Columb Barracks closing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columb Barracks closing?

Troops were told yesterday apparently Save Columb Barracks page up on Facebook!
    Pity a really great barracks and units both PDF and reserve.

yes but surely the troops / units will just relocate?
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Facebook page is "KEEP COLUMB BARRACKS OPEN" has nearly 2000 members in less than 6 hours a lot of votes.

Comment

Playing devils advocate here, what strategic reason is there to keep it open?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Accommodation what other BKS has the space. think about it

Comment

Originally posted by goc132 View Post
            well obviously they have thought about it, and they must be moving the troops to another barracks where there is accommodation.
            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Accomodation is hardly a strategic reason, is it?
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

You say accomodation, I say inefficient use of space. Athlone is too close to you.

Comment

for reference
                  "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

So it's confirmed that it is closing then ? Hasn't hit the media yet, AFAIK...
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

just looks like giant square with an accommodation block on 3 sides, a church and some parking spaces...
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

The Buildings(like every barracks in ireland) is of historic significance, but otherwise, nothing unique that would require it remain in DF hands.
                        14 acres is 14 acres.

Comment

Might I ask how this is confirmed. Has anyone got a link to it.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

theyre talking about it in the news section!

but this quote from willie penrose? "Ireland’s only artillery barracks" is this true? does that mean that its the only barracks which has nobody BUT arty in it!?
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Minister wants Army barracks to stay open

Minister wants Army barracks to stay open
                              EOGHAN MacCONNELL

ANY DECISION to shut down Columb Barracks in Mullingar, Co Westmeath, would be “foolhardy” and “mind-boggling”, according to Longford-Westmeath Minister of State Willie Penrose.

Emphasising his “long-standing commitment” to Columb Barracks, the Labour Party Minister said: “It’s mind-boggling because it doesn’t make sense, logistically or economically.” The barracks should be enhanced rather than closed, he said, adding that “any savings, putative savings . . . are minimal in the overall context”.

Home to about 200 members of the Defence Forces, the barracks is Ireland’s only artillery barracks and benefits the local economy to the tune of €6 million, according to Mr Penrose.

Concerns are mounting over the future of the barracks following a meeting of high-ranking Army officials at the site on Monday. The fear is that the barracks may shut under the Government’s spending review, with troops being transferred to Custume Barracks in Athlone.

In reply to a query to his press spokesman, Minister for Defence Alan Shatter said: “As of now, no decision has been made by the Government in relation to the future of any particular military installation.”

However, he said, various commissions, reports and studies dating back to the 1990s identified barracks closures as a fundamental requirement towards improving military effectiveness and efficiency.

“In particular, I wish to ensure that all decisions made and resources utilised are focused on maximising the capabilities of the Defence Forces and ensuring their continued operational excellence.

“I am also anxious to ensure, insofar as is possible, that the Government is not compelled by fiscal and budgetary constraints to effect any substantial reduction in the current number of personnel in the Defence Forces.”

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Working...
                              X