF VoIP and Date comms system with integrated GPS at section level

the Irish DF crypto still comes from the USA so no matter how secure you think it is - someone always else has the key. SINCGARS is an ageing comms system and is not fully integrated into all Irish DF vehicles and aircraft to the level that Bowman is with LCD's and Battlespace Situational Awareness in almost every vehicle even at platoon level.

AFV's:

Standard Infantry APC: MOWAG Piranha V Warrior

Warrior p|sses all over the MOWAG in most respects other than road speed. Warrior has better off road performance, is better armoured and better armed (12.7mm MG v 30mm Rarden Cannon) than Piranha III. it has a 48hr full CBRN capability as standard (and even has a toilet onboard!).

it has a fully night fighting capability with integrated latest generation thermal optics

a Warrior can destroy a Piranha III while a Piranha III cannot destroy a Warrior.

RG32 v Panther

the RG32M is an outstanding vehicle but most importantly, the Panther (STANAG Level 3 (Level 4 for TES version in Afghan)) has much better blast protection than the RG32M (LTV STANAG Level 2). they are both pretty similar in other respects but ours offer much better protection for her crew.

Scimitar V Scorpion

we replaced our Scorpions over 15 years ago with the superior Scimitar. better engine, better main armament and better reliability.

??? v Challenger 2

the Irish DF don't have an MBT but we have the world class combat proven Challenger 2.

even our new MTP uniform, our Osprey Body Armour and Mk7 Helmets are among recognised as some of the finest soldier systems in the world.

i could go on to mention Apache Gunships, GMLRS, Mastiff's, Springers, Close Support Tankers, Fuchs CBRN etc., but i wouldn't want to embarrass you.

now i tried not to be drawn into this Paul G, but when you make wild comments like this to try belittle the army i have devoted most of my life to - i won't stand by and let others think you are right when you are blatantly so very very wrong and end up showing your self up at the expense of the honourable lads serving in the Irish DF. even after taking the time to draw the comparisons above i am still not going to say "in areas like Small Arms, Comms and AFV's, the British Army has better stuff than the Irish DF", but the difference above is clear now for anyone to see the real state of play, instead of that according to flippant comments by Paul G.

think about it next time.
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 5 August 2010, 00:16.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Dude, come on. You're better than this.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

D

Stop it -

This board is spiraling out of control- we lost some really good blokes because they are fed up with this shite- who gives a feck what our Armies have-

If you or anyone else ruin this board for me and I have to talk to the wife

I promise I will make the miscreant cry-

now tell us all about the birds in the British Army
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I must say, I'm getting a little tired of this as well. Can we get a threadlock, please?

NTM
        Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

dude I dunno whether your posts are being split or what but whats with the whole starting a new thread in response to a comment by another member?

Comment

so u think it's ok for other members to talk sh|te and and everyone has to believe it because those who know different can't put it right?

Paul G made the ridiculous comment and i wanted to reply to it, so i did - that's what forums are for.

if i'm not allowed to respond to a sh|t stirring comment from some civvie in a military forum about the Army i soldier in then what's the point of a military forum?
            Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 5 August 2010, 00:41.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

RGJ everyone is really fed up with this argument, most of us wont be convinced the British Army is shit just because some 'civvie' says so and for those who do buy what he says, does it matter? who gives a fcuk? getting a rise out of Tim is just fun and he can dish it back, but these responses are just sorta sad, no one can take away from the career you have so just let it go

dont take life so seriously

Comment

right CS, i used my right to reply so i'm done now.

both armies are good, just different - so lets leave it at that.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

can this thread be closed too please? What the fcuk has this dissolved into the past few days?
                  I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                  Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                  Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                  And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                  With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                  He put a bullet through his brain.
                  And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                  Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                  Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                  The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Hard to get any enjoyment out of stuff like this

Comment

I'm just getting annoyed at petty shite. Fair enough, forums are for discussions, but this has gone past that, its all personal attacks.
                      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                      He put a bullet through his brain.
                      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

When I'm in need of distraction, I look for the simple things. I posted this before, buuuut the message stands.

So lads, here they are.

Power tools, boobs, fire power, and meat.

Enjoy, and be friends.

Last edited by Captain Edmund Blackadder; 5 August 2010, 01:09.

Comment

Captain, are you spamming the board with advertisements for your topless steak house???

Comment

Now wouldn't that be an idea and a half.

Comment

As HH pointed out this thread has gone OTT. This is not what this board it about. For those of you who have PMed me that you did not get the chance to reply - that is one of the reasons I closed it - "mine is bigger that yours" etc.. Members are fed up with this type of arguement. Tough if you don't like it. The thread remains closed.
                              "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Working...
                              X