Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Army Exercise Grand Prix, Kenya.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Army Exercise Grand Prix, Kenya.

British forces are in Kenya to take part in the annual exercise Grand Prix which aims "to train Battle Groups in an environment similar to Afghanistan".

Senior officers are based at the Mount Kenya Safari Club in Nanyuki-I trust that the A La Carte Menu is complemented by an appropriate "Carte du Vin"

Located in the Mount Kenya Wildlife Conservancy, we stand out among hotels in Nanyuki with a swimming pool, spa, golf course, fine dining and nature activities.

and "exercise"!!! ???? -walkies with Ducia and Volga!

Located in the Mount Kenya Wildlife Conservancy, we stand out among hotels in Nanyuki with a swimming pool, spa, golf course, fine dining and nature activities.
    Last edited by timhorgan; 19 February 2011, 13:33.

Well, if it wasn't four star, the RAF wouldn't participate.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Tim - i've done Ex Grand Prix and i've been to that very Safari Club socially.

the Officers are not 'based' there - they frequent there on their downtime and their will be some personal expense involved.

show me how you have come to this conclusion that they are 'based' there.

SNCO's usually visit another safari club and JNCO's and below go somewhere else.

this offers some respite and comfort in an otherwise uncomfortable environment where all exercising troops, including officers live with the soldiers in a tented camp when not out on the ground in exercise conditions.

it's called "Investment in People" and we usually get the same deal in any country we visit.

even here in Canada we have a coach laid on every other weekend to take the lads to Calgary or Edmonton to stay at a hotel the British Army has done a deal with and the whole weekend away including transport and accommodation costs only CAN$50.

your illusions that our officers are living it up in the safari club for the duration of the exercise are far from the truth - they go where their men go and during their downtime they can go here - that is all.

actually when i was last in Kenya, my whole Company was put up in the Inter-Continental Hotel in Nairobi at public expense for a night before we flew out because we couldn't take one of our 'R&R Nights' in Nanyuki - you can't get better looked after than that.

but thanks for highlighting how well we look after our officers and soldiers alike
      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 19 February 2011, 16:28.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

RoyalGreenJacket;
        show me how you have come to this conclusion that they are 'based' there.
        The rooms are booked by the MOD through an outsourcing travel company-Hogg Robinson- on a 3-month rolling basis. But that is not the point I was trying to make- what I was wondering was how did staying at this luxury safari lodge "replicate conditions in Afghanistan".

Best of luck to them I say- I have many happy memories of staying at the luxury Troutbeck Inn in Inyanga in the Eastern Highlands on the Mozambique border when I was technically at a locstat slightly higher up the mountain.

What happens at BATUK stays in BATUK- just do not let people involved in the cuts in the NHS know!!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
          even here in Canada we have a coach laid on every other weekend to take the lads to Calgary or Edmonton to stay at a hotel the British Army has done a deal with and the whole weekend away including transport and accommodation costs only CAN$50
          Nice...
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            Nice...
            Very very nice.....ill let you know just how nice next monday
            Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by knocker View Post
              Very very nice.....ill let you know just how nice next monday
              Why ? Will the court cases have been heard by then ?

"Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Calgary is the dogs
                Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

im glad you had a great time Knocker, im up in. Edmonton tonight - got a good deal through Hogg Robinson actually (we can also use them to book hotels for us when we are on leave and they get us the Government Rate) so once again, thanks for reminding me to use them with your post Tim.
                  RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                  X