New medal ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by popeye View Post
    I hear it will only be issued to the PDF which is ironic really.

were did you hear that?? and why ironic???

Comment

Several Members of the Defenc Forces have been awarded the NATO Meritorious Service Medal MSM in the last two years i Officer and 2 NCO's.
      The dilemma for the Irsih Defence Forces is that the BMC (MMG) and the BSD (DSM) are the only two awards that can be issued for acts of heroism,Meritorious service,for leaders ship or for highlighting the profile of the Defence Forces in other ways.
      Most Armies all over the world have several awards that can cover all aspects of recognising acts therefore allowing the award of such medals.
      The fact that the Defence Force have only two such awards leave the bar too high and thus members of the DF are not put forward for awards. The New Zeland Defence Forces is a good example and it is basically the same size as our own DF.
      I relation to the topic in this section most countries record silver,golden,diamond Jubilee medals as did the Garda in this country in 1972 (Jubilee Medal) and in 2000 (Millennium Medal) ,

Comment

Whats the worst dilemma,getting an undeserved merit medal or everybody getting one regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
          Well, the Volunteers were part-time soldiers who served in a voluntary basis, with wildly varying standards of training and equipment, and with often no more than token units in rural locations.

Comment

Probably ironic in the fact that the Irish Volunteers were a part-time force who suffered from equipment shortages, lack of uniforms. The Irish Volunteers and sucessors fought a full time force and didn't become full time itself until 1921.

Comment

danno;369217]Whats the worst dilemma,getting an undeserved merit medal or everybody getting one regardless.[/QUOTE]

To my mind the situation can only create huge embarrassment. Let me give you an example.
              If you had a Millenium Medal say and then a Jubilee Medal or whatever, and, being perfectly entitled to them but if you had no medals for operational service in a combat zone during that time period would you not feel a little sheepish on parade. This is a serious question,

Long Service, Good Conduct etc. by all means but let us not devalue the concept.

Comment

does anyone on this board think the British devalue the awarding of medals look up their site before you answer

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                  RDF already have a service medal for such.
                  Errr, the PDF also have a Service Medal....
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

i wonder how many they will make? if they are making them!!
                    how many troops in the rdf would be able to get one??
                    also where does it stop would there be one for the centenary of 1916

Comment

i wonder how many they will make? if they are making them!!
                      how many troops in the rdf would be able to get one??
                      also where does it stop would there be one for the centenary of 1916
                      And you also have the anniversary of start of the War of Independance, the establishment of the Free State, the establishment National Army?

Is there really any point in medals commemorating an anniversary of an historical event?
                      Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war!

Comment

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
                        If you had a Millenium Medal say and then a Jubilee Medal or whatever, and, being perfectly entitled to them but if you had no medals for operational service in a combat zone during that time period would you not feel a little sheepish on parade. This is a serious question,

Long Service, Good Conduct etc. by all means but let us not devalue the concept.
                        the award of such particular medals has nothing to do with service in a 'combat zone' - everybody knows exactly what they are for and as such nobody would think any less of those wearing them - however most lads with required service for such medals will surely have qualified for operational service in a combat zone somewhere along the line - so they've done their bit and fair play to them.

medals awarded for someone elses special occasion / anniversary don't really carry much weight and we consider those 'gizzits', but they do recognise service and and to that end i think any medal seen fit to be awarded deserves respect.

medals are awarded for a reason and if a medal is struck for the anniversary of the 'Irish Volunteers' then wear it with pride.
                        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                          Errr, the PDF also have a Service Medal....
                          No Shit, Sherlock.

Comment

Well said Royal Green Jacket

Comment

I'm new to this forum so go easy on me lads haha

I hope this does actually happen and while I do agree that medals should be earned, but this is clearly a special case so why not mass issue this medal??, It didn't do the Gardaí any harm after all!!

I don't see why the RDF shouldn't be issued this medal also (The FCA stand down medal in 2005 didn't cause much of a fuss and can be seen as a precedent for this situation), one way it could be issued is that an eligibility requirement should be at least 2 years prior service for this medal or something like that??,

The problem In my opinion is that The Defense Forces as a whole lacks a dedicated system for awarding medals, all there is really is the MMG, Service medals and Overseas Tour Medals. The Defense Forces would benefit greatly if they introduced for example their own version of the Purple Heart and say award the MMG for lesser acts of Valor and create (along with a whole range of new medals) a purpose made highest military honor (equivalent to the U.S Medal of Honor and Victoria Cross) that all members are eligible for and can strive to achieve.
                              "Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself." -Francis Meehan.

Comment

Volunteer Medal

If may be permitted to go off on a slight tangent concerning the possible issue of the 'Volunteer Medal'. Quite apart from properly marking an important historical event, there is a need to reclaim ownership of the title 'Irish Volunteers'. Every one of us who serves, or who has served, whether regular or reservist, did so as a member of 'Oglaigh na hEireann' - The Irish Volunteers. We need only look at our tunic buttons to be reminded of this. Unfortunately, over the years, that title has been usurped by individuals and organisations whose aims are contrary to the constituition which every member of the Defence Forces swears to uphold. I doubt if there are any of us who would not be happy to see the DF taking the high ground and reminding the Irish public that the Defence Forces are the only body which can legitimately claim to be the successors to the Irish Volunteers of 1916 and to use that title.

"It shall be lawful for the Government to raise, train, equip, arm, pay and maintain defence forces to be called and known as Óglaigh na hÉireann or (in English) the Defence Forces".

S.16 Defence Act 1954

Comment

Working...
                                X