Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical & Physical (Irish vs others)

Originally posted by macs View Post
    Hi everyone. I understand the rules banning laser eye treatment are under review? Anyone know how long this might take? I'm hoping to contest for a cadet-ship in the next couple years before I'm too old (24 now), but no idea if the results of the review will be out in time for me, as currently my vision (-3.25) is below the cut off point Surely, seeing as it is allowed in most armies, including the British, and is actually encouraged in the US, there's only one way it can go? My main worry is that it'll be tangled up in bureaucracy for years to come, until it'll be to late for me! Any one got a clue on how long it may take? Thanks!
    We have higher entry standards for fittness, medical, education etc, than the yanks and brits who just take anyone.

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
    We have higher entry standards for fittness, medical, education etc, than the yanks and brits who just take anyone.

really? define 'higher' Rhodes.

i have 2 friends who failed the medical for the British Army but were accepted into the Irish DF - one of those was because of his eyes.

i don't know of any lads who failed the Irish DF medical then joined us.

so, if you would like to elaborate and tell me how the Irish DF's standards are 'higher' than the Yanks and the Brits then that would be great thanks.

otherwise - stop talking sh|te about something you know nothing about.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

hahaha sense of humour fail there RGJ.

Last time I looked min eyesight requirement for BA was less stringent than the DF. The DF does not accept bods who have undergone laser corrective surgery which is a newish rapidly evolving field with little long term research.
      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
        hahaha sense of humour fail there RGJ.
        nah it's just called counter-sniping.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

RGJ, I know people who failed the eyesight for the PDF but passed it for the BA.

I can't find the standard required on the British Army website (I don't trust wiki etc), you probably have access to it (it is on enlistment we are looking at).

But the US Army is not worse than 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other OR 20/30 in one eye and 20/100 in the other OR 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other.

The DF is 6/18 in each eye.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
            really? define 'higher' Rhodes.

i have 2 friends who failed the medical for the British Army but were accepted into the Irish DF - one of those was because of his eyes.

i don't know of any lads who failed the Irish DF medical then joined us.

so, if you would like to elaborate and tell me how the Irish DF's standards are 'higher' than the Yanks and the Brits then that would be great thanks.

otherwise - stop talking sh|te about something you know nothing about.
            Ok then,

1.5 mile run time: DF = 11.5 mins, brits = 12 mins 45 sec (for infantry, up to 14.5 mins for others).
            Press-ups: DF = 20 in 1 min, brits = 21 in 2 mins.
            Education: DF = need Junior Cert, brits = none required.
            Criminal convictions: DF = f*** off you scumbag, brits = you get a "second chance".

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              RGJ, I know people who failed the eyesight for the PDF but passed it for the BA.

I can't find the standard required on the British Army website (I don't trust wiki etc), you probably have access to it (it is on enlistment we are looking at).

But the US Army is not worse than 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other OR 20/30 in one eye and 20/100 in the other OR 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other.

The DF is 6/18 in each eye.
              i'm not at work so don't know the exact criteria but this just means the tests are different and doesn't mean standards are 'higher' than each others just because Laser Eye Surgery is accepted in the British Army.

Ok then,

1.5 mile run time: DF = 11.5 mins, brits = 12 mins 45 sec (for infantry, up to 14.5 mins for others).
              Press-ups: DF = 20 in 1 min, brits = 21 in 2 mins.
              Education: DF = need Junior Cert, brits = none required.
              where are you getting your info from Rhodes because sit-ups and push-ups are no longer a part of the Soldiers entrance test into the British Army as they are considered dated and we have replaced those 2 tests with the following 5 tests:

Jerry Can Test
              Dynamic Lift
              Heaves
              Static Lift
              Back Extension

however even when we did do push-ups and sit ups the scores required were as follows:

Press-ups: DF = 20 in 1 min, British Army = 44 in 2 mins (British Army required higher standard)
              Sit-ups: DF = 20 in 1 min, British Army = 50 in 2 mins (British Army required higher standard)

yes the entrance standards for running are slower in the British Army but the standards within the British Army are higher for trained soldiers:

1.5 mile run time: DF = 11.5 mins, British Army = 10.5 mins (British Army standard is higher).

and this is what a recruit must achieve by improving over time in training or he will not pass-out.

sources:
              Irish DF GS Handbook
              British Army Entrance Standards

APOLOGIES FOR DIGRESSING A BIT ON THIS ONE BUT:

and as for criminal convictions - it is not so cut and dry as:

Criminal convictions: DF = f*** off you scumbag, brits = you get a "second chance".
              this is infact the case:

"Some convictions are forgotten – or ‘spent’ – after a rehabilitation period. The length of this period depends on the offence. You must tell us about any unspent convictions you have. For some jobs you’ll need to tell us about any convictions when you apply, whether spent or not. You need to be honest – if you hide a conviction before joining up, you could be prosecuted later. "

because we believe in giving a young lad a second chance for a silly mistake if not too serious.

so i suggest you look elsewhere for 'higher standards' Rhodes as other than the actual entrance running test, they are not required in the Irish DF.
              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 27 March 2011, 22:16.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Just to correct Rhodes - yes, there's a maximum time allowed for the 1.5 miler. Yes in some cases it goes up to 14 minutes depending on role and age. But there's a catch - you can't pass the pre-test without running the 1.5 miler in under 10:30.

Comment

We aren't comparing like with like then so!

Comment

Better...faster..stronger...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev
                      Yo, right here

Comment

Can't we all just agree that we're all just maaaaaaaaaaaaaaarvelous?

Comment

Common sense and at this hour of the morning, much respect.

Comment

I am an old fart in my 50s and to be honest the min standards for both DF, BA appear rather low. I am luckly,am healthy, play touch rugby , do a few press ups , pull ups, and sit ups, wlk the dogs etc drink a bit too much probably but can complete these tests without a problem so how come they are so low for potentail soldiers//

Comment

That is the basic standard to get in Bandit, to keep you job the standard is a lot higher for both

Comment

Working...
                              X