• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinook Pilots to be cleared

From the BBC

Mull of Kintyre Chinook crash report 'clears pilots'
    By Tim Reid
    Political correspondent, BBC Scotland

The Chinook helicopter crashed on the Mull of Kintyre on the west coast of Scotland in 1994
    Continue reading the main story
    Related Stories

'Safety link' to military crashes
    New doubt cast over Chinook crash
    MoD Chinook documents revealed
    An official review into the Chinook helicopter crash in Scotland concludes the two dead pilots should not have been blamed, the BBC has learned.

Twenty-nine people died on the flight from Belfast to Inverness when it crashed on the Mull of Kintyre in 1994.

The independent report, chaired by retired judge Lord Philip, is expected to say that the pilots should not have been accused of gross negligence.

Lord Philip's recommendations will go to the defence secretary.

In what was the RAF's worst peacetime accident, the Chinook carrying 25 of Britain's most senior intelligence experts and four crew crashed in thick fog, killing all on board.

Over nearly two decades, campaigners have sought to have Flt Lt Jonathan Tapper and Flt Lt Richard Cook cleared of blame, but successive defence secretaries have refused to overturn the findings of two RAF Air Marshals.

The two pilots were blamed for gross negligence but the conclusions have been disputed by campaigners ever since.

After a nine month inquiry, Lord Philip's recommendations have now been submitted to Defence Secretary Liam Fox, who is due to make a statement to MPs next week on the findings.

Campaigners hope that the defence secretary will posthumously clear the pilots of blame.

Susan Phoenix, the widow of Royal Ulster Constabulary counter-terrorism expert Ian Phoenix, who died in the Chinook crash, said: "If it is true I am delighted.

"I am delighted the pilots have been cleared.

"However, I am disappointed the families were not told first."
    An official review into the Chinook helicopter crash which killed 29 people in 1994 concludes the two pilots should not have been blamed, the BBC learns.
Working...
X