JFK Funeral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFK Funeral

It is not often publicised these days that the ceremonial guard at the graveside at John F Kennedys funeral was made up of a guard from the cadet school,who had greatly impressed the US President on his visit to the Garden of rememberance,during his irish stay.
    I read recently about a few people on that guard,and the rifle drill they carried out being described as the "queen anne" drill,presumably with 303's though FNs would also have been in use at this time. It seems the rifle was during the movement turned through 360degrees.
    Does anyone have more details on this event or the drill involved?

Apparently the Guard at Arlington now carry out this same ceremonial drill.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Ive seen pictures of it and im pritty sure it was the 303
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
    http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

JFK Funeral

JFK was very impressed with the cadet drill at the Garden of Remembrance. He used to often watch a recording of it when back at the White House and delighted in showing it to visitors. When JFK was killed, Jackie his wife contacted the Irish Govt. and requsted a Cadet guard be supplied for his funeral.
      The weapon used was of course the .303 and the drill was per the Manual of Arms Drill. Funeral drill does require the .303 to go through 180 degrees!
      I have never heard that the USMC adopted Irish funeral drill.

Comment

The guard at arlington is the US Army not USMC, unless of course they rotate it.

Comment

A recent TV program showed a clip from the garden of rememberence, when JFK was there, there was some drill been carried out with the FN and it looked like 303 drill. The cadets were shown as well and i think they had the 303.

Would be interesting to see the drill. There must be a mannual some where covering it up, maybe military archeives have info on it? Would there have been special drill introduced??

Comment

I remember the FN Funeral drill. Not quite Queen Anne but just as impressive. One of the old timer sin the unit showed us with the 303 once...Lots of kicking and slapping of butts...(Rifle butts that is)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I remember seeing a video of Irish Funeral Drill and it is impressive. Pitty its a dying art form that is no longer thaugh:( :( :(
              Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
              http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

on the program they were shouldering the FN, like what was done with the 303.
                Did i read some where that for a time when the fn was first introduced that 303 drill was used with it? Could this be a explaination?

The styer is not as impressive, its just spun around slowly down 90deg.

Comment

A PDF cadre member of my unit once spoke of being part of the guard for the funeral of Dev-weapon used was the the FN-he said there were 14 movement to the reverse arms. He did bits he could remember, very impressive.

Comment

Having carried out the funeral drill with the FN......its a pain in the arse.......marching with weapons at the reverse slope arms is uncomfortable to say the least....steyr is a gem dip the barrel and nod the head.....Ar Do Airm A Ais Iompraithe........Lui!

The FN drill starts at the present arms and the weapon is rotated to the barrel facing down wards ...the hads are changed ( don't drop it) muzzle placed on the toe cap of the boot with the palms of the hands resting on the butt plate..the order Amach is given and the arms are brought in to a count of ten followed by the head and eyes ...when both hands have been placed the oder ar do airm a ais iompraithe .....lui is giveen and the head is bowed and there you shall remain until relieved............

The time honoured prayer from the detail goes as follows

Ashes to ashes

Dust to dust

Lets bury the bastard and get back on the bus !
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I remember learning, the Funeral drill on the FN. The Slow march, tring not to drop the bloody thing while swapping arms (both arms were swapped at the same time not like the Aistrig Airm) No wonder the FN had metal buts it was dropped on the but or some recruits toes regularly, speaking of Buts trying not to smack yourself in the Jaw with the but while reversing it!! I've seen it done one lad put 3 of his teeth through his lip doing it, Also looking extremely sill while trying to place your're hands on the But!!. (big swinging movements) not dissimilar to Sword Drill in appearance"
                      Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

SMLE or No4?

What 303 was used by the cadets, was it the old SMLE as used in WW1 or the later No4 designed in the 1930's?
                        Well Hurrah and Hussar!

Comment

remember seeing a video of Irish Funeral Drill and it is impressive. Pitty its a dying art form that is no longer thaught
                          what do you mean by that Thorpe- its and pardon the pun alive and kicking in the east- we regretably get to do a funeral at least 1 every 2 months- although i remember when i was a brand new private we were doing firing parties at least once a week
                          steyr drill looks crap but i think i read here that it was been updated
                          if so - is any member here a member of the board looking into updating it
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

hedgehog,

you stated in previous post's that you were a sgt in a pdf inf bn working in a training office:confused: :confused: , and in this post you say that you have seen irish funeral drill "on video" :confused: :confused: ,thought you had eighteen year's service, surely you must have done full funeral drill in recruit training as to my recollection it was a part of the sylibus for the fn:confused: :confused: .

just one more thing, if you are a training sgt in a cadre in a pdf inf bn, how is it that you only read about the change of arms drill for the styer HERE on a public forum and that you are looking to see if any members are looking to update it here:confused: :confused: , surely you would have access to any update's in your present appointment:confused: :confused: ,

keep safe.

Comment

please read the message again- you will find that i was actually quoting Thorpe- I was asking him in a round about way how come he had never seen Irish military funeral drill except on a video-some Units i know never do it because of their size, while some operational units (like mine) do a lot of it- if he had replied I was then going to ask him where he seen the video in the hope i could borrow it as a training aid- with me so far-
                              as i said when i was a brand new private we went through 2 very busy winters where the OLD IRA were dying off, so we were on Funeral parties quiet frequently-your last comment on how come i dont know about proposed changes to the drill, well I just dont- the only place i ever heard about it was here- If you were a member of the PDF you would realise that sadly we are probably the last to know- no matter what appointment- if it was the fire or ambulance service then the personell at the coal face would be the first to know- but that my friend is not the situation
                              I hope i cleared up your concerns and if your in any further doubt, please dont hesitate to send me a private message
                              regards
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                              X