PDA

View Full Version : L.E. Deirdre

Big Al
5th December 2003, 16:53
What ever happened to her after they decomissioned her?

yooklid
5th December 2003, 18:00
Wasn't she turned into a Yacht?

hptmurphy
5th December 2003, 23:25
has any body any photos of the yacht..Ibelieve it was in spain. How much of the original layout remains....?

Adrian
23rd December 2003, 12:30
They should have preserved it as a museum piece, it was the first purpose built ship built in in Ireland for the Navy.

Goldie fish
5th January 2004, 02:45
According to Jim Brady in his book "The Irish Navy, What a Life"(ISBN 0952844737) She was sold for £180,000 plus auctioneers feesand left Cork Harbour in October 2001,stripped of all but essential superstructure and Living quarters. She was then sent to a German Shipyard for Conversion and now operates in the Mediteranian as a Luxury Yacht for charter,renamed Tosca IV.
Here is her as she was being stripped and repainted in Cork Dockyard.

Goldie fish
5th January 2004, 02:48
A View of the stern area..

The Original Of the Species..

conco
5th January 2004, 17:23
From Irish Sea Shipping

LE DEIRDRE [P20] was sold at public auction this week for IR£190,000. She was purchased by the English yacht chartering company Seastream International for conversion into a luxury charter yacht. Speaking on the Radio a Seastram spokesman appeared pleased with their bargain as they had been prepared to bid up to IR£500,000! The auction starting price had been IR£60,000.

Goldie fish
5th January 2004, 21:20
Seastream usually only deal with smaller yachts. Its possible that this was a new venture for them,of unknown success. A Photo of her used to appear on their website,but all details of this is now gone,apart from whats below..

can anyone enlarge .gifs?

conco
5th January 2004, 22:12
I've been in contact with a former captain of the Tosca IV, he's promised to send me information on the vessel.

yooklid
5th January 2004, 22:21
What type of shape was she in? To my untrained eye, it seems that she looks ok...

-Y

Goldie fish
6th January 2004, 01:28
She was in pretty good nick for a 30 year old vessel. However it was said to me that towards the end of her service,she was unable to leave Cork Harbour without blowing a gasket or a seal somewhere in the engine room.

ias
6th January 2004, 01:34
Does anyone what port(s) she sails in/out from?

Currently I live very close to the Med. and would be interested in keeping an eye out for her?

IAS

Farel'
1st February 2004, 12:23
Any further news on this? It would be nice to see what they made of her. Apparantly her hull is ideal for cruising calm waters at slow speeds.....

i.e. Not the atlantic in winter

conco
7th February 2004, 13:41
Believe it or not, this is her.

http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/toscaIV.jpg

Goldie fish
7th February 2004, 13:57
I dont think so....If the size was right....the hull shape could not support such a mast...they had to chop her mast as it was....Top Heavy.

Apparently Jim Brady Got it wrong again.

posiedon
8th February 2004, 11:25
that is not deirdre...she was 223ft in length...what did they do,cut her in half.....

Slacker
8th February 2004, 20:29
??????????????????????????????????????????

conco
8th February 2004, 23:34
Well that's the photo I got, either the 120ft refers to the mast or Jim Brady got it wrong again.

conco
8th February 2004, 23:44
My apologies gentlemen, thats the Tosca III. Hope Jim Brady wasn't reading this...

EDIT: Found information which says the refit cost £5million and converted Deirdre into a 7-storey cruising yacht.

tashkugan
9th February 2004, 09:31
Well .. These guys are casting the anchors for the Tosca IV (http://www.manson-marine.co.nz/Newsletter3/PR_News3.htm)

Goldie fish
10th February 2004, 18:23
Originally posted by posiedon
that is not deirdre...she was 223ft in length...what did they do,cut her in half.....

Get out the measuring tape there again.... :D

Seven storey? What a non nautical term! I'ts a while since i had a look at her drawings,but she had 4 decks,5 if you include the top of the bridge,6 if you include the tank tops.
So the refit is/was being carried out in Poland...What was wrong with the old anchors?
I Imagine that a redesign of the entire superstructure would be expected,as the former position of the 40mm would be surplus to requirement. Also much of the deckspace aft which would have been used for the Old Liberty boats and Boarding boats, could now be covered in and used for other purposes, as most of these ships use one RIB combined with a sufficient number of Inflatable lifeboats.
I Imagine the Bridge would remain unchanged,with the addition of accomodation spaces where radio rooms and 50 cals formerly resided.
The Use of Aluminium and modern GRP methods in construction could mean that when complete she could look something like this....

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/archibald/portfolio/naval_design/52m_yacht/images/1_perspective.jpg

conco
10th February 2004, 19:00
She would have done well in the Navy with that helicopter. :p

Seven storey? What a non nautical term
Blame the Sunday Times, that's where I got it from. They also said some billionaire was living on it, as a way to avoid taxes.

Goldie fish
28th February 2004, 03:55
Any further news on this refit?

yooklid
28th February 2004, 06:00
Funny, I just revisited this thread myself today and thought the same thing...

Smithy
17th April 2004, 18:45
I am just back from the Canary Islands - Lanzarote. While visiting a marina there I saw her!! I couldn't get close enough to speak to any of the crew and I only had a digital cine camera with me. I got some good shots with that but don't have the equipment to transfer to computer and can't give you a still. If she wasn't Deirdre I'm a Dutchman (call me Hans). I would know that bow anywhere. She now has accommodation where the Bofors platform was. The hull has much bigger portholes and I think there is much more accommodation at upper deck level. The wheelhouse looks much the same. The name is on a board under the bridge but is unclear in the film. I think it includes the name Arthur? She looks great. Does anyone have any other information about the conversion.
________
HONDA GB500 SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_GB500)

Goldie fish
18th April 2004, 13:25
So far you are the first to see her since she left Cork Harbour. Normally you would be entitled to a medal for service to IMO,but your failure to provide photographic proof.....

Well done though. Keep up the good work :)

hptmurphy
18th April 2004, 16:20
Okay we need to organise a recce mission to lanzarote......FMolloy any sunscreen in the store....rig of the day will be shorts and sandals.......whose organising the beer ! This is definetly a job for the board recce section......All volunteers fall in behind me!:D :D :D

Goldie fish
18th April 2004, 16:31
Will the board pay travel expenses?

yellowjacket
18th April 2004, 16:35
Just submit the receipts on your return for consideration to Boomer.....

posiedon
19th April 2004, 19:38
smithy...where in lanzarote is the marina..i've got someone out there at the moment...where abouts are u located..i can take a print off digital tape if ur in the peoples republic or close by

Smithy
20th April 2004, 20:31
The marina is in Puerto Calero - 3 or 4 miles west of Puerto del Carmen. I'm in the Peoples Republic of Kildare but might be able to get a print off the tape myself (with a bit of help). By the way I'm pretty sure now the nameplate says "Sir Arthur 1".
________
FORD PRODIGY PICTURE (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Prodigy)

posiedon
21st April 2004, 00:34
doesnt tie in with the name from the people suppling the anchors though

i'lll pass the infor to the people out there and maybe they might get a chance to check it out

conco
11th May 2004, 19:50
http://www.naval.ca/noac/Tosca_IV_Ad.pdf

"Want the job of a lifetime?"

An advert placed by the owner seeking a crew for the Tosca IV. On that PDF is an artists impression of what it will look like. Of course that was ages ago. I've attached the picture for those who can't be arsed with the download (only 60KB).

You see something like this Smithy?

Goldie fish
11th May 2004, 20:51
The Hull,Bridge and funnel look about right..

Smity
11th May 2004, 22:40
Yes, very like that. In particular the rectangular (windows?) in the hull were very noticeable. I thought they were unusual. No satellite domes though and the stern was not built up. I mentioned the accomodation where the Bofors used to be mounted. The funnel was the same as was the bridge. Though I was army, I spent a few days on Deirdre at one time and I think it was the same ship. Sorry no luck with getting pictures off the video yet.

Goldie fish
25th August 2004, 08:33
An interesting, tragic, turn this story has taken.

British online dating tycoon dies in US helicopter crash
By Caroline Davies
(Filed: 11/08/2004)

A British multi-millionaire who made his fortune through internet dating agencies, was killed when his helicopter apparently hit power lines and crashed into a house in the United States.

Christopher Matthews, 54, the founder of the Club Sirius, which he set up from his home near Macclesfield, Cheshire, died when the aircraft he was piloting crashed in Wisconsin. His personal assistant, who has not been named, died with him.

Investigators believe that the helicopter hit electricity lines over Lake Wisconsin before crashing at Sauk Prairie.

For the past six years Mr Matthews had lived as a tax-exile aboard his yacht Tosca III, spending six months in the Caribbean and six months in the Mediterranean.

The father of three children, aged 23, 17 and seven, who was separated from his wife Marie-France, he was the owner of the yachting company, Seastream International in Falmouth and also chairman of the helicopter company, Cav-Air, based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida in addition to running a hedge fund portfolio and owning several properties.

His company OneSaturday, which included Club Sirius, Dateline and Elite dating agencies, made him millions when he sold it recently.

Last year he was placed 232nd in The Sunday Times rich list.

Jet-set aide dies with dating tycoon
By Nigel Bunyan
(Filed: 12/08/2004)

The helicopter crash that killed a British online dating millionaire also killed the £100,000 jet-setting aide he recruited with an outlandish advert less than a year ago, it emerged yesterday.

Christopher Matthews, 54, the founder of Club Sirius, a dating agency for single professionals, died at the controls of the helicopter when it came down over Wisconsin.

Beside him in the wreckage was Jim Beauregard, 28, a former US marines captain who secured his dream job last summer.

Mr Beauregard was selected from 1,000 applicants around the world after the Cheshire-born tycoon advertised for "a highly intelligent workaholic with a skin like a rhinoceros".

The advert went on: "You will work 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You will be expected to spend several weeks a year skiing and it would help if you could dive, sail, fly fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircraft and speak several European languages.

"You will also carry bags, book flights, act as a chauffeur and do any grot work which needs doing.

"The hours will be unreasonable. When I go skiing, I don't want to be incommunicado, so I expect my assistant to go too. It's a great life."

The advertisement concluded with the warning: "If you are married, get divorced now because you will never see your partner again."

Mr Beauregard, of New Smyrna Beach, Florida, who spent his childhood in England before emigrating to America as a teenager, was lured by the prospect of flitting between the Mediterranean, the Caribbean and America.

He said at the time of his appointment: "Mr Matthews appears to be a workaholic like myself, and I think we are going to get on fine."

Mr Matthews lived as a flamboyant tax exile and devoted more and more time to an array of high-tech toys that included luxury yachts, sports cars and a Learjet.

He described himself as "a disorganised, inconsiderate, insensitive, demanding swine" and lived by the motto: "Aim for the stars and you might hit the ceiling; aim for the ceiling and you won't get off the ground."

Mr Matthews was the eldest of three sons of a Surrey statistician and gained a degree in engineering before joining first Marconi then the Courtaulds conglomerate.

His rise to fame and fortune began when he recognised the demand for a superior dating agency.

The idea for Club Sirius came to him in 1992 when he was living in a caravan. Within two months of placing a £16,000 advertisement, the venture was in profit and within two years it was making more than £1 million.

Club Sirius helped Margaret Cook, the abandoned wife of Robin Cook, the former foreign secretary, forge a new relationship. It later became part of the OneSaturday empire, with the Dateline and Elite dating agencies.

OneSaturday made Mr Matthews millions when he sold it recently. But he made the bulk of his fortune through Telinco, a service company to internet providers, which he sold just before the dotcom crash in 2000.

For the past four years Mr Matthews had lived on his 115ft £5 million yacht Tosca III. He spent six months in the Mediterranean and six months in the Caribbean.

He was once an undistinguished pupil at St John's School, Leatherhead, Surrey, and last year he found two friends from the primary school on the Friends Reunited website and invited them to the Mediterranean for a get-together.

Mr Matthews's keen eye for a good idea helped him make yet more money from his hobbies. He bought both Cav Air, the flight school in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, which taught him to fly, and Seastream, the Cornish boatyard which rebuilt his first yacht.

His dissatisfaction with London investment banks persuaded him to create hedge funds for super-rich clients.

"I don't want silly risks and volatility," he told an interviewer. "All I want is a nice 15 per cent annual return on my money."

Mr Matthews had lately been working on Gorgeous Get Togethers, a new departure in the introductions market aimed at successful people in the 25- to 35-year-old range.

This included a bespoke introduction service that, for £25,000, would secure clients a flight on his private jet and perhaps a meal, prepared by his Michelin-starred chef, on board Tosca III.

Last year Mr Matthews was placed 232nd in The Sunday Times rich list, although he thought the newspaper had underestimated his fortune at £140 million.

By his own admission, his private life had become "complicated".

He was separated from his wife, Marie-France, the mother of his two elder sons, Alexander, 23, a biochemistry graduate, and Charles, 17. He had a third son, James, seven, by Virginia Halliwell, a stockbroker.

Mr Matthews's Eurocopter EC 130 crashed on to a house in Sauk Prairie, Wisconsin, on Friday, setting it on fire and injuring one of the four occupants, a 13-year-old boy.

His British lawyer, Claire Hindle, said that everyone who knew him had been shocked by the news.

"Chris was a wonderful, wonderful man who adored flying and sailing," she said. "He had a great sense of humour and was a lovely man who will be sadly missed. His family is devastated."

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/08/12/wdate12.xml

yooklid
25th August 2004, 09:02
I thought the Deirdre was the Tosca IV

Goldie fish
25th August 2004, 09:20
She may be. However the man who was killed in the Heli crash is the owner of both the Tosca III and the Tosca IV(wherever it is), Ant the former Dierdre was bought by his company Seastream.

Goldie fish
18th December 2004, 22:16
http://tridem.han-solo.net/hartmann/de/index.php3?status=111&artnr=1303

POLEN
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Pomerania\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Im Auftrag eines ungenannten Engländers soll die \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Pomerania\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Shiprepair Yard in Szczecin eine ehemals irische und zuletzt im Fischereischutz eingesetzte Korvette in eine Luxusyacht umbauen. Um welches Schiff es sich dabei im einzelnen handelt, blieb uns bislang \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"fern\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\". Wir wissen nur, dass das Projekt unter dem Namen \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Tosca IV\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" läuft. Auf dem wahrscheinlich aus den siebziger Jahren stammenden, vom Augenschein ca. 1.100 Tonnen verdrängendem Schiff, sollen u.a. zusätzliche Decksaufbauten (aus Aluminium) montiert und auch ein Helikopterlandeplatz geschaffen werden (con)

Babelfish translates it to the following...

POLAND \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Pomerania\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" On behalf of an anonymous Englishman is \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Pomerania\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Shiprepair yard in Szczecin a formerly Irish and last corvette into a luxury yacht changes, used in the fishery protection. Which ship it concerns thereby in detail, remained for us so far \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"fern\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\". We know only that the project under the name \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Tosca IV\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" runs. Coming, from the inspection, the probably on from the seventies, approx.. 1,100 tons displacing ship, are among other things additional deck superstructures (from aluminum) to be installed and also a helicopter landing strip to be created (con)

It seems to infer that the name "Tosca IV" was a working title.

Also http://www.yachtspotter.com/focard2.php?foo=F004

Information on her present location and occupation are at best..sketchy.

Gerry25
9th February 2005, 03:22
apparently taken in the Kiel Canal, Oct 2001. She actually looks worse than when she was in service.

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=19503

Gerry25
9th February 2005, 03:27
oops...try again

http://www.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/19503.jpg

Goldie fish
9th February 2005, 05:55
That was what she looked like leaving Verolme after her decomissioning. Very white looking.(are the photos i took of her still working on the first page?)

Stinger
9th February 2005, 13:02
Was she painted white before she was sold?

Goldie fish
9th February 2005, 16:32
Yes. The photo above was taken while she was transiting the Kiel Canal,on her way to a Polish Dockyard for conversion.

sparky
4th March 2005, 15:13
Things i remember about deirdre are that no matter what she was doing she was always leaking the stabilsers hardly worked and the engines had a habit of shutting down when you least wanted them to, the heating never worked (well it did in summer)but when i was out there it was a great crew and the crack on board was unreal it was a shame they let her go they should of sold off Emer

GoneToTheCanner
21st March 2005, 11:18
Hi all
I knew a marine electrician who worked on the construction of the "Deirdre". Wasn't she built under an order for two ships, that ran way over budget? He said that they were right heeldraggers and wasters in the Yard and that it wasn't a wonder that it cost so much to build. 24 million quid or so, at the time.
regards
GttC

Goldie fish
21st March 2005, 12:02
Your buddy must have worked on the construction of Eithne,Not Deirdre. She was built in 1971/72. Eithne was built in 1984,and the details as he says are quite correct. She was supposed to be the first of a 2/3 ship class,which went severely over budget, due to heeldragging on the part of the Verolme workforce,and the Governments reluctance to do anything about it. Were the same to happen today the yard would be forced to outsource the work to ensure delivery on schedule,or face financial penalties.

This thread however is about a different ship,The first one designed and built in ireland for the Irish Naval service, whose current status and location is unknown.

hptmurphy
21st March 2005, 15:40
Location unknown....how true...funny thing is during her service days and the same is true of all the naval vessels...all you had to do was go into the bars in Cobh and everybody knew where specific ships were at certain times...So much for operational security. The biggest joke was Operation Mallard in 1987 when the Minister for Defence got on the radio and told everyone in the country what was going on ...and who was going to search what area...no wonder we found nothing!

posiedon
31st March 2005, 10:39
she lies in the shipyard where she was being re-modeled until her owners estate is sorted out. it was a project of his so neptune only knows what will happen to her now.

http://www.ums.gov.pl/statki/zacum.html

this is the shipyard on-line order book...ignore the date at the end..she is still there

hptmurphy
31st March 2005, 14:42
I trust then thatt she is in the same condition as the photo that was taken of her crossing the kiel canal. She must be a fine bucket of rust by now.

yellowjacket
21st April 2005, 20:05
This story got a mention on Sea-Scapes on RTE Radio One this evening, somone called deleted sent in a message to the programme about it, even plugged this board...

Mod Note:Duh!

ELVIS
21st April 2005, 20:17
This story got a mention on Sea-Scapes on RTE Radio One this evening, somone called deletedsent in a message to the programme about it, even plugged this board...
I wonder who that might be?? (actually i dont)
You shouldnt mention names.

Mod note:Shouldnt quote them either!

yellowjacket
21st April 2005, 20:54
It's not much point deleting a person's name when anyone listening to RTE Radio one heard it. Plus no connection was made between the name and any IMO user....

Goldie fish
21st April 2005, 21:17
Lets leave it that way..OK!

posiedon
5th May 2005, 09:37
she is still in poland, currently being looked at by agroup of brazilian businessmen. their probable intention is to have the work finished off in poland. update as they happen

hptmurphy
5th May 2005, 21:12
Good man yerself!

Dogwatch
20th June 2006, 00:05
Photos of ex-L.E. DEIRDRE taken last September, supposedly on it's way to Brazil to continue it's conversion.

Goldie fish
20th June 2006, 03:19
Good work dogwatch.

hptmurphy
20th June 2006, 12:47
great stuff. Finally a reality of whats happen to her!

Dogwatch
20th June 2006, 13:34
An old photo of Deirdre rolling heavily during a turn in only moderate seas. Photo is from the mid-90's as she still had the boarding & liberty boat embarked & only one Sat Dome.

hptmurphy
20th June 2006, 15:56
ah! she used to roll on wet grass! and then there was the vibration..the bath tub fitted to the front..the low bridge..the list when the life boat was removed...jesus how did anybody consider her for a yacht.

hptmurphy
20th June 2006, 15:58
Just looking at the photos of the rebuild..certainly hope she is not going to be used in any heavy seas..the scuppers around the enclosed bow have been blocked up! wheres the wter that fills the bath tub going to drain to...

Dogwatch
20th June 2006, 21:31
Photo taken from a CASA MPA of L.E. DEIRDRE off the west coast in 1999.

Dogwatch
20th June 2006, 21:50
The following magazine / brochure was produced when the ship was decommissioned in 2000, giving an overview of her career

Dogwatch
20th June 2006, 21:54
Second part of the brochure

Dogwatch
20th June 2006, 21:55
Final Page!

Goldie fish
20th June 2006, 23:07
Unless I'm mistaken, the either the bosun or coxn spent all their service in the NS aboard her.

Dogwatch
20th June 2006, 23:33
The PO/Tel (as they were called then). George (JJ i think) O'Driscoll is his name from West Cork. He served on her from 1986 until she was decommissioned, but also had 2-4 years service on her from 1980 - 1984. He is in the top left photo (right hand man) on Page 11 of the brochure. He retired when she was decommissioned.

moggy
21st June 2006, 10:56
The PO/Tel (as they were called then). JJ O'Driscoll is his name from West Cork. He served on her from 1986 until she was decommissioned, but also had 2-4 years service on her from 1980 - 1984. He is in the top left photo (right hand man) on Page 11 of the brochure. He retired when she was decommissioned.

Big george he was offered the trip to bring to the new seller?? don't know if he took up the
task??

hptmurphy
21st June 2006, 13:58
I recognise those tattoed arms!..The Skibereen Marine!

Another guy from the b/w is former Leading Seaman 'Budgie' ( Tony) Evans

Goldie fish
1st December 2006, 19:20
I read today in the Marine times that this vessel is in Brazil currently having the remainder of its conversion completed(they had one of the photos shown here). The new owner is keen to return her to her original name, Deirdre(currently carries the name Tosca IV), and hopes to return to Cork for a visit with it once its conversion is complete.

hptmurphy
1st December 2006, 22:05
Very certain irony on the Deirdre.....L/S Mick Quinn died in a trgic accident..he was the replacement for a guy who had gone on leave for the birth of his first child.....This guy was subsequently kiled in a car accident two years ago...his name was John Carney..also L/Sea at the time....was serving as a sergeant with the 12th Bn when he died..such irony...

armedboarder
2nd December 2006, 16:30
http://www.gemini.gda.pl/My_Homepage_Files/Page5.html

Gemini Have worked on her but not much info available.

Would you like to se the new plans for the old girl.

Joshua
2nd December 2006, 16:56
[/URL]

Would you like to see the new plans for the old girl.

Bottom of page.

[url]http://smoczelodzie.szczecin.pl/tosca/tosca4.html#tosca4a (http://www.gemini.gda.pl/My_Homepage_Files/Page5.html)

armedboarder
2nd December 2006, 19:07
yep thats where i went too

Goldie fish
2nd December 2006, 22:56
Nice work folks.

Dogwatch
7th October 2007, 17:10
http://www.yachtspotter.com/focard3.php?foo=FG018

http://www.yachtspotter.com/ysp2_ycard.php?foo=20090905

The yachtspotter forum talk about the Naval Yard in Rio as a possible location for L.É. DEIRDRE. Went to Google Earth for a look.......located a hull very similar to the 'Original of the Species' at the following location.

22°51'54.74"S
43° 7'40.16"W

Have a look!

http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3317&g2_serialNumber=1

If you measure the ship, she's about 63 metres, which is there or thereabouts for Deirdre, she was just under 62 metres.

Goldie fish
7th October 2007, 18:49
html not enabled there kermie

hptmurphy
7th October 2007, 20:25
yup thats the right plan form alright!

Goldie fish
7th October 2007, 22:02
I know. I suggested to Barry that it is enabled. It would be nice to have some standardisation across the forums here.

I don't see the point.

thepainter
9th October 2007, 20:13
Hi goldie New to this have patience. I was one of the guys who gave deirdre a lick of white paint at the dockyard before she left. I thought she was heading to america

Goldie fish
9th October 2007, 21:23
That was her original intended destination, until fate took a hand.

hptmurphy
9th October 2007, 23:36
Ended up in Poland for a few years and then was tied up in legal wrngel over the death of the owner.Job was never finished in Poland so she was sent furthur afield for fitting out..hence she is now in the carribean.

Dogwatch
10th October 2007, 09:30
Ended up in Poland for a few years and then was tied up in legal wrngel over the death of the owner.Job was never finished in Poland so she was sent furthur afield for fitting out..hence she is now in the carribean.

Rio De Janeiro is not in the Caribbean, not meaning to be pedantic or anything!

hptmurphy
10th October 2007, 20:41
Never got that far west myself..

I had read some where that she was destined for the carribbean to be used for cruising.I hadn't checked out the GR given so I mistakenly assumed that she was in the carribean some where.

correction accepted in the tone it was intended..thanks.

Jetjock
29th June 2008, 01:58
Anyone speak Portuguese? The company refurbishing the old girl are "Projato Serviços Ltda". No website listed..Phone number: (+21) 2223-0868!

Did a bit of digging around on the net and the project appears to be alive..albeit slow moving.

2007 press release from a sub contractor: http://www.superyachttimes.com/editorial/9/article/id/896

Stoker
29th June 2008, 16:59
Caterpillar diesels ( Main Engines I presume) and Kaler generators ( never heard of them) that can only be an improvement.

Goldie fish
29th June 2008, 17:12
Is it still in Brazil?

Jetjock
29th June 2008, 21:56
Appears to be Goldie. The company's address is in Rio:

Rua Visc Inhaúma, 58 s 910
Centro - Rio de Janeiro - RJ

Dogwatch
16th July 2008, 23:14
http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4153&g2_serialNumber=1

Another shot of Deirdre in Rio, does this tie in with the redevelopment work on her?! The 'corvette' shaped hull is very distinctive!

hptmurphy
17th July 2008, 07:44
Given the Sep. 23 2007 date in the photo it would appear that this photo may be older than the origianl one posted.

The shape is quite distinctive but it would appear from this shot that very little progress has been made given that the date given for completion according to the site is last year.

Test Pilot
25th July 2008, 17:56
Some faces from the past. Some I remember, some I dont. Where?

golden rivet
25th July 2008, 21:05
ray comerford. noel faughnan packie kearney mick meehan... packie is the only one still serving the other picture is willie bryant( pretty willie we used to call him) the middle guy is an officer paddy harkins.. as for the third guy he was a sig and the name wont come to me but he became a traffic warden in cork but unfortunately he was attacked by a lunatic with a hammer.. he got badly assualted paddy is now based in Paris as part of the chad deployment.......:biggrin:d retired but still in touch:biggrin:

hptmurphy
25th July 2008, 22:33
Jesus .I was in contact with Willie Bryant up to last year as was with Packie..trained me as a recruit and thought me about weekend passes.

The smal guy in the first photo is .. Derek ..?? a DE from 1986 came inas a leading hand and was a PO when I went to Eithne. Brililant guy!

Packie even looked as tough as bollocks back then... but have to say he was probably the most balance training NCO I ever came across.

Shared a cabin with RC a cuple of years later... **** me his mate legged it and joined the 'Wing'..lol

These were the tough guys in my day..the guys you wanted to emulate.

might not look like much...but GR was the Rheinmettall God... Ray Comerford was wthe Seaman that every captain wanted.. he could paint over hell

Willie Bryant could issue angels wings and get them to have them on repayment.

Test Pilot
26th July 2008, 10:58
Just came to me, is that Foxy Sommers beside Derick .....' ?

golden rivet
26th July 2008, 12:12
Just came to me, is that Foxy Sommers beside Derick .....' ? thats him that other guy is a ringer for harkins but hpt is correct... whats this not look like much as i said before small man big engine:tongue::tongue:

hptmurphy
26th July 2008, 16:23
Derek Kane Po ERA last I know.

damo de muff diver
4th August 2008, 14:42
Some faces from the past. Some I remember, some I dont. Where?

1-Willie Bryant (Dusty)
Derek Kane (ERA)
Foxy Somers(Sig)

2-Ray Comerford
Noel Faughan
Mick Meehan
Packie Carney(All Seaman)
do anyone know were these photos taken in Spain in 84 on Emers Leb trip:biggrin:

Test Pilot
4th August 2008, 16:22
1-Willie Bryant (Dusty)
Derek Kane (ERA)
Foxy Somers(Sig)

2-Ray Comerford
Noel Faughan
Mick Meehan
Packie Carney(All Seaman)
do anyone know were these photos taken in Spain in 84 on Emers Leb trip:biggrin:
Yes!

damo de muff diver
4th August 2008, 18:04
Yes!

I thought so
Is it just me or did most of de Emer crew get transferred to Eithne as first crew
hence with me getting stories all blurred together same crew,different ship.:biggrin:
Does anyone remember leaving Israel as we let go of de lines a taxi full of worse for wear sailiors having to jump from de quay wall onto de deck of de ship:eek:
Ohhhhh happy days

hptmurphy
4th August 2008, 22:37
hence with me getting stories all blurred together same crew,different ship

same beer,same quantities hence the blurring

Most of the originals were still on the Eithne when I joined in 1986, you were just back from your NCO's course with nice shiny new stripes

damo de muff diver
5th August 2008, 21:17
same beer,same quantities hence the blurring

Most of the originals were still on the Eithne when I joined in 1986, you were just back from your NCO's course with nice shiny new stripes

Yeah I remember them
First you get de stripes
Then you get de power
Then you get de women! :biggrin:

hptmurphy
5th August 2008, 23:06
lol...

... Galway comes to mind...

marloy
6th August 2008, 07:08
Yeah I remember them
First you get de stripes
Then you get de power

and then you wake up

damo de muff diver
6th August 2008, 13:06
lol...

... Galway comes to mind...

Anyone who can remember Galway was not trying hard enought on de drinking front
Shame on you :frown:
Galway it that de place somewhere in de west of Ireland :biggrin:
or am I thinking of somewhere else :eek:

marloy
6th August 2008, 13:49

cant remember its all a bit of a blur:biggrin:

marloy
6th August 2008, 16:21
Yeah I remember them
First you get de stripes
Then you get de power

then you wake up

hptmurphy
6th August 2008, 17:40
Oh how could I forget it..seeing as a certain mechs conquest turned up in Cobh to meet him and I was given twenty quid to take her out in his place as he was 'otter wise engaged', engaged being the operative word.

I took a hit for the team, problem was she turned up again at the June long weekend complete with the entire family this time and we were alongside Cobh..no where to run so just had to bite the bullet but the afore mentioned mech was no where to be seen.

Luckily I was on duty and couldn't entertain.

remember the song 'You've lost that loving feeling' being performed in Galway to this lady..she was a yank student,

Obviously she enjoyed the rendition of it so much she wanted more..and came searching. I even remember her name to this day

Eithne ...Galway..1988...

Able
6th August 2008, 21:24

All I can remember is getting thrown through a plate glass door at some club (by the bouncers), :confused: and then had to pay for the damage!!!!!! had a nice blue taxi (blue light included free) ride back to the ship with a stop over at the Hospital that night..... some good times!:biggrin:

I'm sure if you ask me I won't remember any details:rolleyes:
come to think of it I don't even remember what ship it was....

damo de muff diver
7th August 2008, 22:01
All I can say is you people are remembering way to much for my liking.
Come to think of it though,was that girl a BIG girl because I remember a BIG girl :eek:

hptmurphy
7th August 2008, 22:45
Come to think of it though,was that girl a BIG girl because I remember a BIG girl

She wasn't that big..although come to think of it she was bigger than you..as were most people.

Well stature wise..lol

Selective amnesia...or as they also term it..flash backs. We are just your conscience from twenty odd years ago.

damo de muff diver
7th August 2008, 23:25
I like BIG girls :biggrin:
Always seem to make you a big breakfast :smile:
Murpht I think she was a big girl because I think I remember that Mech and he liked BIG girls too :smile:

yooklid
19th November 2008, 21:42
Any sightings of the Lady lately?

Goldie fish
19th November 2008, 21:48
I thought so
Is it just me or did most of de Emer crew get transferred to Eithne as first crew
hence with me getting stories all blurred together same crew,different ship.:biggrin:

Could it be that Jockey brought those he knew from his time on Emer(his last ship before Eithne) along with him as he knew their strengths and weaknesses?

golden rivet
20th November 2008, 08:34
na he just went to the swampers and the ncos mess and rounded up the best of the crop at the time... what a crew he had... never let him down ..

pilatus
20th November 2008, 12:18
Any sightings of the Lady lately?

I was looking for her myself recently and i believe i have found her in Rio Di Janero.There is a picture of her in the gallery here from google earth, which has her at the same port/yard i have found her, but the pici have found shows her with her helipad conversion complete which adds roughly 10meters to her length.Maybe its a new HPV for the navy:biggrin::rolleyes:

Goldie fish
20th November 2008, 19:18
I don't think thats her. The proportions are wrong.

hptmurphy
20th November 2008, 21:56
Look at the date,its the same picture as was supplied 12months ago albeit this time of the wrong ship.

simon
30th December 2008, 15:29
They should have preserved it as a museum piece, it was the first purpose built ship built in in Ireland for the Navy.

Amen to that
- moored either in Dun Laoire as part of the National Maritime Museum or in Cork, where the Cill Airne (CIT training vessel) used to be - maybe still is - moored.
She could even perhaps have replaced Cill Airne as the training vessel for the Merchant Marine side of things.

Another option would have been something like http://www.mtb102.com/

She was a real milestone in Irish Maritime history, as well as being a major part of it with the Fastnet Race, the Claudia, the loss of Mick Quinn and the fact she was the first indigenous design for the patrol of Irish waters.
Terrible shame to see her go, and I dont think they will never be able to buy her back and restore her

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
30th December 2008, 18:57
Wrong dude you mentioned there too. Mick Quinn, not PK.

Goldie fish
30th December 2008, 19:03
Amen to that
- moored either in Dun Laoire as part of the National Maritime Museum or in Cork, where the Cill Airne (CIT training vessel) used to be - maybe still is - moored.
She could even perhaps have replaced Cill Airne as the training vessel for the Merchant Marine side of things.

Another option would have been something like http://www.mtb102.com/

She was a real milestone in Irish Maritime history, as well as being a major part of it with the Fastnet Race, the Claudia, the loss of L/S Kellet and the fact she was the first indigenous design for the patrol of Irish waters.
Terrible shame to see her go, and I dont think they will never be able to buy her back and restore her

The days of training ships are over, running costs are too excessive for a vessel that does not earn money. Simulators are the future.
Cill Airne is now sitting happpily with a major redesign on Dublin's quays, not far from Jurys Inn. She is now a floating pub/restaurant.
Museum ships are nice to have but the priority has to be maintaining a modern service fleet. Few foreign Navies larger than ours are capable of maintaining museum ships.

simon
31st December 2008, 02:40
Wrong dude you mentioned there too. Mick Quinn, not PK.

Post edited, apologies.

The training ship option was one of several. The best solution I believe would have been Dun Laoire or Cork as part of the National Maritime Museum, perhaps supported in part by a trust such as the MTB one mentioned, and the NS - something perhaps for the Slua and/or sea scouts also.
I feel that there were many options that should have been looked at rather than just making a sale.

I do realise active vessels take priority, but Dierdre is as much a part of the Islands maritime heritage as the Asgard or Galway Hookers.

As for training vessels, they still have their place. Simulators can achieve more in giving cadets 'control' but in terms of general seamanship, and many other aspects it does have its merits.

golden rivet
31st December 2008, 19:59
ok deirdre is now part of ins history and there is nothing more we can do about it..alas all our preserved history went up in smoke this year too when we should have asked to get a proper wing for it in collins barracks dublin but if you are not in the well in gang your voice is not heard

hptmurphy
31st December 2008, 20:18
Realistcally Naval Floating/ Marime / Museums do not work unless the ship is part of a bigger enviornment ..take HMS Victory for example.

The Floating Museum of a sweeper a frigate and a sub in I think Liverpool failed last year just because it was percieved to be just three floating hulks with astronomic maintainence costs and insurance premiums.

Ships of the size we operate are not / have operated were never meant to be full to the gunnels with the general public wandering round what are in reality even for ships crews tight spaces, Fine if people have enough interest in one aspect of the operation, how much maritime heritage could you display on the Emer perhaps given 40 odd crew members had difficulty getting around the thing as it is.

Ship preservation is beyond our means and its far more dignified for these ships to either continue their days at sea albeit in another guise or be converted to razor blades rather than having busloads of snotty children tramping around what was once a proud warship.

Yeah the Naval Archives could probably fit in a shoe box for now.. the Maritime crowd in Dunlaoighre are never open we can't afford to tie up people or funds on a PV tied to a wall for kids to play on..preserve what is there for now, forget about what is lost. and forget about trying to save ships..just save the memories in whatever format.

Goldie fish
31st December 2008, 21:14
I think anyone who visits HMS Belfast will understand the level of work required to keep open a floating museum. Belfast, by comparison to our ships is Huge, yet due to the requirements of accessability, and health and safety, relatively little of her is open to the public. Remember too that she is jointly operated by the IWM and the RN.
I believe Dun Laoighre is waiting for its roof to be repaired.

Laners
1st January 2009, 15:15
Just build a replica of Deirdre's senior rates mess with an audio recording of it's past members having a session or such .

moggy
1st January 2009, 15:17
ok deirdre is now part of ins history and there is nothing more we can do about it..alas all our preserved history went up in smoke this year too when we should have asked to get a proper wing for it in collins barracks dublin but if you are not in the well in gang your voice is not heard

If collins barracks received them they would only put on a display once a year i dont honestly believe they would be displayed all year round??

moggy
1st January 2009, 15:26
I think anyone who visits HMS Belfast will understand the level of work required to keep open a floating museum. Belfast, by comparison to our ships is Huge, yet due to the requirements of accessability, and health and safety, relatively little of her is open to the public. Remember too that she is jointly operated by the IWM and the RN.
I believe Dun Laoighre is waiting for its roof to be repaired.

the maritime museum has been closed the last 2 years due to complete building work
new roof has already been installed - due to open next year?? but with the government cutback etc dont really know when it will open -Yes deirdre was sold cheaply - but look at the cost if some instituation did in fact receive a ship cost of running esb, security etc

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
1st January 2009, 18:54
Just build a replica of Deirdre's senior rates mess with an audio recording of it's past members having a session or such .

Put Big George on the quay wall and let the ship form around him.

Dogwatch
17th January 2009, 23:00
http://www.fernandodealmeida.com/pg%20barcos/_220/images/g220-Popa-02.jpg

http://www.fernandodealmeida.com/pg%20barcos/_220/images/g220-Perfil.jpg

http://www.fernandodealmeida.com/pg%20barcos/_220/images/g220-Popa-01---render-2.jpg

http://www.fernandodealmeida.com/pg%20barcos/_220/images/g220-Proa-02.jpg

http://www.fernandodealmeida.com/pg%20barcos/_220/images/g220-Proa-01.jpg

Images taken from the following website

http://www.fernandodealmeida.com/pg%20barcos/_220/index.htm

golden rivet
18th January 2009, 02:38
thats not deirdre on the website

Goldie fish
18th January 2009, 11:03
Maybe they have plans...

sofa
18th January 2009, 11:05

Ya, looks like there is a rail around the pointy end.

Goldie fish
18th January 2009, 11:09
The pennant number is a giveaway!

Dogwatch
18th January 2009, 11:31
Yeah, but does anyone know of another OPV that has been sold and is in Brazil for renovation!

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
18th January 2009, 16:55
The pennant number is a giveaway!

It's the bleedin' "Devil's Yacht"...who sold that out from under their noses!:tongue:

spud68
20th February 2009, 17:53
Anybody else thinks is ironic that the deirdre will have an operating helideck

PeterCull
2nd June 2009, 19:44
An interesting link showing Deirdre as she will look as a super yacht...

Dogwatch
2nd June 2009, 22:10
An interesting link showing Deirdre as she will look as a super yacht...

See post 131!!

hptmurphy
3rd June 2009, 22:56
Well Aoife as pictured certainly hasn't

mugs
8th July 2009, 22:14
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/62/65/626538_98493251.jpg....

Dogwatch
27th December 2009, 23:52
http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/thumbs/rw/999896_800/Ship+Photo++Santa+Rita+de+C%E1ssia+-+exTosca+IV+exLE+Deirdre.jpg

Photographed in Brazil 08 Oct 2009, according to website.

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo-999896-+Santa+Rita+de+C%E1ssia+-+exTosca+IV+exLE+Deirdre

pilatus
28th December 2009, 00:08
Oh dear, she doesnt look too good at all!A lick of paint wouldnt do her any harm!

golden rivet
28th December 2009, 11:58
is that gonzo at the paint store

ZULU
28th December 2009, 12:26
http://www.fernandodealmeida.com/pg%20barcos/_220/images/g220-Perfil.jpg

http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/thumbs/rw/999896_800/Ship+Photo++Santa+Rita+de+C%E1ssia+-+exTosca+IV+exLE+Deirdre.jpg

Photographed in Brazil 08 Oct 2009, according to website.

What happened!? haha

golden rivet
28th December 2009, 21:13
recession perhaps

GoneToTheCanner
30th December 2009, 21:55
Look at the rust on the yoke the photo was taken from! More chance of that heap going down than the tatty ex-Deirdre.
regards
GttC

ZULU
31st December 2009, 03:25
Look at the rust on the yoke the photo was taken from! More chance of that heap going down than the tatty ex-Deirdre.
regards
GttC

Meh. Its only superficial (I hope!)

GoneToTheCanner
31st December 2009, 19:48
Superficial rust on a South American river boat? Imagine that! Doesn't bear thinking about.
regards
GttC

armedboarder
19th May 2010, 10:23
http://www.gogobrazil.com/santarita.pdf

Goldie fish
19th May 2010, 10:36
That is very interesting.
I see the shipyard is welcoming visits from any Irish Naval people currently in Brazil to see how our old asset is getting on.

Hard to believe she was retired almost 10 years ago.

So we are "enthusaists" now.

boomer
20th May 2010, 14:25
IMO is being used as a research tool I see :)

Guess the search function is being used after all :-D

Stoker
20th May 2010, 23:18
I see P O Neill is now working in Rio.

Re Deirdre, some one has had the good sense to get rid of those British Polar engines,what heaps of s---t.
No doubt the worst engine I ever sailed with.
They seem to make a big deal of monitoring 400 alarm points, I could think of 400 off the top of my head, for a vessel with two Main engines, three generators, etc, 1200 monitoring points might be nearer to it. I am glad to see the Engine Room alarms go off in the Captains cabin1

hptmurphy
21st May 2010, 11:11
Someone drop Joe Hickey Cox'n LE Niamh an email.Hes in Brazil..probably one of the few on the Foreign Trip remaining that served on Deirdre. Might be a good photo oppertunity

Some tell the navy..

ollie
21st May 2010, 13:21
Someone drop Joe Hickey Cox'n LE Niamh an email.Hes in Brazil..probably one of the few on the Foreign Trip remaining that served on Deirdre. Might be a good photo oppertunity

Some tell the navy..

Ask pat off facebook to pass on the message murf, like you said could be a good lil story

warthog
23rd May 2010, 21:20
any chance he can ask if we can have it back? :n:)

hptmurphy
24th May 2010, 14:07
Why...If the plating on Emer and Aoife is dangerously thing Deirdres can only be worse!

marloy
25th May 2010, 09:12
a lot of her plating was replaced while on a 6 month refit in the late eighties because of corossion

Goldie fish
25th May 2010, 10:45
Also, she had a shorter service life than any of the current fleet, entering service in 1972 and being retired on schedule before 2001.
That said, she was the ONLY OPV patrolling the 200 mile limit when it was introduced in 1976 until 1978. I don't think either Ferdia or Setanta had the legs.

zone 1
25th May 2010, 13:12
she had also extra plating added to her sides down buy the water line , i think that has also been done on the type 42s British ship

hptmurphy
25th May 2010, 13:23
So , if her engines had been replaced could she possibly be still in service?

I remember the half life refit in 1987 where they stripped here to the bone and removed the lifeboat, and every layer of paint she ever had, rose about two feet in the water.

Given the service she had provided in the absence of more PVs and even then when the fleet increased here work load didn't diminish.

The same can be said of all the ships especially the PVs they have been work horses for their entire lives and must at this stage beyond the point of economic repair.

Goldie fish
25th May 2010, 13:50
During that refit, didn't they also chop the funnel mast and remove much of the steel bulwark on the bridge deck and replace it with railings?
The question was never truly answered why when she was being designed, Irish Shipping were brought in to advise on her design. In truth, Irish Shipping knew very little about ship design, and even less about naval requirements. It was only during Emer's building, when NEVESBU were retained as advisors, combined with the experience of Naval Personnel, that the Deirdre design was improved to become Emer.

marloy
25th May 2010, 14:01
the funnel was chopped to reduce noise levels as you could hear her long before you seen her. then they discovered asbestos!!!!!! another month onto the refit

Sluggie
25th May 2010, 19:58
I lost my wrist watch in her starboard cable locker in 1993.

Someone found it a couple of months later and posted it back to my unit. It was still working!

hptmurphy
25th May 2010, 21:35
I would suspect that Irish Shipping were the sea going experts at the time. Given the NS had very little experience beyond former RN vessels the Department decided to insure itself gains over enthusiastic Naval Officers ,

No big mystery to Deirdres design in the end, Ocean going trawler hull design fine tuned by a design bearu to make easy to build cheap warships.

Just so far ahead of its time that no one was really interested except Ireland.

Cold war in progress nobody was really interested in pure FP vessels, everything had to have a primary role as a full blown warship.

If the cold war had ended in 1972 Deirdre would have been an instant hit.

Everything about her was twenty years ahead of naval thinking at the time....cabins as opposed to mess decks...single galleys and messing arrangements. Guys who had served on corvettes only a couple of years earlier must have thought they had died and gone to heaven.

Someone found it a couple of months later and posted it back to my unit. It was still working!

Thats brilliant...

During that refit, didn't they also chop the funnel mast and remove much of the steel bulwark on the bridge deck and replace it with railings?

Sure did..her bridge was also lower than Emer, had a shorter stern section, internally was vastly different..and of course that big bathtub up front.

Goldie fish
9th February 2011, 21:34
Just thinking there today, Tis 10 years since P20 was decommissioned, and, as far as we know, she is still loitering around the place.
I hope the next few ships to be retired do not meet the same fate. It's like having an old friend in a vegitative state. You know they'd be better off either fully alive, or better off dead..
They(P21, P22, P23) seem too good for the breakers yard, but not quite good enough for patrolling atlantic storms. This episode with Dierdre/Tosca IV/whatever has proved the money or interest isn't there to turn them into megayachts, and those who can still afford today can probably afford a newbuild anyway.
I think the aussies had the right idea with the , Attack class Patrol Boats when they replaced them with Fremantle Class. The Old boats were passed to Papua New Guinea and Indonesia, which at the time were developing countries. Similarly, the RN have donated surplus minehunters to the emerging Balkan states, which no longer had the protection of the Soviet Navy.

easyrider
10th February 2011, 11:40
Now that we're back to being a bananana republic, maybe someone could donate a few vessels our way :frown:

DeV
10th February 2011, 17:51
Just thinking there today, Tis 10 years since P20 was decommissioned, and, as far as we know, she is still loitering around the place.
I hope the next few ships to be retired do not meet the same fate. It's like having an old friend in a vegitative state. You know they'd be better off either fully alive, or better off dead..
They(P21, P22, P23) seem too good for the breakers yard, but not quite good enough for patrolling atlantic storms. This episode with Dierdre/Tosca IV/whatever has proved the money or interest isn't there to turn them into megayachts, and those who can still afford today can probably afford a newbuild anyway.
I think the aussies had the right idea with the , Attack class Patrol Boats when they replaced them with Fremantle Class. The Old boats were passed to Papua New Guinea and Indonesia, which at the time were developing countries. Similarly, the RN have donated surplus minehunters to the emerging Balkan states, which no longer had the protection of the Soviet Navy.

If the NS could make a few euro to help fund their replacements it could only be a good thing!

Goldie fish
10th February 2011, 18:10
The NS never makes money on the sales, It is the exchequer.

DeV
10th February 2011, 19:21
Ok contribute then

hedgehog
12th February 2011, 18:09
An interesting little story in P.ie about LE Deirdre,

Sad to see a ship that provided such sterling service to us just lying there.

I would imagine some of you sea hags who have a connection with her would be sad.

Sorry if it was posted before.

A/TEL
12th February 2011, 20:54
An interesting little story in P.ie about LE Deirdre,

Sad to see a ship that provided such sterling service to us just lying there.

I would imagine some of you sea hags who have a connection with her would be sad.

Sorry if it was posted before.

Post 151 bud....

Feckin Honkeys...... :n:)

hedgehog
12th February 2011, 22:34
Post 151 bud....

Feckin Honkeys...... :n:)

Arrrrr shiver me timbers- I missed that-

but mine was more poetic,

and in the version I saw there was an extra page detailing how a hidden locker was found

beside where the crew had their quarters- and in this hidden locker were 20

dresses in mens sizes- for the sake of comradelyness I didnt include that page,:n:):neek:

A/TEL
12th February 2011, 23:28
Arrrrr shiver me timbers- I missed that-

but mine was more poetic,

and in the version I saw there was an extra page detailing how a hidden locker was found

beside where the crew had their quarters- and in this hidden locker were 20

dresses in mens sizes- for the sake of comradelyness I didnt include that page,:n:):neek:

Your facinated with the Naval page for some reason, and your stereotypical comment are becoming boring at this stage. May i suggest that threads on the Army and Army reserve might suit you better!!!

Im sure theres loads over there about drinking tea and taking half days etc etc etc...... :n:)

hptmurphy
12th February 2011, 23:37
HH would have good made a good Jack Tar..problem is we had enough Dubs at the time.

We can make you an 'Honoray member' but you'll have to take a turn in the barrel first!!!

golden rivet
13th February 2011, 11:20
ya cant beat a good coddle......har har...oh murph into the barrel with him,,,

A/TEL
26th August 2012, 18:49
13 August 2012

"The tow of the mega-yacht “Santa Rita I” from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to Jacksonville,
Florida has been just successfully completed. The 212’ yacht will have additional
outfitting and finishing work completed at BAE Shipyard in Jacksonville, Florida after
her conversion in Brazil from a former Irish Naval Frigate to a luxury mega-yacht."

Source: http://www.marcon.com/library/sales_reports/tug-sales.pdf

Flintstone
26th August 2012, 19:14
13 August 2012

"The tow of the mega-yacht “Santa Rita I” from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to Jacksonville,
Florida has been just successfully completed. The 212’ yacht will have additional
outfitting and finishing work completed at BAE Shipyard in Jacksonville, Florida after
her conversion in Brazil from a former Irish Naval Frigate to a luxury mega-yacht."

Source: http://www.marcon.com/library/sales_reports/tug-sales.pdf

It's taking a long time and the fitting our is not completed yet. Must be hard to source gold plated heads.

Goldie fish
26th August 2012, 20:23
From Linkdin

Chief Engineer

M/Y Santa Rita 1

November 2010 – Present (1 year 10 months) Brazil! Rio de janeiro

 Major refit M/Y Santa Rita 1 220’ September 2010- present job
 This is a major refit of a 220’ ex navy vessel wich will became a Motor Yacht after refit. The whole engine room was rip off and one by one the equipments were overhauled, 2 x 1550 KW British Polar Mains, stabilizers, purifiers, main pumps, etc.There were installed 4 x 150 KW brand new Kholer generators, water makers, Main Switch Board, Emergency Generator and Emergency switch board as well. All electric cables and pipes were removed and new ones are installed. A new beach door 6mts x 3 mts were fitted with hyd system etc. New AC and walking cooler/freezer system installed. New Quantum QC 1800 installed and commisonned. She was drydocked twice and simplex seal replaced, sand blasted and paint job done. All this jobs and few more were under my comand interacting with DNV, flag authorities, contractors, etc. It was installed a Yacht administrator software by myself where the electronic maintenance system (IDEA) is our support system plus all reports made for administration, captain, insurance, etc.

Dogwatch
30th August 2012, 10:41
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7218/7339749628_5f22dd58cb_z.jpg
At the BAE Systems yard in Florida

Lorenco
30th August 2012, 22:27
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7218/7339749628_5f22dd58cb_z.jpg
At the BAE Systems yard in Florida

What a transformation. I worked on the building of LE Deirdre in Verolme as an apprentice fitter in 1971.

Goldie fish
11th September 2012, 20:47
Naval Photo section on Facebook have some nice new photos of her in drydock.

Goldie fish
22nd September 2012, 19:13
We aren't the only ones converting Naval vessels to luxury yachts.

From this...

http://cdn2.shipspotting.com/photos/middle/9/6/0/307069.jpg

Dutch frigate Piet Heyn

To this
http://www.superyachttimes.com/images/3/2853/main_568x418.jpg
http://www.seawaves.com/images/ships/swift.gif
Motor Yacht Swift 141

Lorenco
22nd September 2012, 20:52
We aren't the only ones converting Naval vessels to luxury yachts.

From this...

http://cdn2.shipspotting.com/photos/middle/9/6/0/307069.jpg

Dutch frigate Piet Heyn

To this
http://www.superyachttimes.com/images/3/2853/main_568x418.jpg
http://www.seawaves.com/images/ships/swift.gif
Motor Yacht Swift 141

Holy Sh1t. How do they do that?

ZULU
22nd September 2012, 23:20
Why would you want to! If you have the money for a ship like that why not build new!?

A/TEL
2nd November 2013, 23:07
Above photos were not the Deirdre.

See attached photos taken Fri 01 Nov 2013

According to reports she was abandoned by her Brazilian owner and is to be scrapped.

If true its a sad ending to the story.7302

Goldie fish
3rd November 2013, 04:04
Try again with the attachment there

Oldtugs
3rd November 2013, 10:49
According to reports she was abandoned by her Brazilian owner and is to be scrapped.

If true its a sad ending to the story.

The reports are true. The part of conversion that was conducted in Brazil over a few years resulted in structural damage that made continuing the project impossible. The boat is now in the hands of the owner's lawyers as evidence. When the lawyers have extracted as much as possible from all parties, the hulk will be towed away for scrapping, probably in Texas

It is the final chapter in a sad and shameful story.

Dave_Lewis
5th November 2013, 09:49
I never heard about that - always assumed those pictures of the yacht in Florida were genuine. Very sad ending indeed...seems like the Brazilians destroyed the ship.

A/TEL
6th November 2013, 00:57
Ill try post photos of Ex-P20 again

golden rivet
6th November 2013, 00:58
hope they find our bottles of cider we spogged in the bilges,,,,

hptmurphy
6th November 2013, 14:37
That wouldn't be the most recent photo given there are photos available of her witha full paint job, black hull with a white superstructure in circulation.

hptmurphy
6th November 2013, 15:00
[7310

Its her

Check Post #181, thats a NEVESBU hull form, and they don't do yachts.

A/TEL
6th November 2013, 17:19
Photos were taken last Friday 1st November 2013. Its def her.

hptmurphy
6th November 2013, 18:45
Photos were taken last Friday 1st November 2013. Its def her.

Source?

A/TEL
6th November 2013, 19:21
Source?

I took them!!!!!

hptmurphy
6th November 2013, 19:29
I took them!!!!!

wow...!

A/TEL
6th November 2013, 19:40
wow...!

No need for sarcasm......

Talked to a shipyard worker to confirm it was P20, he confirmed it!.

Any other questions??????????????????

hptmurphy
7th November 2013, 09:44
No need for sarcasm......

Talked to a shipyard worker to confirm it was P20, he confirmed it!.

Any other questions??????????????????

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was genuinely impressed that you had found the former LE Deirder in a non reported state where all the other photos are out there to prove she lived happily ever after, you were able to disprove this which ties in with my opinions on what should be done with former Naval Service vessels, that often scrapping or remployment in a naval role is the most honourable option.

My apologies if you mistook this for sarcasm.

Often a link to a source is required for verification, what better if a guy sees it himself.

Thanks

A/TEL
7th November 2013, 21:11
I wasn't being sarcastic, I was genuinely impressed that you had found the former LE Deirder in a non reported state where all the other photos are out there to prove she lived happily ever after, you were able to disprove this which ties in with my opinions on what should be done with former Naval Service vessels, that often scrapping or remployment in a naval role is the most honourable option.

My apologies if you mistook this for sarcasm.

Often a link to a source is required for verification, what better if a guy sees it himself.

Thanks

Roger that, my mistake!.

:n:):n:):n:)

hptmurphy
7th November 2013, 22:08
Roger that, my mistake!.

no probs, I often incur the wrath of others due to my persistent quizing or sarcastic commentary, even I lose touch with me!

Goldie fish
8th November 2013, 06:27
get a room you two :-)

svdagny
1st October 2014, 18:21
Hello, In July and August of 2014, the motor yacht SANTA RITA (formerly your warship L.E. Deirdre) was towed up the St. Johns River in North Florida to Green Cove Springs, where she was scrapped. My husband Petur was working nearby on our sailing ketch. We took a look at the sad ship. Her wheel house had been plucked at by a demolition machine, wires and glass and steel twisted in a hideous snarl... And then Petur caught wind of the fact that there was South American hardwood inside the ship. Petur being a rabid scavenger, and the scrappers being interested in METALS ONLY, Petur got permission to work after-hours at removing the teak and other fine woods.

Petur lost 10 pounds in sweat during these weeks! He took his reciprocating saw to the teak flooring, jacking up 9x9 ft sections. He removed two round plexiglass windows, two murphy-beds, and many many sections of nice hardwood paneling and cabinetry. Meanwhile I researched the vessel's history, which is how I found this forum, and I learned (facts not guaranteed) about the poor British millionaire who planned to use the ship as a private residence for tax-avoidance purposes but sadly met an early death by helicopter crash. Then the ship was purchased by a poor Brazilian millionaire who must have had more money than sense - he ended up letting boat go over a lawsuit with a shipyard, BAE, in Jacksonville, FL, and although I searched for more info about this I never learned more than speculation that work done on computerized safety systems had failed inspections.

Reference the computerized system, sandwiched between decks and ceilings were an amazing snarl of wiring, piping, ducting, conduit and spaghetti. Apparently the plan was to have fire systems, lighting, heat and air, water, doors, alarms, intercom, you name it, all wired into one grand master computer. The electrical boxes and rooms for the electrical boxes were extensive. SMASH, CRUSH. Into the scrap dumpster!

So much for the yoga room with jacuzzi, the staterooms with elegant paneling, the sauna with round windows. I cannot imagine why these millionaires spent so much to convert this ship. She met the fate of good ships, recycled: engines, winches, cranes and other large machinery removed and sold, iron scrap away to the recycling plant, and teak wood into my old man's next carpentry project. I hope you enjoyed learning about this and I will try to post photos here. If the photos don't go, let me know. Thank you, Rhea