Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Served on every ship?

Spotted this on P.ie

Is it possible to do what the poster has said? Served on 10 different ships since 1987?
    Given the norm is 2 years in, 2 out, not allowing for promotion courses etc.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Maybe he's counting day trips for gunnery course's as serving on board .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Quite possible depending on division.Setanta and Banba were gone in 84 he could have done duties on them in the basin

In the good old days there was no such thing as even rotations and some guys who did four years could have served most of it on one ship. Back in the eighties things were crazy.I know of one guy in particular who spent three years on Emer, a particular Mech who served 90% of his service on Eithne.
      I know a CPO currently serving who has served on all the ships from Deirdre to Niamh...its possible.

Wouldn't be a great accolade though as if you were being bounced around the place it either meant that you were doing a lot of attachment only sea going, or someone on every ship took a dislike to you and offloaded you at every oppertunity.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

My thoughts exactly . How many L.A. 10s would that use up .
        Last edited by Laners; 25 May 2012, 20:30.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          Quite possible depending on division.Setanta and Banba were gone in 84 he could have done duties on them in the basin

In the good old days there was no such thing as even rotations and some guys who did four years could have served most of it on one ship. Back in the eighties things were crazy.I know of one guy in particular who spent three years on Emer, a particular Mech who served 90% of his service on Eithne.
          I know a CPO currently serving who has served on all the ships from Deirdre to Niamh...its possible.

Wouldn't be a great accolade though as if you were being bounced around the place it either meant that you were doing a lot of attachment only sea going, or someone on every ship took a dislike to you and offloaded you at every oppertunity.
          Any chance that CPO recently retired? Seems the regulars on p.ie are asking him the boatyard at hereford question and he isn't playing ball.

Comment

Boathouse . And I can name the watchman for Setanta/ Banba
            Last edited by Laners; 25 May 2012, 21:35.

Comment

Seems he's been verified. Answered all the questions correctly by PM.

Just cranky and bitter about his time in the Grey Funnel line.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

Cranky and bitter is an understatement. He has a major problem with the service and officers in particular. I wonder why he stayed so long if he hated it so much. He claims that cadets were flown to the UK to be fitted for uniforms. I cannot believe that current naval command would be daft enough to sanction that in theses straitened times or even in good times. Can anyone with links to the service refute this allegation.

Comment

No, the guy i mentioned is still serving and never served on a sweeper, was of my recruit class.

Thinking of some of those retired it would be some one who joined prior to 84,but looking at how its written, its not who I thought it could be.

Cranky and bitter is an understatement. He has a major problem with the service and officers in particular. I wonder why he stayed so long if he hated it so much. He claims that cadets were flown to the UK to be fitted for uniforms. I cannot believe that current naval command would be daft enough to sanction that in theses straitened times or even in good times. Can anyone with links to the service refute this allegation.
                  Because he was paid good money every week and hadn't done anything else for at least 28 years.I don't know about the claim regarding the uniforms, but it wouldn't surprise me.I reckon he is the real deal, again there was a time when the officers were the common or garden type of intake you get today where its almost an open draw.There was a time where they were of different ilk and someone pissed in his cornflakes,. must have held up his promotion at some point and thus wrecked his pension. Given the amount of ships he served on and the lack of openings above the rank of Able rate, I would be surprised if the individual in question is a former L/Rate or possibly a late promotion PO.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

99% of naval service men including myself served on most ships and have good meomeries and can tell good stories,, but we moved on and have no reason to be bitter as it gave us a good living and stood to us in civvy street...that story is doing the rounds about the cadets allright savilles of london got the contract..

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                      99% of naval service men including myself served on most ships and have good meomeries and can tell good stories,, but we moved on and have no reason to be bitter as it gave us a good living and stood to us in civvy street...that story is doing the rounds about the cadets allright savilles of london got the contract..
                      It's all very well that the story about uniforms is doing the rounds, lack of veracity never stopped a good ballhop. If true it could do a lot of damage to the hard won reputation of the NS. If not true it needs to be countered. Can anyone help to do so?

Comment

it may have been necessary to have their uniforms made over there as not a lot of tailors will make military uniforms and probably worked out cheaper..all officers hats were made in england and in the late 70s our ratings hats were made there as well..

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                          it may have been necessary to have their uniforms made over there as not a lot of tailors will make military uniforms and probably worked out cheaper..all officers hats were made in england and in the late 70s our ratings hats were made there as well..
                          Fair enough but would itbe VFM to fly the tailor here to measure all concerned with samples of their preferred fabrics and textures etc.

Comment

You can fly 8 adults to UK, and come back the next day for about a grand, if you plan it well.
                            They can take in Greenwich while there. Maybe even stay at a UK military facility, or self cater. They are cadets, not real people.
                            Flying a Tailor, plus materials, putting him/her up at Hayfield Manor (6*) so he can measure a few pigeon chests is not good VFM.

Comment

You can fly 8 adults to UK, and come back the next day for about a grand, if you plan it well.
                              They can take in Greenwich while there. Maybe even stay at a UK military facility, or self cater. They are cadets, not real people.
                              Flying a Tailor, plus materials, putting him/her up at Hayfield Manor (6*) so he can measure a few pigeon chests is not good VFM.
                              Having worked in the trade at Kingstons in Dublin for 3 years before joining the Navy I can safely say that at least two maybe three visits with the tailor would br required . The first just require a measureing tape and a note book . We use to handle a lot of Military orders and had the contacts for sourcing out a lot of stuff such as the braided work etc . alas Kingstons no longer around and I am sure the guys in London will do a exelent job as is befitting our Naval Service .

Comment

Working...
                              X