CO gets bitten.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO gets bitten.

Lieutenant Colonel Jez Hair, Commanding Officer of 16 Medical Regiment, drew the short straw in the 'Bite the Boss' charity event, conceived by one of his own non-commissioned officers to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.

"Spectators cheered from the sidelines as the Colonel sprinted off (as fast as he could in the suit) only to be knocked to the ground seconds later by the highly-trained dog; this happened not once but twice, with Rex finishing the event chomping down on an exhausted Lt Col Hair's arm."

read more here: www.mod.uk/dog_fundraiser

i posted this because it's nice to see a CO get bitten now and then

basically - he approved the event and the lads stitched him up and made him the bait. nice one lads.
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 8 January 2011, 00:01.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Might seem like a stupid question but where has the dog come from?

I know I'm looking at pictures on a screen but it doesn't look very big. Having said that size isn't everything.

Comment

the Army Veterinary Corps get their dogs from all over the place and if they have the right temprament and pass the course and are deemed fit for purpose then they are in.

i wouldn't like to fcuk with him, or the dog!
      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Fair enough, handled dogs (large ones) all my life but never had one two foot off the ground attached to me by its jaws only.

As for the Lieutenant Colonel and the dog ...... wouldn't Fcuk with either, either.

Another stupid question .. What's the dog's normal role?

What are the different roles for dogs in the BA?

Comment

Originally posted by Orion View Post
          What are the different roles for dogs in the BA?
          i'm not a Dog Handler (one of our trades) but i know many who have transferred into that trade and enjoyed it.

as far as i know we have 'guard dogs', 'search dogs' and 'war dogs'.

the names speak for themselves with the 'war dogs' being the absolute nutters that attack anything on sight, while guard dogs are obedient.

the British Army actually prefers to obtain it's dogs outside of the UK and preferably as far east as possible with many dogs coming from the Czech Republic and Poland. i was told it's because the British Kennel Club and it's ethos has led to many traditional breeds who are normally suitable for this work being 'altered' and no longer fit for purpose after generations of breeding in the UK.

i also know that taking dogs on patrol in Afghanistan has saved many lives because suicide bombers will not initiate if a dog is present for fear of tarnishing their own flesh with that of a dog.

i had a chance to be the 'bad guy' doing this in Northern Ireland many years ago and i thought to myself "no worries, i can easily fight a dog off" - how wrong i was, these dogs are lunatics and just keep coming at you until their handler calls them off.

i'm sure this is also what the Commanding Officer thought as he ran from the dog initially!
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Dog looks like a Dingo.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I don't think I would have passed the selection if I had wanted to go in as a Dog Handler, but I think I'd have loved the job!

Comment

Working...
              X