Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marine killed by Taliban leaves £100,000 in his will to send 32 of his mates on holid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine killed by Taliban leaves £100,000 in his will to send 32 of his mates on holid

OK, it's the Sun but it's still a great story:

Marine David Hart killed in Afghanistan RIP

A ROYAL Marine killed by a Taliban bomb left £100,000 to send all his mates to Las Vegas.

David Hart, 23, took out life insurance before he went to Afghanistan.

And he wrote a letter saying a chunk of the £250,000 policy proceeds should pay for his pals and their girlfriends to go on a party trip in his memory if he died.

Now 32 friends are jetting to the US - a year after David died in the Helmand danger spot of Sangin.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/3647074/Marine-killed-by-Taliban-leaves-100000-in-his-will-to-sendbr-32-of-his-mates-on-holiday.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=Our+Boys#ixzz1Q8rNlELY

fair play to the guy, he did what many of us only ever talk about.

RIP Marine Hart.
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 24 June 2011, 01:37.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

An awful waste of money.

Comment

Sounds odd,how can a letter operate as a will,soldiers and sailors wills were done away with here in 1967.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontroller View Post
        An awful waste of money.
        if it is his dying wish - then it is not a waste.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

An awful waste of a Life.
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
            Sounds odd,how can a letter operate as a will,soldiers and sailors wills were done away with here in 1967.
            As its the sun danno , you have to join up the dots ! Replace the word " letter " with " will " All service personnel make one before deploying
            Last edited by knocker; 24 June 2011, 14:14.
            Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Brilliant. Waste of money? Not at all in my opinion. Gave a bit to charity and the rest is going to the people he cared about, who no doubt will have a ball drinking to his memory.

RIP
              "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                if it is his dying wish - then it is not a waste.
                Ah tis, you wouldnt get far in Vegas on 100k.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

who cares - it's the gesture that counts and it's what he wanted, fair play to the bloke.
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

True Bootneck Humour in the face of adversity
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by knocker View Post
                      As its the sun danno , you have to join up the dots ! Replace the word " letter " with " will " All service personnel make one before deploying
                      How are they witnessed.

Comment

Hats off to him. Still lookin after his mates. They'll give him one hell of a send off thats for sure. RIP

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                          How are they witnessed.
                          i did a few of the standard Army Wills when i was a young Rifleman, usually it was done in the platoon office - all single lads present, with the Sarge or Boss telling us what to write and i'm not sure they actually signed it.

on one occasion i remember writing my will in the pay office only with the pay clerk present, again i'm not sure if it was ever counter-signed either.

we get checked what seems like almost on a monthly basis for our Will and NOK details.
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Thanks for reply,to avoid any confusion ,any will made in jurisdiction here must be witnessed by two other persons ,all 3 present at same time of witnessing.
                            The 1960 DA permitted PDF members on UN duty to make soldiers and sailors wills ie unwitnessed but this was repealed in 1965 wef 010167.

Comment

Working...
                            X