Update from AFG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update from AFG

Good morning lads & lasses and Merry Christmas from Ghazni, AFG. Sorry I haven't been on the net more, between the site being down and just plain busy. However, today is the day to get caught up. I send an email out to my friends and family every few weeks, so I'll be the lazy man and cut and paste those to bring you up to date. Attached is a picture of the staff I work with.....God help us all.......to all members of any forces who are away from the families today, my best wishes for a safe tour and a speedy return to home station.

Unfortunately today was somewhat "downed" by having to conduct an early morning security patrol, so we spent last night getting vehicles sorted and rolled out early. Thankfully it was dead quiet and we are all back to base and trying to get into the spirit. Big meal planned for tonight, services in the chapel and hopefully some calls and Skype with the family.

Merry Christmas.

A

Time for another missive from the 'stan. We're about at the 30 day mark of our time in country, so high time for an update.

We have completed our RIP/TOA (Relief in Place/Transfer of Authority) where we are formally in command and our colleagues have departed for the states. As with most things, we have made some changes, adjustments and modifications to the area, our procedures and so on. Not to imply our predecessors were not up to snuff, that is a typical Army thing, one always improves your position and put your own "stamp" on it. We did have to add some rooms as we have a few more lads. The great thing about being deployed is for the most part, all you need are the tools and a bit of plywood and you can make whatever you need. One of our lads is a carpenter, so he's very handy at knocking out a table or the likes.

We have pretty much settled into our routine, have started our mission and conducted a few patrols. Our base has been rocketed/mortared a few times which is always exciting. Nothing like walking to the showers when a bloody rocket goes off and then having to leg it to the bunker in your flips flops. Thankfully, they were inaccurate shots, landed on the helipad and caused no injuries or damage. Of course, given it's a large base, they don't have to be overly accurate, odds are they can eventually hit a building or someone. One of our patrols also was engaged by small arms fire, but again, no issues for our lot and the accompanying helicopters saw to the insurgents.

The weather has cooled off nicely, mornings and evenings are cold with clear sunny days. Most mornings I get up early (0530ish) and get a workout in or run, then it's to the HQ for the daily rhythm of meetings and briefings. As we are fighting a counterinsurgency there is a complex series of coordination's required in order to synchronise our efforts. There are multiple elements on the battlefield and we need to make sure that we coordinate so we don't undo or interfere with other units actions. We are subordinate to our Polish NATO partners so I am learning some Polish as we work daily with them. It is interesting to see how they operate and appreciate the different cultural subtleties. They certainly (as do most other armies) come across as more relaxed and informal than the US but are professional and seem excited to be here. The food certainly has a Polish flavour to it in the mess hall, with a preponderance of pickled things and heavy on meat dishes.

There are several local businesses on the base a coffee shop, barber, tailor and several electronic shops selling all the knock off electronics and DVD's you could ask for. "Genuine" Apple iPhones for only $100 dollars, "Rolex" watches (also $100) and all sorts of Oakley glasses for only $20......."special price for you my friend". Several of the lads have loaded up on the usual rugs, blankets and local clothing, so if nothing else we are supporting the local economy. Which considering they lob mortars at us, I argue is very inconsiderate!!!!!!!!! There is also a local restaurant which sells an interesting mix of Chinese and Indian food, which is not the best food fusion I have seen but it is different from the mess hall and makes a welcome break.

It's time for an update "from the front" as it were. It's been very busy since my last writing, we are well settled in and knocking out missions at a good pace. The weather has become very cold, not the Arctic snow some of you are getting in Northern Europe, but similar temperatures with biting cold winds. We've even had a few dust storms, which I normally associate with the summer, but not this time. The dust storms become an issue as it prevents heli's from flying which prevents MEDEVAC from flying, so it limits our ability to perform missions.

We have been busy, missions ranging from single day, a few hour missions to multi day missions in the various parts of the province. There have been some great meetings with local officials and we have several projects lined up for the future, ranging from a rehab of a dam, sponsoring women's education to combat patrols. A lot of our missions are with our Polish colleagues which is interesting but not without challenges. The Poles have proven to be enthusiastic partners, willing to work with us and, like people everywhere, Soldiers are Soldiers. They do not plan missions like we do which has posed some challenges, they are used to more top driven process and being told what to do. However, the majority of them speak good English and are professional and competent Soldiers. They do face some cultural barriers with the Afghans as a lot of their equipment, especially their helicopters, is former Soviet kit, which tends to provoke old (bad) memories of the Soviet invasion back in the late 70's.

Enemy activity has been increasing all around us, but fortunately we have not had any contacts or attacks. Some Polish and Afghan Soldiers have been injured by IED's but thankfully all have survived thus far. We have a Field Surgical Team (FST) here on the base and many of the casualties are brought here. Our medics pitch in to help with the FST and are gaining some great experience, helping with surgeries and so on. We have had one of our lads sent back to the States due to a wrist injury sustained while loading boxes, he will require surgery to fix the damage, so he was sent home.

My daily routine is generally get up around 0500 for PT, either running or in the gym, clean up and in the HQ by 0730 followed by a quick breakfast. I usually attend the Polish Brigade morning briefing and then spend the day in our HQ. We have various meetings and briefings, all part of the coordinating and synchronisation of our efforts and activities. I'm generally in the HQ all day and usually get to my room in the evenings around 1900. Some days are earlier or later, all depends on what's going on with missions. I don't generally get to leave the base, my role here is the Executive Officer/Deputy Commander, so when the commander is away, I have to be here to run the show.

Ahoy shipmates: We will be running a half marathon in conjunction with the Houston Marathon/Half, so I'll be there in spirit. 26 laps on a half mile dirt track, should be a great time!!!!! I run every chance I get.

We have a great staff and are actually having a good time with all this. I did have to tell my lads they can't have a rotating disco ball for the Tactical Operations Centre (TOC), so I take that as a sign we must be having a good time. I've attached a picture of our lot, you will see what I mean.

Thanksgiving was a quiet day, by virtue of being on a Polish base. In the Army tradition the officers served the meal to the Soldiers, although we didn't wear our dress blues, part of the tradition, given where we are. It was a great time, the lads got a kick out of it, although the Polish seemed confused. Sort of gave us the look of "Wow, those majors must have really screwed up, they've got them on KP!!!!!"

I am making some strides on learning Polish, one of the Polish officers on their Civil/Military team is teaching us basic Polish, so they have a good laugh at our painful attempts to get around the consonant heavy pronunciation. It seems we are a source of amusement to them, but they have invited us to their Christmas carol service, provided we sing "Silent Night" in Polish, so that will be a laugh to say the least.

As regards Christmas, it'll probably be a "low tempo day" here providing the Taliban are on board with not doing anything, but that remains to be seen. We are swimming in cookies, chocolate, fudge and various candies and sweets. Several churches and scout troops have "adopted" us and are sending loads of packages, so we are well taken care. I am truly impressed, that after nearly 10 years of war, people still take time to think of our troops. It is heart warming to know people still care. Several of the lads also have bought some Christmas decorations and one of our patrols was seen with the gunners sporting "Rudolph antlers" on their helmets by way of getting into the spirit of the season. I offered to the commander we should load the gunners up with red and green tracers given the season but he didn't seem to think that was the best idea thus far.

Cheers
    Attached Files

Appreciate the great update rgr. Merry Christmas and keep safe!
    "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

keep safe and rattle a few tracers off on new years eve...

Comment

Great picture, look a good bunch! I saw one chap had a nametag "McMahon". I used to know some McMahons from Monaghan, is he one of them by any chance?

Take care, stay safe all of you!
        Last edited by Flamingo; 25 December 2010, 21:59.
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Which one are you Irishrgr ?

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
            I saw one chap had a nametag "McMahon". I used to know some McMahons from Monaghan, is he one of them by any chance?
            no offence - but c'mon, does that McMahon fella in the pic really look like he is a Monaghan man?!
            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
              no offence - but c'mon, does that McMahon fella in the pic really look like he is a Monaghan man?!
              Clearly its been a while since you were home.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

LOL at the McMahon comments....actually he and I had a conversation about the origin of his name and he is very convinced he has Irish roots. He traced his lineage and apparently there is some record of a "McMahon" who had a child with a then slave and thus we have the "black Irish", just like the band in The Commitments, right? I'm skeptical, but whatever.

For those with inquiring minds, I am front row, second from the right beside the female, took years to get the "war face" down. Autographs can be arranged for a small fee........

I tried to link up with ARNGScout, but we never could make it happen, and happily, I can report he is back home having Christmas with the family.

Cheers,

A

Comment

Sorry, that is the right as we were looking at the camera, thus it would be the viewers left.......military right, eh?

A

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                    You've been to long the other side of the pond RGJ, your sense of irony is eroding
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                    X