British Army to use Apple iPad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Army to use Apple iPad

The British Army is one of the first military organisations in the world to develop an application for the new Apple iPad.

Currently in the testing stage, the Fire Control Orders application will be used by Gunners at the Royal School of Artillery in Larkhill, Wiltshire, replacing more conventional training methods.

Using interactive individual and multi-user exercises, the iPad application aims to provide a more engaging - and therefore more effective - training experience.

Read more here: www

makes sense to exploit COTS technology to our advantage like this.

i know the Royal Navy have apps running on their PSP's.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    The British Army is one of the first military organisations in the world to develop an application for the new Apple iPad.

Currently in the testing stage, the Fire Control Orders application will be used by Gunners at the Royal School of Artillery in Larkhill, Wiltshire, replacing more conventional training methods.

Using interactive individual and multi-user exercises, the iPad application aims to provide a more engaging - and therefore more effective - training experience.

Read more here: www

i know the Royal Navy have apps running on their PSP's.
    If you are developing the app is it still COTS?

Comment

the hardware is COTS but the app is a bespoke project.
      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
        Alot of the newer Arty CP and Survey kit is civvie kit made by Topcon and in some cases modified for Arty work. Though we hasnt gotten Ipods and PSPs (yet)
        But there's no danger
        It's a professional career
        Though it could be arranged
        With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
        If you're out of luck you're out of work
        We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

nice to see the Royal Navy decided NOT to disable the UMD drive on them - allowing the sailors to use them for personal entertainment and games.

www - Royal Navy Sony PSP
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
            Alot of the newer Arty CP and Survey kit is civvie kit made by Topcon and in some cases modified for Arty work.
            It is true COTS, isn't painted in camo colours and is a third of the price!

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              It is true COTS, isn't painted in camo colours and is a third of the price!
              I am all for new technology, I am not a Luddite, but technology is not everything as Alex Thompson of Channel 4 News so brilliantly describes here:

YOU MAY HAVE THE WATCHES, BUT WE HAVE THE TIME.

Last edited by timhorgan; 6 August 2010, 08:59.

Comment

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
                I am all for new technology, I am not a Luddite, but technology is not everything as Alex Thompson of Channel 4 News so brilliantly describes here:

YOU MAY HAVE THE WATCHES, BUT WE HAVE THE TIME.

http://stopwar.org.uk/content/view/2016/1/
                MOD: Tim, what has this to do with the topic? To remind you the title of the thread is "British Army to use Apple iPad". Get back on topic.
                "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Originally posted by Vickers View Post
                  MOD: Tim, what has this to do with the topic? To remind you the title of the thread is "British Army to use Apple iPad". Get back on topic.
                  Sorry, Vickers,

I was just trying to make an observation that "high-tech" is not necessarily a decisive factor in modern warfare such as Afghanistan.

Comment

Try telling that to Johnny Afghan with a JDAM inbound.

Wasn't there a touch screen "tablet" computer as part of the Bowmen series for those Arty types?
                    Last edited by SwiftandSure; 6 August 2010, 11:10.

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                      Alot of the newer Arty CP and Survey kit is civvie kit made by Topcon and in some cases modified for Arty work. Though we hasnt gotten Ipods and PSPs (yet)
                      I don't see us moving towards Ipads/PSPs anytime soon either.
                      They're not water-proof, dust-proof or drop-proof.
                      The link showed a training aid to be used in an indoor classroom environment.
                      The Irish Arty TopCon survey and CP kit is for field use in the mud and rain.
                      Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
                        I don't see us moving towards Ipads/PSPs anytime soon either.
                        You just had to ruin it for me didnt ya :C
                        But there's no danger
                        It's a professional career
                        Though it could be arranged
                        With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                        If you're out of luck you're out of work
                        We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

iPad? I fear the BA's leadership has been overtaken by zombies.
                          "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

MOD: Anyone who deliberately attempts to take this thread off topic or posts just to "stir the shit" will be banned - you have been warned.
                            "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Working...
                            X