Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwegian Army too 'Aggressive' in Afghanistan

Spotted this on militaryphotos.net

Norwegian soldiers in Afghanistan unofficially use the "Punisher-skull" (from the comic/movie The Punisher) as an emblem. It’s got the text "Jokke, we will never forget!" as a tribute to the fellow soldier who got killed by a roadside bomb in January 2010. The senior Taliban leader and bomb making expert suspected of arranging the ambush that killed Claes Joachim Olsson, was himself killed this summer in an operation by Olssons unit.

Soldiers of the "Mek 4" are spray painting the skull on buildings of suspected Taliban members as warnings to them. There are reports of several irregualar patrols, where the Norwegian soldiers seem to be seeking fire fights in order to kill enemies "without a clear mandate to do so" by the Army High Command (government/establishment).

Soldiers have also expressed a great feeling of joy (better than sex) when involved in combat: "Seeing the "red mist" in your optics is an incredible feeling"
    (a soldier quoted by the newspaper VG http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/a...artid=10036779 )

"You become so high on adrenaline before you draw the trigger. You want to shoot all the time when you have "verified weapon" and know that the enemy is a legitimate target. When you finally get to fire, you become blood-focused. We do anything to hit, to kill. Sometimes you're lucky, I hit a Taliban warrior in the neck from 2770 meter on february 2 this year - Man, there was cheering!"

The company commander, major Kristian Simonsen, has expressed:
    I have utilized the troops with the intention of killing, and we have been successful. I don't reflect on having killed someone. They have chosen to enter the battlefield with the intention to kill us, that makes us equally guilty of the outcome. We are the two parties of a war".

The Telemark Batallion 4th mechanized company's warcry is "Til Valhall!" (To Valhalla!). The warcry was shouted three times by the unit after a flaming speech by an officer in a closed ceremony in relation to Olssons death.

The unit's field priest reacted when he heard about the incident and reported the soldiers "warmongering ethics and dangerous behaviour" to senior officers a while ago.

The Norwegian gouvernment is in flames over this, claiming it to be "a vengeful, and dangerous path" that the soldiers should stop following.

The subject has been a hot potato in the Norwegian press today. The defence minister (labour party) Grete Faremoe is strongly regretting the trend and calls for reactions. The leader of the moderate opposition, Erna Solberg, sees on the other hand no need to panic over the soldier's conduct.

Found this interesting as from where I stand, a goverment sends their army to War and yet while they are staying within the ROE their goverment sees fit to tell them how to do their job.

Anyone think there is anything more to this then sensationalist journalism? Or are these norwegians being too aggresive?
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

it's Warfare not Welfare - Afghanistan is the perfect place for these Norse Vikings.

it's kill or be killed, so lets hope they kill more of them and i commend them for remembering their fallen comrade in such an inspirational way.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
      Spotted this on militaryphotos.net
      Anyone think there is anything more to this then sensationalist journalism? Or are these norwegians being too aggresive?
      Definately sensationalist journalism; a bunch of bleeding hearts whining.

As long as they operate in respect of the LoAC and Geneva conventions, they can approach combat the way they want.

As professional Soldiers, it is no worse to enjoy our job than a firefighter enjoying his; it does not mean the firefighter enjoys seeing people's homes burn.

Keep on killing bad dudes, Vikings !!
      "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle View Post

As long as they operate in respect of the LoAC and Geneva conventions, they can approach combat the way they want.

As professional Soldiers, it is no worse to enjoy our job than a firefighter enjoying his; it does not mean the firefighter enjoys seeing people's homes burn.

Pardon my ignorance, LoAC? Laws of Armed Conflict?
        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
          Pardon my ignorance, LoAC? Laws of Armed Conflict?
          Yes
          "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

"The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle View Post

I totally agree with you Jungle;

The Olafs have and always had a great espirt de corps

and they are soliders thats the best force multiplier they could ever have.
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                I totally agree with you Jungle;

The Olafs have and always had a great espirt de corps

and they are soliders thats the best force multiplier they could ever have.
                Also an excellent PX.

Comment

Originally posted by dahamster View Post
                  Also an excellent PX.
                  i think the CANEX beats the Norgy PX any day.
                  RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Go on the VIKINGS!!

Comment

If they stay within the LOACs and ROEs, then I see no reason why they shouldn't put the
                      shit up the Taliban and put the boot on the other foot

Like what the SAS are doing in targetting Taliban leaders
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The will to fight and win has been transmogrified into a warcrime by certain morally corrupt elements of society.

Talk about uphill struggle.

The Taliban aren't a national resistance movement, true they have some support, but the thankfully aborted Dutch Paedophile party had some support too.

(Ref: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5038682.stm)
                        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                          The will to fight and win has been transmogrified into a warcrime by certain morally corrupt elements of society.

Talk about uphill struggle.

The Taliban aren't a national resistance movement, true they have some support, but the thankfully aborted Dutch Paedophile party had some support too.

(Ref: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5038682.stm)
                          Yeah Green Party Tree Huggers for one.

Go For It!!!

Comment

Hi there,
                            Having seen a recent documentary on one of the Uk channels about "dancing boys", the practise of taking preteen boys, at gunpoint if need be and training them to be dancers (and killing potential escapees), I think a shade more aggression from the Norwegians and the rest is not unwelcome.That country is a corrupt, medieval shithole and it's simply not worth the deaths of Europeans to attempt to change it.
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                              Hi there,
                              Having seen a recent documentary on one of the Uk channels about "dancing boys", the practise of taking preteen boys, at gunpoint if need be and training them to be dancers (and killing potential escapees), I think a shade more aggression from the Norwegians and the rest is not unwelcome.That country is a corrupt, medieval shithole and it's simply not worth the deaths of Europeans to attempt to change it.
                              regards
                              GttC
                              For more on the "culture " of the region read "Empires of the Indus " by Alice Albibia. Published in '08 so quite up-to-date.

Comment

Working...
                              X