Irish Guards Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Guards Question

I know roughly, infantry regiments in the Ba tend to get deployed to afgan ever 2 to 3 years, but I'm just wondering did any of ye hear when the Irish Guards will be deploying there again, as I know they're there at the moment, but I'm just wondering whats the likelyhood of them getting deployed there again in the next 3-4 years? With it being a guards regiment and having to do the extra public duties aswell?

If they are still part of 16 AA then it will be about 2 years til they are deployed next.

Comment

The 5 Guards regiments rotate public duties between them (not sure how often). There are also 2 companies which reinforce the regiment on public duties.

Of the 5 at any 1 time 2 are on public duties.

Also British troops are due to pull out by the end of 2014.
      Last edited by DeV; 20 February 2011, 16:05.

Comment

3 Cdo Bde are due to go out next. I`m not sure if any Guards regiments are part of that orbat. I think 1 Rifles are the infantry element of 3 Cdo Bde.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          The 5 Guards regiments rotate public duties between them (not sure how often). There are also 2 companies which reinforce the regiment on public duties.

Of the 5 at any 1 time 2 are on public duties.

Also British troops are due to pull out by the end of 2014.
          I think the grenadier and coldstream guards have an extra company each dedicated to public duties which keep the traditions of these regiments now defunct 2nd battalions alive.

Comment

Ceremonial units

Grenadier Guards have Nijmegen Coy
            Coldsream Guards have No 7 Coy
            Scots Guards have F Coy

The extra coys are the remnants of the respective 2nd Battalions.

Comment

the Irish Guards are re-roleing slightly on their return from Afghan and will be moving from London to Aldershot (where they will see much less Public Duties for a few years) and during this time expect them to deploy to Afghanistan again with their new Brigade (19 Light).
              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

I presume as a light role infantry battalion.

Comment

You can even join the Guards Para platoon (Part of 3 Para) if you want, thats if you are up to the mark that is.

Comment

Working...
                  X