Recruit Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruit Training

Where exactly does the RDF do their initial recruit training. There have been recent changes to the recruits program in the TA, instead of each unit training their own recruits they are now sent to Litchfield in Birmingham for a period of two weeks where they go through the whole process of induction etc. This is common to all recruits of any cap badge they are all taught the common military syllabus, once they complete this they are then sent to their trade training at another location usually their RHQ wherever that may be. Are there any similarities between us and you.

Which has been an unmitigateddisaster for the last couple of years in most units ive spent time with, collectivity is the way to go.
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Currently, each company does it's own recruiting, processing, snd training.

Disadvantages - Inter-unit fighting over limited numbers of recruits and resources. Recruit classes within units tend to be small (Or non-existant). Standards vary. Training opportunities and exercises are intermittant.

Advantages.....???

Comment

... but if you centralise recruit training ... what do the NCOs do at unit level then since so much NCO time in reality goes into recruit and 2* training ... maybe it would be better to train recruits at the regimental/battalion rather than at brigade level.

Comment

This would release NCOs to do what they are actually supposed to do - train to do their jobs - higher levels of training and skills are badly required throughout all units and corps at NCO level

Comment

NCOs will take responsibility for trained soldiers and command them on training, duties and ops...silly
            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I remember the first platoons of female recruits were all trained together, albeit that they had a lot to prove, the standard of pte sent to units after this training was high and the quality of the NCO training them was very good also, cant say that for every recruit today.

If the way the RDF trains with troops is better than training them centrally then dont you think the PDF might do the same?
              You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Recruit Training

Training of recruits needs to be taken away from Coys and centralized at a Bn and Bde level. Night parades, field days etc should be carried out at a Bn level and Camps should be done at Bde level. I know this would cause a logistical nightmare but its better than the current situation of widely varying standards across different units, and often within units.

While we’re on the subject, the whole recruit/ 2* syllabus needs urgent revision. The annual camps need to be increased to a fortnight, and the field days etc need to be tied in to the syllabus.

Is this the situation in any units round the country already, or have any units brought in improvements?

Comment

US: Reservists train in the same Basic Training along with Regular Army troops.

NTM
                  Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Groan this old one again.

Although this looks valuable on the surface, in practice in our FCA it doesn't work for a variety of reasons.

1: If depot trained they have no/little affinity to particular units . Although you all know this has exceptions.

2: the recruiter has no motivation to recruit since he won't be training them. Let's face it how many of you go out and recruit when you don't have a recruit platoon to form.

3: It has been tried several times. It doesn't work. This is not due to lack of commitment.

Note, however from a military standpoint its invaluable if you get good instructors at the depot level. No quibble there.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Those arguments might apply if you're running a social organisation, but the new reserve will not afford the cosy relationships that are currently tolerated and centralised training will ensure that a proper level of seperation is maintained until the recruit has a solid understanding of rank and authority relationships.

Comment

My two cents

I did my recruit training/camp with a Bn in a centralised sort of way. I found it quite beneficial. There were everything from engineers to MP's on it. We worked together in order to get through it. It did not affect our loyalty to our home units. It exposed corps members to infantry style training. I'd recommend it to anyone.
                        I don't believe in love - just friendship + sex

Comment

I think it is the way forward. When you see all "career courses" such as Pot NCO,Standard NCO,Pot Officers are done at brigade level and above,the return is a higher level of training. I remember my Pots Course in particular,individuals from some units were determined to do things the way their unit done them,only to be informed that there was "only one army". It is important to rid the RDF of these different methods from the beginning and have everyone reading from the same book.
                          Standards of recruits around the country can vary greatly,and it is only late in the reserve soldiers career that this standard,whether higher or lower comes to light.
                          If training recruits in one location proves impractical,would it be possible to train instructors in one location,prior to commencing training recruits? Again so everyone reads from the same book..To have a pool of dedicated recruit instructors,instead of the current situation in many units,where it is handled by Junior NCOs most recently off a POT NCO course..Supervised by a Junior Officer,and a Sergeant eager for promotion..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

If depot trained they have no/little affinity to particular units .
                            I disagree. In my Unit we find that when on annual Trg, the level of loyalty to a sub-Unit is very strong. Generally recruits retain a strong sense of belonging to their local Unit. Even if they didn't, after a few night parades and other training events it will develop.

the recruiter has no motivation to recruit since he won't be training them. Let's face it how many of you go out and recruit when you don't have a recruit platoon to form.
                            Again, I don't think this would be the case. Most FCA personnel recruit for the organization, not just for themselves. We find most of our recruits come through word-of-mouth from the previous recruit class; indeed, we fill all our vacancies at recruit level without ever running a campaign in schools.

It has been tried several times. It doesn't work.
                            I asked about this earlier. I'd be interested to hear about the circumstances and how it ended up.

Another thing I’d like to see reintroduced to recruit training is segregated messes. I know most well run units already enforce this, but many other don’t. I’ve seen too many instances of NCOs trying unsuccessfully to train people they had been drunk with the night before. Personally I feel all training should be totally dry, but that’s never going to happen, and at least this would be a step in the right direction.

Comment

I have to agree with you on the last point there WC. I have noticed in my own unit the habit has been seen where NCOs invite their 3 star buddies to the NCOs mess,and the same happens in the privates mess. The shortage of rank markings allows this practice to continue,unchecked.
                              I also notice that Segrogated messes have all but dissappeared from Annual training camps. This removes a creates a certain amount of practical difficulties as it may be difficult for a recruit to have much respect,in my opinion,for an NCO or Officer he has seen get pissed the previous night,or even got pissed with. The seperation of rank must continue during full time training at least.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X