Trauma Risk Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trauma Risk Management

In a stark diversion from his traditional role, a Company Sergeant Major from the Royal Irish Regiment in Helmand is helping his soldiers to talk through any problems they may have and overcome any mental health issues.

He operates the TRiM (Trauma Risk Management) system which teaches soldiers to spot signs of mental distress in their colleagues.

WO2 Potter of 1 Royal Irish speaks with his Rangers after a patrol

The aim is to encourage troops to talk about their problems and seek help at the earliest stage from the team of community psychiatric nurses and consultant psychiatrists who are on hand in Afghanistan to provide any care and treatment needed.

Listening to individual soldiers.

read more here: www.mod.uk/TRiM

a very important part of combat operations, it's good to see this sort of thing being practised on the front-line to give soldiers a better opportunity to express themselves and get their emotions off their chest.

mental scarring is sometimes the hardest and longest to heal.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Good idea! I presume other forces have similar programmes.
    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

I don't see why this is news worthy!

1) There should be a debrief on the patrol anyway
      2) The chain of command should be watching for it anyway (welfare of the troops)
      3) This kind of thing has been going on in the DF for probably around 20 years!

1 or 2 points - it should be relaxed, maybe not were outsiders can, get them out of body armour & helmets!

Comment

Its a really really great idea,

we have something similar in place.

I used to think that the need to talk about ones problems was American hoopla shite- but like a lot of things

I was very wrong-

we really need to get not only our troops but our young people to talk about their problems, the days of the

macho shit of stiff upper lip are thankfully gone-

The Coroner in Offaly yesterday dealt with a number of suicides and said its rampaging through Ireland

and the fecker is right.

Well done to the BA for recognising a problem and putting a soloution in place-

Anyone on here in authority- make sure your troops/employees know they can talk to you, encourage them to do it- dont wait for them to come to you.

anone on here who have mates or acquinatances- make sure they know that you will listen and not judge.

Apart from Dublin winning in Septemeber, leeds being promoted, Leinster winning in May my only other wish is not to have to go to another young persons funeral.
        funeral
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I think there is a lot to be said about a CSM being to one delivering this sort of talk to younger troops.

What he says is likely to garner more attention than some fluffy-type who hasn't "been there".

Comment

Originally posted by Napp View Post
            I think there is a lot to be said about a CSM being to one delivering this sort of talk to younger troops.

What he says is likely to garner more attention than some fluffy-type who hasn't "been there".

The TRIM course is available to anyone deploying to theatre. 16 Medical Regiment run it in Colchester.

Comment

Originally posted by rod and serpent View Post
              The TRIM course is available to anyone deploying to theatre. 16 Medical Regiment run it in Colchester.
              Anychance you could slip me the syllabus

a friend of mine is very into stuff like this
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Hedgehog
                Apart from Dublin winning in September,

Last time we talked about this I pointed out that the last time Dublin beat Kerry Elvis was still alive!!

But it is not the end of the world-there are probably some things more important than the All-Ireland Football Final.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  I don't see why this is news worthy!

1) There should be a debrief on the patrol anyway
                  2) The chain of command should be watching for it anyway (welfare of the troops)
                  3) This kind of thing has been going on in the DF for probably around 20 years!

1 or 2 points - it should be relaxed, maybe not were outsiders can, get them out of body armour & helmets!
                  yeah you're right - i mean the MoD shouldn't have posted it and either should i, i guess - sorry.

there are a lot of lads that don't often see this side of the military so i was only posting out of interest.

yes most armies have had this in some guise over the years but mostly in token value.

but ask yourselves this - is it really effective and being put into practice in the Irish DF or other armies? because i showed this to a friend who was on the last tour in Chad and he said it was a great idea and although they had been told there were such provisions in place- he was never debriefed in this capacity after any patrol he did.

might be all well and good on paper but unless you get the man to sit down and talk to the troops like this CSM in the Royal Irish is - it's worth feck all. we have put a lot of effort into it and as you can see Rod and Serpent has highlighted the course on the subject.

to that end Dev, what is the equivalent Irish DF course and where is it held? surely if "this kind of thing has been going on in the DF for probably around 20 years" as you say then it must be a very well publicised and attended course.
                  Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 25 January 2011, 20:20.
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                    yeah you're right - i mean the MoD shouldn't have posted it and either should i, i guess - sorry.

there are a lot of lads that don't often see this side of the military so i was only posting out of interest.

yes most armies have had this in some guise over the years but mostly in token value.
                    Think I took you up wrong, I was under the impression this was a brand new thing for the BA.

but ask yourselves this - is it really effective and being put into practice in the Irish DF or other armies? because i showed this to a friend who was on the last tour in Chad and he said it was a great idea and although they had been told there were such provisions in place- he was never debriefed in this capacity after any patrol he did.
                    Was there an incident that required a CISD?

to that end Dev, what is the equivalent Irish DF course and where is it held? surely if "this kind of thing has been going on in the DF for probably around 20 years" as you say then it must be a very well publicised and attended course.
                    There isn't and it isn't (apart from in Ministers questions in the Dail).

All officers (not sure about other ranks) cover elements of CISD and related topics during their cadetship.

All officers and SNCOs cover CISD and Stress for a good number of hours, all others get a brief on it for a couple of hours (this is done prior to deployment).

The above is conducted by PSS (Personnel Support Service) (who are qualified in this type of thing) and the DF Psychologist.

In cases where CISD may occur, PSS and other trained personnel are deployed overseas to the unit if required. Sometimes they go overseas and debrief personnel prior to coming home.

Comment

Having said that - http://www.ijpm.org/index.html?level=3&artid=39

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                        Anychance you could slip me the syllabus

a friend of mine is very into stuff like this
                        Hedgie, will have a word with a mate who did it recently, hopefully he will give me the heads up......and the syllabus too.

Comment

no Dev, i was just highlighting the fact that now it is a proper methodology and being put into practice on a daily basis.

anyhow, it's only a good thing and we can all learn from each other on stuff like this for the future.
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Hedgie, I found this article in the RAMC Journal Re TRiM

and MOD link

This Page is [ARCHIVED CONTENT] and shows what the site page http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/TrainingAndAdventure/CopingWithTraumaFollowingMilitaryOperations.htm looked like on 31 Dec 1900 at 23:59:59

Comment

Working...
                            X