Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flagship

Two questions folks:

A) How is the Flagship chosen in the Irish Naval Service?

B) What vessels have been the Flagships prior to the LE Eithne?

I’m a newbie, so go easy on me if these are stupid questions!

My understanding (and it is open to correction) is the flagship is the one commanded by the most senior officer. As Eithne is commanded by a Commander, not a Lieutenant Commander, it defaults to Flagship.
    It is also the ship that has extra accomodation, and conference facilities, that would allow all other ships captains to meet aboard.
    It only ACTUALLY becomes flagship when the Flag officer is aboard. During that time his flag is flown uppermost.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Prior to Eithne all ships where under the command of a Lt Commander and it was usualy the most resently built ship that was the designated Flagship , so prior to Eithne Aisling was flag ship and Aoife before that and so fort .
      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Thanks guys, very informative!

Comment

Correct and right in both cases. Eithne suits the role, while not being the newest build.

It only ACTUALLY becomes flagship when the Flag officer is aboard. During that time his flag is flown uppermost.
          Correct again therefore practically any vessel of the fleet can be Flag Ship should he choose to fly his flag there.

Gold Star on Green Back round used to be flown from the VS tower in the base when FOCNS was based in Dublin.Used also to be a plate that could be used on the CO's 'saloon car' Used to be the old 3 litre Ford Granada JZC 399 ( open to correction on the numerical part).
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

What is the highest technical rank in legislation a Naval Officer here could become. As in, is it technically possible to have a Vice Admiral as the CoS?

Comment

Nothing stopping it. Just because it hasn't happened yet, does not mean it can't happen in future. After all, the Air Corpse invented a new rank so the former GOC AC could become DCOS.

Comment

The Air Corps didn't invent a new rank as the commissioned ranks in the Air Corp and Army are the same. The highest technical rank in the Naval Servie is "Rear Admiral", but to change it they would only have to ammend this
                The electronic Irish Statute Book (eISB) comprises the Acts of the Oireachtas (Parliament), Statutory Instruments, Legislation Directory, Constitution and a limited number of pre-1922 Acts.

Comment

They invented a new rank marking.

Comment

Sure they have been doing that for years...thunderbirds are go.

Comment

Reading tha statue I see that Midshipman is listed , does that mean a Midshipman is a Commissioned rank . I always thought Cadets where concidered as Midshipmen .
                      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

It certainly looks that way. Can anyone Navy heads tell us if:
                        a) Is the Midshipman rank in use in the NS?
                        b) If it is then is it in the chain of command i.e. would ratings be expected to obay orders from midshipmen?

Comment

Midshipman is a UK rank.

Cadets sent to the UK for trianing many years ago would have been termed as being midshipmen, as the rank of cadet doesn't equate to a naval rank other than the Sea Cadet Corps.

Its all a bit of grey area in fact as our Ensigns don't equate with Sub Lieutenants from the RN and the RN have no commisioned rank below that rank.

Back to the A/ Cos D/ COS type appointment, a former Naval Commodore did hold A/COS staff while holding his rank of Commodore while the FOCNS also held the rank.

Naval Service is in effect top heavy with commanders by virtue of the fact that training establishments are 'commanded' by Lt. Cols in the army and this carries over into the NS. Also the appointment a Cdr as OC L.E. Eithne threw it out of kilter also.

If you equate it to a men under command, each PV could be commnaded by a Lt. as a LtCdr would suffice for P31.

Final answer Ratings would not be expected to obey orders from a midshipman nor would he be expected to issue orders.

In my experience at sea even Ensigns were treated with a degree of disdain if issuing orders to L/ Hands or Bosuns and they usually took advice on such matters.

Would have witnessed more than one Ensign being offered a quick dip while trying to order a Bosun of Leading Hands about.

Used to have a nice term for them, 'Officers under training'... they warranted a salute but were general ignored.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Well of course an Ensign issuing orders to a Bosun would be like a 2nd Lt issuing orders to a CS. Technically possible but ill advised. I wanted to establish if Midshipman was a rank in use and if it was would it be considered a commissioned rank. Your explanation regarding cadets being trained in the UK being called midshipman would explain why it was put into law. Thanks for the answer HPT.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                              Well of course an Ensign issuing orders to a Bosun would be like a 2nd Lt issuing orders to a CS. Technically possible but ill advised. I wanted to establish if Midshipman was a rank in use and if it was would it be considered a commissioned rank. Your explanation regarding cadets being trained in the UK being called midshipman would explain why it was put into law. Thanks for the answer HPT.

Not to be sticky Bravo but a Bosuns rank in the NS is Petty Officer which equivilant rank is Sgt.

But your point is still well made

A Coxn (CPO) wouldnt give an Ensign the time of day!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X