Royal Navy rescue 5 people in 4 callouts in one evening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Navy rescue 5 people in 4 callouts in one evening

A Royal Navy Search and Rescue team recovered five people in four call-outs on one day this week, in the face of challenging turbulence in the mountains along Scotland's west coast.

The series of call-outs, which were to last almost nine hours in total, began to unfold at around 1700hrs on Tuesday 31 May 2011, when the crew was scrambled to rescue an injured man on Ben Nevis.

A Royal Navy Sea King Search and Rescue helicopter from HMS Gannet conducting mountain rescue training in Scotland

After more callouts and casualties the helicopter landed on Skye at 2305hrs and was only on the ground a short while before getting airborne again with the casualty and two medical experts for the flight back to Glasgow, landing at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre at around 0100hrs.

At around 0215hrs, after a brief wait in Glasgow, a tired HMS Gannet team finally landed back at base, after a gruelling nine-hour stint.

read more here: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...ByNavyTeam.htm

sounds like a busy night, i guess most of us don't really realise what goes on.
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 2 June 2011, 19:59.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

all rescue teams will probably be busy as with hot sun and cold beer this weekend could be hectic for them... well done all involved

Comment

Well Done the RN. The Culdrose based 771NAS were regular visitors to Cork in the past.
      What squadrom operates the Seaking in HMS Gannet?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Bear in mind they have the coast guard and the RAF and the army for back up and still give us a dig out when required.

One hell of a service provider the RN.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

819 NAS. Prestwick.

Comment

i have no idea about all this SAR stuff - i just know some of you are into it so i posted it.

i genuinely didn't know how busy SAR gets - obviously this was an exception but still - they do a great job (all SAR both sides of the Irish Sea and elsewhere - not just the Royal Navy).
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
              Bear in mind they have the coast guard and the RAF and the army for back up and still give us a dig out when required.

One hell of a service provider the RN.
              Yes and no, at the minute depending on where you are in the UK: the RAF, RN or CG could come to rescue you!

Comment

Good job. Sounds like a long day.

Comment

Shouldn't someone be crowing on about British propaganda by now?

Isn't there a member of the opposing force here to tell us how the British are both baby killers and comically incompetent compared to a mythical race of peace loving dancing-at-the-crossroads ubermenschen?

oh good.

Back on topic are non core-defence function units like this likely to suffer in the looming cuts?
                  "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

The RAF SAR units were due for the chop as part of the governments defence review. They had been a target for a while but were given a reprieve.

Oddly enough the reprieve was announced around about the same time that a certain person was posted to RAF Valley as a sea king pilot.

Comment

Win for them.

Isn't there a template on Cyprus for RAF pilots in leased Civilian helicopters.

i
                      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                        Win for them.

Isn't there a template on Cyprus for RAF pilots in leased Civilian helicopters.

i
                        no not as far as i know - we still use the RAF Griffin out there for SAR and it played a key part in the Evacuation from Beirut in the Lebanon / Israeli conflict when i was out there.

RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

The Squadron operates four aircraft, supplied and maintained by the civilian company FBH services, but operated by experienced military aircrews.

Comment

Working...
                          X