NZ SAS to stay in Afghanistan for another year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZ SAS to stay in Afghanistan for another year

The New Zealand Prime Minister John Key has confirmed that the New Zealand SAS deployment to Kabul, Afghanistan, will be extended for another year from April.

Mr Key said:

"The SAS are extremely well respected for what they do, so obviously our traditional allies on the ground in Afghanistan, the United States, Britain, Australia and Canada, and others, obviously would love to see the New Zealand SAS there because they do a great job and they make a real difference."

The New Zealand SAS will focus primarily on partnering with the Afghan Crisis Response Unit and ensuring the work they have been carrying out to bring that unit to a high operational standard is completed. This is the main reason for the extension of the deployment.
    "

NZ SAS soldiers in Afghanistan

read more here: www.newstalkzb.co.nz/sas_extend_afghanistan

the British Defence Secretary Dr Liam Fox welcomed this decision and said:

"This is a great example to many of the sleeping giants who have greater capability and greater budgets who should be showing the level of commitment that is being shown by New Zealand."

i agree - there are many other nations (not just the sleeping giants) SF troops who could get stuck in.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Your man on the right is in the hang over

But there's no danger
    It's a professional career
    Though it could be arranged
    With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
    If you're out of luck you're out of work
    We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

He is actually a highly decorated SAS Cpl.. That photo showed him back in A-Stan after receiving a Victoria Cross.

In total disregard of his own safety, Lance Corporal Apiata stood up and lifted his comrade bodily. He then carried him across the seventy metres of broken, rocky and fire swept ground, fully exposed in the glare of battle to heavy enemy fire and into the face of returning fire from the main Troop position. That neither he nor his colleague were hit is scarcely possible. Having delivered his wounded companion to relative shelter with the remainder of the patrol, Lance Corporal Apiata re-armed himself and rejoined the fight in counter-attack.
      Last edited by Craghopper; 4 February 2011, 15:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
        He is actually a highly decorated SAS Cpl.. That photo showed him back in A-Stan after receiving a Victoria Cross.

I knew I recognised his face, by all accounts a very brave soldier and a VC winner too.

Comment

Cpl Apiata VC

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post

Beat me to it.
            "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

yeah but hes still in the hangover

Comment

yeah but hes still in the hangover
                He obviously brought his wolfpack to Afghnistan.

Got to work with them on my tour when we did a joint OP. Very professional, got none of the "we're SF, your part-timers" nonsense from them. Great bunch.
                There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by ARNGScout View Post

Got to work with them on my tour when we did a joint OP. Very professional, got none of the "we're SF, your part-timers" nonsense from them. Great bunch.

Agreed ARNG,
                  David Maloney, who was interviewed here on NZ Radio served with the NZ SAS in Vietnam and eventually commanded NZ SAS and was also CO of the NZ Army contingent monitoring the ceasefire in Rhodesia- he was an incredible leader and one of the most down to earth guys you could meet.

Comment

Originally posted by rod and serpent View Post

Cpl Apiata VC
                    Not to be negative now, but anyone else struck by the fact that he's only a corporal (he's apparently been in since 1989...maybe the fact that the majority of that service was in the Territorial Force makes a difference)?
                    "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by faughanballagh View Post
                      Not to be negative now, but anyone else struck by the fact that he's only a corporal (he's apparently been in since 1989...maybe the fact that the majority of that service was in the Territorial Force makes a difference)?
                      Promotion must be slow.

Comment

Nice bit of background here- he might have even learned a bit from working alonside the ARW

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post

THAT was exactly my reaction when I saw this picture for the first time !

Originally posted by ARNGScout View Post

Yep, I' ve met a lad from ARW on a Defence Forces course in the past, and it was the
                          exact same in terms of attitude, fair play...
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Funnily enough the other guy with the helmet made me think of
                            this lad ....

"Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Could it be that the NZDF is small and that the NZSAS being a fairly smaller portion of said organisation which one would presume has not got huge turn over, would slow down the rate of promotion.

Or maybe hes happy being a Cpl, outside the US its not a bad rank to have in that one has direct contact with the troops at the cutting edge of things, whereas in the US (I believe the marines are slightly different) its seems to be a side step rather than a promotion. (though I may be wrong on this).
                              But there's no danger
                              It's a professional career
                              Though it could be arranged
                              With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                              If you're out of luck you're out of work
                              We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Working...
                              X