Missing weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing weapon

The Defence Forces have launched an investigation after a gun and a quantity of ammunition were found to be missing from the LE Niamh.

Following a routine inspection by the Naval Service yesterday, the pistol, two magazines and 100 rounds of 9 millimetre ammunition were missing.

Both Military Police and Garda investigations into the matter have been launched.

A complete review of security procedures in the Naval Service is currently underway.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/g...#ixzz1B2C7lHpl
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Hopefully this will be a bit like that Tipp Garda who put his riddler in another cupboard, and nothing sinister....
    But there's no danger
    It's a professional career
    Though it could be arranged
    With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
    If you're out of luck you're out of work
    We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Pistol, 2 magazines and 100 rounds of 9mm stolen from LE Niamh

Just saw this:
      The Defence Forces have launched an investigation after a gun and a quantity of ammunition were found to be missing from the LE Niamh.

14/01/2011 - 17:18:54

Following a routine inspection by the Naval Service yesterday, the pistol, two magazines and 100 rounds of 9 millimetre ammunition were missing.

Both Military Police and Garda investigations into the matter have been launched.

A complete review of security procedures in the Naval Service is currently underway.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/g...#ixzz1B3TxzGkW

Comment

Didn't realize a thread had already been made about this subject. My bad!

Comment

The quantity of ammo would rule out a training loss.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Nixer

Why do you reckon its a Nixer and not theft. I understood nixer to mean a job on the side, unless you class armed robbery as a nixer/tommer

Comment

I don't think it'll be fun for whoevers career rolls as a result.

Comment

[MOD: I have removed a number of posts because I think they are OPSEC - please be careful about what you post]
                "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

ok vickers.. people did not do their checks so

Comment

+1

Re the thread "When will it happen here" there will be accountability (what exactly happened) and responsibility (is someone to blame for what happened).

Whatever transpires, I can't see a press statement citing "systemic weakness" a la the HSE and everyone riding off into the sunset.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessup View Post
                      +1

Re the thread "When will it happen here" there will be accountability (what exactly happened) and responsibility (is someone to blame for what happened).

Whatever transpires, I can't see a press statement citing "systemic weakness" a la the HSE and everyone riding off into the sunset.
                      Indeed. There will be a culprit, who if caught will be prosecuted outside the Mil Law system, and a victim, who within the Mil Law system will be treated the same as the culprit, because he/she allowed it happen.

Comment

Didn't a bunch of FNs disappear once during a Leb resupply run, ruining someone's career, only to turn up later in some cubby hole?
                        Meh.

Comment

Didn't a bunch of FNs disappear once during a Leb resupply run, ruining someone's career, only to turn up later in some cubby hole?
                          That was an army problem, no naval reprocussions.

I have no doubt that it was caused by a systematic weakness and one would think that security related weaknesses especially in regard to weapons and ammunition were a thing of the past given the experiences gained of a thirty year escalted security situation.

It may be of a case of shutting the door after the horse has gone and indeed the culprit may even be found...but will the weapon and the ammo be retrieved?
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            It may be of a case of shutting the door after the horse has gone and indeed the culprit may even be found...but will the weapon and the ammo be retrieved?
                            Dont tell me your down a horse as well

1 Pistol 2 Mags and 100 Rds is more than a mere mistake on the range,

I really hope its a case of the weapon was put in the wrong locker

as opposed to a comrade stole and sold same.
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

if its not found by now.its a serious case and security will be massive

Comment

Working...
                              X