Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining a Foreign Military.

Hi there,

Not sure if this is allowed are anything i couldn't find anything that suggests otherwise, If this does infringe on the boards rules please let me know. Anyway i'm looking into joining either the U.S or British armed forces, i left school to join the PDF but after i sent in my application the recruitment embargo happened and so i think the only other way to go is to join a foreign military, now i have been doing a bit of research into both military's and they both have there advantages and disadvantages, like the U.S you need a green card and from what i hear they are really hard to get and on the other hand since i am an irish citizen i can join the British army. I have always been interested in the military ever since i was five, most of my family members have served with the PDF or the british army. Another question i have is about fitness, i know you have to be fairly fit, but i'm not, i am a "keyboard Warrior" so to speak for the last few year i have sat at a computer, programming games and i don't think i have what it takes fitness wise to join the military but i really want to keep up the tradition. Any help would be much appreciated. Oh and by the way i don't know if i got the fact right or not so please inform me if i didn't.

Kind Regards,
    Chris

Talk to RGJ for BA, or ARNGScout for US
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by irishwarrior View Post
      Hi there,

Not sure if this is allowed are anything i couldn't find anything that suggests otherwise, If this does infringe on the boards rules please let me know. Anyway i'm looking into joining either the U.S or British armed forces, i left school to join the PDF but after i sent in my application the recruitment embargo happened and so i think the only other way to go is to join a foreign military, now i have been doing a bit of research into both military's and they both have there advantages and disadvantages, like the U.S you need a green card and from what i hear they are really hard to get and on the other hand since i am an irish citizen i can join the British army. I have always been interested in the military ever since i was five, most of my family members have served with the PDF or the british army. Another question i have is about fitness, i know you have to be fairly fit, but i'm not, i am a "keyboard Warrior" so to speak for the last few year i have sat at a computer, programming games and i don't think i have what it takes fitness wise to join the military but i really want to keep up the tradition. Any help would be much appreciated. Oh and by the way i don't know if i got the fact right or not so please inform me if i didn't.

Kind Regards,
      Chris

Call RGJ he`s a scaleyback.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure
        Standing by for inbound RGJ post.......
        The time difference has a lot to answer for
        "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Go for it, But don't accept a table beside the jacks. Make sure it's an IRISH Regiment.

Comment

Warrior
            PM me , ill give you the low down on joining the British Army
            Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
              Go for it, But don't accept a table beside the jacks. Make sure it's an IRISH Regiment.
              Why's that i'm not joining an Irish Regiment
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                Talk to RGJ for BA, or ARNGScout for US
                Originally posted by SwiftandSure
                Standing by for inbound RGJ post.......
                sorry i left this so long lads - i'm in the Canadian Rockies skiing with my family (perks of the job) but my soldier senses told me there was a potential new recruit for us out there somewhere

anyhow here you are IrishWarrior and welcome. Knocker and myself are both Senior NCO's in the British Army with decades of service among us all over the world so anything you wanna know then just ask - no question is a stupid question - unless you are a langer which you are but we can put that to one side for now.

right mate if geekery is your art then a Communications Systems Engineer (Comm Sys Eng) is what you must be:

www.army.mod.uk/commsyseng

the basic entry tests are the same for almost any trade but you won't be expected to be as fit as the Infantry lads and those in other combat trades and this will always be the case later on in your career too. given your background you will p|ss all over the entry tests and you will be guided towards this trade (Comm Sys Eng) anyhow.

plenty of scope for travel and operational tours - and it's all high-band pay too and if you are good enough coming out of training they might even throw a tape at you too (breaks my heart but it's true).

anyhow have a look at the link i sent you and have a look at the link in my signature below to see if there is anything else that interests you - all the default info you need can be reached from that link but if anything is not on there that you need to know about then drop me or Knocker a line.

i would stay longer and write more but i need to get some shlaffen in before i head to Lake Louise tomorrow for more skiing.

take it easy lads and i expect a message from you in my inbox IrishWarrior.
                RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                X