Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What weight is in a backpack

Hi.

When I'm in the Phoenix park I see groups of army lads on a run/forced march. If anyone has ever done this I am wondering what's
    A) the distance
    B) the time to do it and
    C) what's in the bag and what it weighs

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

a) 10km
    b) 93 minutes (if under 30)
    c) full water bottle, Wet Gear, Spare Smock, Spare Boots and helmet - approx 14kg

Comment

Info here:

Interestingly enough, no mention of the weight... anyone from RDF South there to point this one out to the site admin ?
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I've been doing the ITS since 2008 and the backpack has to weigh 12.5 kilos.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          a) 10km
          c) full water bottle, Wet Gear, Spare Smock, Spare Boots and helmet - approx 14kg
          You forgot CEFO.That has to be worn aswell.NO stipulation what has to be in it though.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

My ipod usually
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              a) 10km
              surely all of these items aren't mandatory, and is it the same weight carried by all arms of the Army?
              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

For the 10k loaded march test yes and yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                  For the 10k loaded march test yes and yes.
                  spare boots?

on a fitness test?
                  RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

It makes weight

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                      You forgot CEFO.That has to be worn aswell.NO stipulation what has to be in it though.
                      Copied and pasted from an RDFRA publication.

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      surely all of these items aren't mandatory, and is it the same weight carried by all arms of the Army?
                      Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      spare boots?

on a fitness test?
                      It is just to make up weight really never seen the contents checked just the weight.

Everyone that does Part 3 of the test (to the best of my knowledge all) carry the same

Comment

Copied and pasted from an RDFRA publication.
                        Who are you gonna believe?RDFRA or someone who does this for a living?C'mon.

It is just to make up weight really never seen the contents checked just the weight.

Everyone that does Part 3 of the test (to the best of my knowledge all) carry the same
                        Correct on the second point.Down south we regularly get told to empty the Bergen before the test to check its contents.Depends on the testing officer though
                        .All arms of the Army dont do the part 3.Only Combat and Combat support units.CSS units don't do it unless going overseas.
                        Last edited by apod; 30 January 2012, 18:35.
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

So does that mean I need to be issued a spare smock before doing Part 3?

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                            Who are you gonna believe?RDFRA or someone who does this for a living?C'mon.

Correct on the second point.Down south we regularly get told to empty the Bergen before the test to check its contents.Depends on the testing officer though
                            .All arms of the Army dont do the part 3.Only Combat and Combat support units.CSS units don't do it unless going overseas.

Worn or carried? Any time I've seen it done, they have had CEFO in the CEMO. In fairness it said CEMO containing..... (CEMO of course includes CEFO)

Or a course that requires it I presume?

It should normally be the BPEO that does the testing ?!

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                              So does that mean I need to be issued a spare smock before doing Part 3?
                              No.
                              Your not going to want to wear your smock on the 10k, so just pack your smock.

Comment

Working...
                              X