Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• £700 bill to deliver soldier boots.

Thursday, 14 July 2011

MoD officials spent more than 700 pounds shipping a pair of boots to a soldier in N Ireland, an MP has revealed

Ministry of Defence officials spent more than £700 shipping a pair of boots to a soldier in Northern Ireland, an MP has revealed.
    Plaid Cymru's Westminster leader Elfyn Llwyd said that with cuts to public spending across the board, the Government could ill-afford to waste money on private couriers to deliver boots to soldiers.
    He said the serviceman had ordered the £45 pair of boots as a non-urgent item from the defence logistics centre at Bicester but then a private courier was instructed to deliver them at a cost of £714.18.
    During Prime Minister's Questions, Mr Llwyd asked David Cameron: "In these days of a rush to make savage cuts in public spending, the decimation of the police service and the hammering individuals due to the withdrawal of legal aid, can I ask you to justify the following expenditure?
    "At the beginning of last month a serviceman from Northern Ireland asked for a pair of non-urgent boots, £45.
    "They were despatched from defence base Bicester by private courier to Northern Ireland at a cost of £714.18. Isn't it time he got a grip of this?"
    Mr Cameron replied: "I know former health ministers wanted to hear the rattle of every bed pan and maybe I need to see the order of every pair of boots in the military.
    "But I recognise the point you make and one of the things we are trying to do in the Ministry of Defence is recognise that there's a huge amount of cost in terms of back office and logistics and we want to make that more efficient so we can actually spend money on the front line.
    "The example you give is a good one. I will check it out and see if we can save some money."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/700-bill-to-deliver-soldier-boots-16022772.html#ixzz1S5ywFe00

Personally I`m sure surprised they didnt go to Kinniger Logs Base.
    Last edited by rod and serpent; 14 July 2011, 18:01.

just shows the efforts we go to to make sure the blokes get the right kit
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Something v. fishy here..ie. backhanders all round. Amazon can do a pair of Magnums for less than £20.

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
        Something v. fishy here..ie. backhanders all round. Amazon can do a pair of Magnums for less than £20.
        Yes, but afiak and perhaps rgj can comment, the BA are using the scorpion now, which is a virtually identical boot to the magnum boot we use, bar an extra strip of fabric on the sidepanel. Typically goes for about €85 retail so I'd say the £45 is about right.

Comment

who the feck wears magnums nowadays?

Originally posted by northie View Post
          Yes, but afiak and perhaps rgj can comment, the BA are using the scorpion now, which is a virtually identical boot to the magnum boot we use, bar an extra strip of fabric on the sidepanel. Typically goes for about €85 retail so I'd say the £45 is about right.
          actually as far as i have seen we have only ever used genuine Hi-Tec Magnums, i've never seen the Scorpion but we haven't issued Magnums in years. last time i was issued a pair was in 2006 in Cyprus, since then it's all Lowa's and Meindl's (for Desert Boots) and various other types but not Magnums as black boots.

i currently have a vast range of boots issued to me.
          Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 14 July 2011, 23:12.
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

I was using " Magnums " as a generic term for " pair of boots " before yiz get all sidetracked !

Comment

I was using " Magnums " as a generic term for " pair of boots " before yiz get all sidetracked !
              oh.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Magnums are the DF's "Light Operational Boot" (for general wear around barracks)

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
                  So are we.The Amazons aren't made anymore.Scorpian model has replaced it.DF is issuing them now to those who need replacements.Besides the side panel they also have a Kevlar toecap.The are replacing both the normal Amazon model and the safety toe version issued to Arty and Engrs.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                    So are we.The Amazons aren't made anymore.Scorpian model has replaced it.DF is issuing them now to those who need replacements.Besides the side panel they also have a Kevlar toecap.The are replacing both the normal Amazon model and the safety toe version issued to Arty and Engrs.
                    I didn't realise the Amazon had been superceded, so I Googled to see what the
                    Scorpion looked like, and could not tell the difference between it and the Amazon...
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                      I didn't realise the Amazon had been superceded, so I Googled to see what the
                      Scorpion looked like, and could not tell the difference between it and the Amazon...
                      Look at the Cordura side panel's towards the foot end.Their is an extra strip of strengthening material visible on the Scorpions.Also if you look at them on.The toe cap is noticeabley "chunkier".
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Magnums are the DF's "Light Operational Boot" (for general wear around barracks)
                        what's the General Service boot for the Irish DF?

i notice the latest Irish DF recruits in training using the Magnums - not much support in them - i'm surprised they are allowed wear them given the risk of injury especially in training.
                        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                          what's the General Service boot for the Irish DF?

i notice the latest Irish DF recruits in training using the Magnums - not much support in them - i'm surprised they are allowed wear them given the risk of injury especially in training.
                          Magnums in barracks, Haix on exercise/operations

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                            Originally posted by Vamp369 View Post
                            Magnums in barracks, Haix on exercise/operations
                            really?

then someone needs a word with the 98th Recruit Platoon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfmagazine/sets/72157626756590346/

looks like they are all wearing Magnums to me.
                            Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 18 July 2011, 21:53.
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

hahahaha
                              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X