Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Man 8x8 Irish Recovery Trucks??

Just a quick post

Thought I read somewhere that the Irish Army have ordered two new 8x8 Recovery trucks.
    I believe they are meant to be off the same production line as that being produced for the British Army.
    Below is a link for the vehicle (but no mention here of an Irish order)

Anyone else heard anything??

Think they might have been delivered, there was some pics of them floating around, Luchi will know more probably.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

I'm almost sure that Luchi posted photos of this vehicle somewhere in this thread
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

while we are waiting for the pics of the Irish DF vehicles, i took this pic of one of ours looking lost and lonely in Desert Cam in the snow here in Canada:

i've heard good and bad things about them from the crew that operate them.

what are they actually replacing in the Irish DF?

Attached Files
        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 1 February 2011, 06:54.
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

They have them.I saw one on it's way to the Glen.
          regards
          GttC

Comment

They are replacing the Man 6x6 "Beast" that was bought in 1986 or thereabouts. There was also an Iveco 8x8 Astra, similar to the Iveco Drops, but i'd say it had all the other issues that Iveco had. I don't remember it being fitted with a crane either, just a spectacle lift and recovery winch, with a 15t Hiab.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
              I'm almost sure that Luchi posted photos of this vehicle somewhere in this thread
              not me.

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              New MAN Recovery Vehicle

Transport Corps Ex 2010 by dfmagazine.ie, on Flickr

Nice!
              and

I was hoping Rex could get some more but I might get the opertunity myselfe soon!!
              Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Looking at those flickr sets, what was used to stack the containers 2 high ? I didn't think a regular DROPS could do that.
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  Looking at those flickr sets, what was used to stack the containers 2 high ? I didn't think a regular DROPS could do that.
                  The crane on the new vehicle. However I wouldnt have thought they were full when the lift was done. The crane does not look like more than a 20 T. There is a photo of the lift elsewhere in that set.

Transport Corps Ex 2010 by Irish Defence Forces, on Flickr
                  Last edited by Goldie fish; 1 February 2011, 22:07.

Comment

AFAIR only one has been delivered so far, but the second is due any day
                    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

nice pics lads, i am sure you will put them to good use wherever they end up in the future.

good kit, but MAN have been out here recently looking at ours and have left with a list of proposed modifications for them from soldier feedback.
                      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        The crane does not look like more than a 20 T. There is a photo of the lift elsewhere in that set.
                        Container is only 15 T

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                          Container is only 15 T
                          So?
                          A 20t crane can only lift 20t within its minimum working radius, ie, inside the stabilisers, or at the opposite radius from the ballast counterweight. At full extension you'd only lift about 1t at best.
                          There is usually important information stamped on the side of a crane about these things.

Don't mean to lecture, but it's worth knowing what a crane can lift before you expect it to lift something, i.e 7t TCV.

I hope you aren't a civil engineer

Comment

i am, and if you use the search function you would see I explained, in even simpler terms, the same thing back when the 8x4s were bought.

I incidentally the 8x4 HIAB XS288EP-3 HiPRo has a 10,000kg lifting capacity at 2.3 metres and therefor would stack the empty ISO container.

Now if you look at the post above you will see the boom is only on first stage extension.
                            It also looks to me to be stronger than the HIAB but looks can be decieving.
                            also
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfmagaz...5156926558/ing

this shows it is operating well within its stabilisers.
                            finally,
                            You said it looks like a 20T. what if its a 30 or 40 T???

So there is no reason to assume that the vehicle would not be capable of lifting a full contaner.
                            Last edited by luchi; 2 February 2011, 23:09.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

What's the Max Gross for a TEU again?18T is it? Presuming a full TEU is 18T you would need it to be at least 60T to lift with any degree of safety. The NS got caught out with their 90t Crane, which they wanted to lift a full TEU onto a ships deck, from the quayside. They were advised to go for a 200T, to allow a bit of extra scope. But the Minimum they required was a 90T and that is what they got.

The photo looks as if it is working just inside the stabilisers. It is unfortunate that the brochure for the vehicle does not include the Working Limits of its crane.

Comment

Working...
                              X