Single point slings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single point slings.

Myself and a few of the boys were chatting during the week, and we arrived on the topic of slings for the rifle, and how the current one was a little basic. We were wondering if you could use an enhanced (read: guccier) sling with the rifle, most likely a bungee/non bungee one point sling, and how you'd attach it, either on the existing sling that's tightened up and moved to the outside (drill) position, or on the rear sling swivel. This raised 2 interesting points, whether a taut sling would affect functionality of the rifle, and if attached by 1 swivel, would that place excess and harm causing stress on the rifle.

So I have 3 questions for you:

1) Have you used/seen a single point sling in use on the rifle?

2) How was it attached (Rear sling swivel/ taut sling method/ other)?

3) What were the user opinions on it, and did it adversely affect performance?
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

1) I have used one not on a steyr though (a friends Swiss Arms carbine) but I have seen one used on a steyr.

2) The one I observed was attached just to the rear sling swivel.

3) My opinion on a single point sling is as follows
    Pros
    - It keeps the weapon close at hand.
    - It allows quick transitions to a side arm (not an issue in the DF for the most part I know)
    - Does not interfere with shouldering the weapon.
    Cons
    - It allows the weapon to move about a lot particularly if there is a bungee section in there. Crossing fences and the like can get interesting.
    - You can't sling the weapon behind your back if you need your hands free for some reason. Say searching someone or climbing over something.

As to the person who I observed using a one point sling on a Steyr they echoed most of the same points. It did not appear to affect the function of the rifle.

I use an adjustable two point sling (a Vickers Tactical one but there are other brands too) on my rifle. It works the same as a two point on the steyr except when you sling it behind your back you can easily tighten it up so it doesn't swing around. For example picking up brass with a slung Steyr was always a pain as it moved about swinging back around to the front when you bend over etc.

Anyway thats my two cents.
    "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

I use a single point sling (SPS) in conjunction with a normal sling. I prefer the SA80 type sling over the issued sling as well, but I don't really use it since getting the SPS.

My SPS just attaches to my chest rig but isn't a standalone sling. It doesn't interfere with the weapon, and with the quick release clip, is very easy to switch between slings or just remove the weapon from the rig altogether. I hang it from the rear swivel loop and have had no problems with that. I do however prefer to place the rear swivel loop on the right side of the rifle to make placing the butt in the shoulder easier.

Comment

Don't the magpul ms2/ms3 give you the option to transfer between 1 and 2 point slings?

Comment

There is a sling that attaches to the rear sling swivel and has a strap around the body in between the pistol grip and the mag, im not sure if it would get in the way of mag changes though

Comment

Lads you can improvise a kind of single point sling by pulling the free end of the sling through the rear sling swivel after you have attached the sling in the normal way.Forms a kind of loop.Another way is to attach the free end of the sling to the back strut of the optical sight.We did this in Kosovo as the practice on some patrols was to patrol with the rifle muzzle down by the side as to appear non threatening.Saw some pics of the lads in Chad doing the same.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
              Lads you can improvise a kind of single point sling by pulling the free end of the sling through the rear sling swivel after you have attached the sling in the normal way.Forms a kind of loop.Another way is to attach the free end of the sling to the back strut of the optical sight.We did this in Kosovo as the practice on some patrols was to patrol with the rifle muzzle down by the side as to appear non threatening.Saw some pics of the lads in Chad doing the same.
              Don't like that way personally, the rear swivel is only held in by plastic and is the weak link in the equation. Better to have the type that wraps around the butt, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by fiannoglach View Post
                Don't like that way personally, the rear swivel is only held in by plastic and is the weak link in the equation. Better to have the type that wraps around the butt, IMHO.
                Neither do I but it was as the yanks say"field expedient".My biggest gripes with the weapon are the Sling and the cleaning kit.Both of which i hope they change with the upgrade.We were asked about both on the questionnaire that was circulated a year ago.
                Aussies seem to have a good sling like the one you mentioned.I tried an SA80 sling a few years back but got rid soon after as i found the webbing was too narrow and it would cut into your shoulder over time.Ouch.Protac sling was OK but the big silver clips got in the way of the sights and were not very tactical.Got rid of that too.
                Some issue slings tend to be longer than others.I had one of those extra long slings in Liberia.When loosened out to the max the rifle sat right down by my backside when side slung.My current one is way too tight when worn with CBA and Vest when i put my arm through the sling.OK when neck slung but thats too uncomfortable for long periods of time.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I quite like the SA80 sling for work.

Especially since CBA is worn on all Ex's now, the webbing cutting into your shoulder isn't much of an issue anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X