Pay & Overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay & Overseas

Am i the only one whowas a little put out by the comment at the end "A soldier serving on a UN mission can earn about €15,000 tax-free in allowances over a six month period" . I didnt realise overseas was worth that much !!
    Anyone need a spleen ?

Originally posted by ollie View Post
    Am i the only one whowas a little put out by the comment at the end "A soldier serving on a UN mission can earn about €15,000 tax-free in allowances over a six month period" . I didnt realise overseas was worth that much !!
    Typical media using every opportunity to get a dig at the Public Sector.

Never mentioned that said soldier needs to be a Lt Col..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by ollie View Post
      Why would you be put out by that?????
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
        Why would you be put out by that?????
        because they are blatantly over paid?

don't get me wrong - nobody is going to look a gift horse in the mouth and fair play to them but compared to what other soldiers in other armies are doing now it's money for old rope.

i'd almost guarantee that an Irish DF soldier overseas on a UN mission gets paid much more than any soldier of the same rank from any other country serving in Afghanistan right now.

it's crazy money, but i wouldn't say no
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Im not on about how much they can earn. I just took it up as a dig against the DF. The CoS talks about the exp the army has in the country but rte end the article by mentioning how much money a trip can be worth. There are people out there who will read it and think "15 grand for a holiday" . Every story in the news about public servants seem to have a mention of money in them.
          Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

6 months = 182 days (for arguments sake)

Overseas Peace Support Allowance for a Private - Daily € 61.27

Overseas Peace Support Allowance Armed for a Private - Daily € 23.58

Over € 15,400 actually and they work for it!

Comment

i've served in Iraq and never came close to those EXTRA rates of pay and there are a few American, Canadian and British lads on here who have recently served in Afghanistan who i highly doubt received anything like those extra rates of pay.

and trust me - i'm pretty sure we all also worked for it, but got paid far far less for War Fighting than our Irish DF equivalents got for Peace-Keeping.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

There is no way i am gonna compare what we do or have done on Ops overseas to what the likes of the BA are doing now on Herrick.However we get paid what we get paid for active service overseas where we are allways potentially in harms way.They dont send us to Ibiza on Op tours now do they?Basically its danger money and its also the big carrot to get lads to volunteer for overseas service(Remember pre 94 contracts cannot be detailed for Chapter 7 ops which are our bread and butter these days).Oh and its also the only way alot of lads have of making a few extra bob to put the kids through school,change the banger or pay off their mortgages.
                Do the BA get paid less for doing more in terms of full on combat.Hell yeah.But thats an issue for the BA and their masters.No point in letting the green eyed monster loose.

PS:"Blatantly overpaid".Says who?By what standard?.I would say its the opposite for ye .The BA is blatantly underpaid.Anyway RGJ if you dont like what they are paying you could always join up here.Experienced SNCO's are always welcome
                Last edited by apod; 7 October 2010, 00:52.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

tend to agree with APOD on this one but u also have to compare cost of living etc and entire package re pensions retirement , opportunities etc.
                  oridinary soldiers are not overpaid if some are also on FSI. nOW AS REGARDS FUTURE DEPLOYMENTS , I am in DRC at the moment on a short term assignment, MONUC IS IN abit of a mess, no political vision on top, troops so far encountered, Paks, indians, Sth African , uruguayan, routine patrolling and guarding the vast top heavy monster that MONUCSCO HAS BECOME.
                  aS REGARDS RGJ u joined the BA because of the greater opps for travel and adventure etc etc now u have them.. so stiop slagging of the DF and be happy being a BRITISH soldier.

Comment

The BA is blatantly underpaid.Anyway RGJ if you dont like what they are paying you could always join up here.Experienced SNCO's are always welcome
                    incidentally we are now in most instances equally if not better better paid in peacetime at home in most circumstances than the Irish DF (we already covered this elsewhere on here) and many other nations (i think the Canadians get paid quite well though - ask Jungle). OK apod - i'll swop ya in a couple of years when i have to retire but your lads don't! :P

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                    so stiop slagging of the DF and be happy being a BRITISH soldier.
                    Bandit - your guys do a great job and are excellent at anything put in front of you - this was aimed at what i still consider the relatively high pay and not the soldiers who receive it.

anyhow i've thoroughly enjoyed my time and i am happy as a pig in sh|t in the British Army and you are very fortunate to be overseas now. so lets ALL just be happy

anyhow, here's hoping a decent overseas operation does come your way sometime soon.
                    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 7 October 2010, 09:30.
                    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      incidentally we are now in most instances equally if not better better paid in peacetime at home in most circumstances than the Irish DF (we already covered this elsewhere on here) and many other nations (i think the Canadians get paid quite well though - ask Jungle). OK apod - i'll swop ya in a couple of years when i have to retire but your lads don't! :P
                      If that true then what are you whinging about?I remember meeting British troops in Kosovo and they were getting sweet FA weekly for a six month tour.Their jaws dropped when they found out what we were on!felty kinda sorry for them.Good lads all.

Bandit - your guys do a great job and are excellent at anything put in front of you - this was aimed at what i still consider the relatively high pay and not the soldiers who receive it.

anyhow i've thoroughly enjoyed my time and i am happy as a pig in sh|t in the British Army and you are very fortunate to be overseas now. so lets ALL just be happy

anyhow, here's hoping a decent overseas operation does come your way sometime soon.
                      Finding myself in the peculiar position od agreeing with Bandit On the whole DRC thing.A place that our services would much better be employed than the Leb ad bleeding nauseum.
                      One thing though RGJ.I think you may be confused.BANDIT isnt a serving soldier.

Comment

its OK APOD i know he is not serving (that's why i said overseas and not 'serving overseas') but he's still lucky to be involved in something like that out there.

incidentally, i almost ended up on a UN mission in Sierra Leone last year and if i did i would have also been on Rockstar UN pay - and i was told that the UN wanted me to purchase my own weapon on arrival?! bringing my A2 wasn't an option apparently???

it would have been interesting but it never came to fruition.
                        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

(i think the Canadians get paid quite well though - ask Jungle).
                          Funny you mention this; I was just looking this up after reading the "Rates Of Pay" thread.
                          Here are the Canadian NCM rates of pay:
                          CF Pay Scales

The allowances for non-operational service:
                          Allowances for officers and non-commissioned members

And the allowances for OPS:
                          OPERATION ALLOWANCES

The OPS allowances, and our pay, are not taxable during a deployment to medium or high risk areas.

Now doing a cost-of-living comparison :
                          Between Canada and Ireland

And
                          Between Canada and the UK
                          "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Not that I want to get into a protracted discussion about what I get paid but as an E-7 with over 17 years in I get paid handsomely for my time here. A lot of that though has to do with where I live in the US as my housing allowance is one of the highest in the US. Let me put it this way for my year on active duty I got well over $65,000. Anything paid to me while I was out of the US is Tax Free. Because of the State I live in I earn more than some of the Lt.'s who are from different states.
                            There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

i've served in Iraq and never came close to those EXTRA rates of pay and there are a few American, Canadian and British lads on here who have recently served in Afghanistan who i highly doubt received anything like those extra rates of pay.

and trust me - i'm pretty sure we all also worked for it, but got paid far far less for War Fighting than our Irish DF equivalents got for Peace-Keeping.
                              Blame the MOD & Generals!

Basically its danger money and its also the big carrot to get lads to volunteer for overseas service(Remember pre 94 contracts cannot be detailed for Chapter 7 ops which are our bread and butter these days).Oh and its also the only way alot of lads have of making a few extra bob to put the kids through school,change the banger or pay off their mortgages.

PS:"Blatantly overpaid".Says who?By what standard?.I would say its the opposite for ye .The BA is blatantly underpaid.Anyway RGJ if you dont like what they are paying you could always join up here.Experienced SNCO's are always welcome
                              Well said.... If my boss sent me to a warzone, with/without a weapon, no drink, on call 24/7 for at least 4 months (maybe without a day off), away from family & friends, with risk to life and limb (not just due to unfriendly attacks but disease etc)...... I want that!!

I'm sure the likes of oil workers in dangerous parts of the world are also very well paid.

Comment

Working...
                              X