new British Commando unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new British Commando unit

UK Landing Force Command Support Group (UKLF CSG), which existed from 2001 to 2010 has been remustered as 30 Commando IX (Information Exploitation) Group giving the unit a similar style name to other commando units in recognition of their contribution to combat operations.

Under its original guise, UKLF CSG, the unit has been deployed on operations in Iraq (2003) and Afghanistan (2006, 2008/2009); however, the name UKLF CSG was no longer deemed appropriate to reflect its role.

Major General Howes praised the covert battlefield intelligence-gathering unit and said the name was also a significant honour in memory of those in the unit who have died in combat, adding:

"It is with great pleasure to be here today at the remustering of 30 Commando which reawakens the unit's fighting name as a band of brothers."

read more here: www.mod.uk/30commandoIX

i posted this because although the UKLF CSG's work is well known within the British Forces they are not normally very public and not many realise their covert battlefield role which is stated as:

"30 Commando IX Group today now employs electronic warfare, intelligence, manned and unmanned aerial surveillance, information and psychological operations and communications to provide the commander of 3 Commando Brigade with the information that he needs in order to make decisions in any operation.

On the ground in Afghanistan this means 30 Commando IX Group locate the enemy, understand his complex tribal/feudal society and enable troops to take action against him."

some great work there for the more 'diverse' lads to get their teeth into, and i am glad they are finally gaining recognition for this crucial covert role.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

RM have a long history of renaming existing units

Comment

yes it's a rename but i'm highlighting the unit and it's role which i find quite interesting, and not the name.
      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

The buildings look unsurprisingly similar to our Barrack Buildings.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          The buildings look unsurprisingly similar to our Barrack Buildings.
          yeah i thought that too Goldie - maybe they got Irish builders in?
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Tarmac wasnt done by US!

Comment

30 Commando Support Squadron on operations in Afghanistan recently:

RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
              X