Last night, Channel 4 9pm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night, Channel 4 9pm...

.showed a Dispatches programme about a Bravo Company of the USMC in action in Afghanistan.Their particular task was to advance to a small village in a cultivated area (opium poppies, mostly), clear out the Taliban and set up a base. They were almost immediately in contact as soon as they entered the area and soon had 1 dead, one wounded. They reckoned on having engaged between two dozen and forty Taliban. At one stage, they were pinned down from fire from three sides. Eventually, they managed to break the stalemate by advancing along a 700metre track and hitting the Taliban from the flank. They were troubled by a sniper, who, with what appeared to be a WW 1 Mauser, hit four of them from 300 yards (3 WIA, one helmet ricochet) but managed to eventually kill him. They ultimately secured the village and disabled dozens of IEDs and captured weapons, equipment and processed drugs and IED materials.
    An amazing programme.
    regards
    GttC

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    They were troubled by a sniper, who, with what appeared to be a WW 1 Mauser, hit four of them from 300 yards (3 WIA, one helmet ricochet) but managed to eventually kill him.
    An amazing programme.

That was another guy they found dead, the actual sniper was never found and he was using a 5.56, discovered by the shell casings left behind, they said that he most likely was trained and equipped by the Americans at some stage.

The ANA were beyond useless, they were dangerous, they could have easily have gotten themselves and others killed on several occasions.

It was indeed an amazing program.
    Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

is this on 4od?
      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
      He put a bullet through his brain.
      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

It is Buck. Great documentary. Amazing insight into the operation. Now to find Restrepo on line somewhere...
        Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
          It is Buck. Great documentary. Amazing insight into the operation. Now to find Restrepo on line somewhere...
          thats next on my list. Had a wee lookeen at the dispatches programme, bit long for tonight but tomorrow for sure
          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
          He put a bullet through his brain.
          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
            .showed a Dispatches programme about a Bravo Company of the USMC in action in Afghanistan.Their particular task was to advance to a small village in a cultivated area (opium poppies, mostly), clear out the Taliban and set up a base. They were almost immediately in contact as soon as they entered the area and soon had 1 dead, one wounded. They reckoned on having engaged between two dozen and forty Taliban. At one stage, they were pinned down from fire from three sides. Eventually, they managed to break the stalemate by advancing along a 700metre track and hitting the Taliban from the flank. They were troubled by a sniper, who, with what appeared to be a WW 1 Mauser, hit four of them from 300 yards (3 WIA, one helmet ricochet) but managed to eventually kill him. They ultimately secured the village and disabled dozens of IEDs and captured weapons, equipment and processed drugs and IED materials.
            An amazing programme.
            regards
            GttC
            Just as well the Taliban didn't have a mortar. Those Marines huddled together in houses or compounds, seemed to be very vulnerable.

Comment

I thought that as well. I was waiting for mortars to start raining down at a few points in the doc. Lucky for the Marines it didn't seem to happen.
              Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Also, where was their own vehicular support? I was expecting to see Strykers, at least, or helicopters other than dustoffs.
                regards
                GttC

Comment

Is the RPG the best infantry weapon there is?

Comment

Very disturbing that after a child featured in it was found beheaded a few months later..

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzle View Post
                      Very disturbing that after a child featured in it was found beheaded a few months later..
                      I taugth they said he was like 22?
                      Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                        Yeah, the troops there said he was twenty or something?
                        Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                          Only caught the middle and the credits have it taped, pic looked like a kid, could be my mistake

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzle View Post
                            Only caught the middle and the credits have it taped, pic looked like a kid, could be my mistake
                            He had dawrfism. He didn't last because probably he was fingured to the Taliban for having mixed with the troops.
                            In all honesty I can't believe that the tactics I saw on display represent the best that the western world have to offer. The unit didn't seem to have it's own snipers.... they didn't seem interested in getting up early and moving into observation positions... unless of course what you see is heavily censored so that tactics aren't on display for the Taliban to see.

Comment

The ANA in the show, while I'm sure didnt reflect the best of the ANA were shockingly not up to scratch from what I saw
                              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Working...
                              X