X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alec Murphy

Colleagues in gun salute farewell to crash victim
    KATHRYN HAYES

FULL MILITARY honours were bestowed at the funeral in Limerick yesterday of a young father who died in a road crash.

Alec Murphy (26), Crossagalla, Old Cork Road, Limerick, was killed last Sunday afternoon after his motorcycle was involved in a collision with a 4x4 vehicle on the N24 near the Caherconlish junction in Co Limerick.

Mr Murphy, who had been in the Naval Service for seven years, was a trainee technician based at the National Maritime College in Cork.

Large crowds attended his funeral Mass at Our Lady Queen of Peace Church in Janesboro yesterday where the funeral march was played by the band of the First Southern Brigade.

Cmdr Mark Mallett, flag officer with the Naval Service, led the military mourners, while Naval chaplain Des Campion concelebrated the mass.

Parish priest Fr Pat O’Sullivan thanked the Naval Service and Mr Murphy’s friends from the Bike Club for their support.

“Even though Alec’s family are greatly saddened, they are still celebrating his contribution and his presence in their family. They will deeply miss him,” Fr O’Sullivan said.

Naval personnel formed a guard of honour as Mr Murphy’s coffin, draped in the Tricolour, was taken from the church.

He was buried at Mount Saint Oliver Cemetery, where his Naval colleagues fired a gun salute.

The father of one is survived by his parents Alec and Bernie, son Ruairí and sisters Michelle and Melissa.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Rip

Comment

Rest in Peace

Comment

Rest in Peace Sailor.

Comment

Sad news, condolonces to his family and comrades.

Well done to the Naval Service for giving a Comrade a professional and respectful send off.
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Rest in Peace
            I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Rip \:)|

Comment

May he + Rest In Peace +

Sympathy & Condolences to Family, Friends & Comrades.

Comment

Rip\:)|

Comment

Rip.

Comment

r.i.p.

Comment

Rest in Peace
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Rest In Peace
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Rest in peace.
                            Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war!

Comment

Working...
                            X