Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Empty seats in Parliament for Afghanistan Debate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empty seats in Parliament for Afghanistan Debate.

Below is an extract from Hansard for yesterday 14 February . David Miliband refers to the fact that there were very few MPs present for the debate. Anyone who wishes can see this on the Parliamentary Channel.

It is a pity that a quarterly report back on the War in Afghanistan evokes so little interest in the Commons itself- I would suggest that this is the real scandal of yesterday- not the matter of the emails terminating serving soldiers.

David Miliband (South Shields) (Lab): I thank the Defence Secretary for the open way in which he conducts these quarterly reports. I hope that we can have a longer debate on Afghanistan, because there is a danger that it will become the forgotten war-as we can see from the relatively few Members in their places.

With permission, Mr Deputy Speaker, I have two questions. First, on security, the Defence Secretary did not mention the annual and respected UN security assessments. They were reported in The Wall Street Journal in December and showed that security deteriorated across the country in 2010. I wonder whether he will commit to publish those assessments, or a summary of them, because the maps were very clear.

Absolutely tim, absolutely.

Politicians are the same the world over, aren't they.

Comment

Working...
    X