Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food

I know about balance diets and eating healthy etc but here goes:

I've switched from tea and pot of porridge for breakfast to tea, banana, low fat yogurt and the new cereal biscuits (for a bit of a change).

I've got an hour for lunch and a walk around the block probably takes around 30 minutes of so, so I've decided I'm going to have a bit of lunch in the car and then go for a walk.

I'm looking for suggestions for lunches (something that I can leave in the car (safely) from 0800 to 1300) - not a sandwich etc:

I'm thinking:

A banana
    Bottle of water
    A cereal bar (of some description)
    may be bowl of cold pasta with a bit of vegetable

Any other suggestions?

Grill or boil a chicken fillet the night before. Bring a bottle/jar of your favourite sauce and it'll liven up the veg/pasta a bit for you. I'm loving 'Franks' hot sauce at the moment.

Comment

Yera shtop being a woman and ate a breakfast roll will ya.

On a serious note, fair play. Doing similar myself at the minute. Try putting hot pasta in a thermos. Keeps it warm for hours, and provides a leak proof solution. Very few things give the same morale boost as a nice hot meal. You can do similar with a chickpea curry and brown rice oe a bean chilli and brown rice. High in slow release energy, relatively low in fat, and keeps you full for hours.
      Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Grill or boil a chicken fillet the night before. Bring a bottle/jar of your favourite sauce and it'll liven up the veg/pasta a bit for you. I'm loving 'Franks' hot sauce at the moment
        I wouldn't leave it sit unrefrigerated in a car for 4 hours before eating it.

HACCP would say it should be out of refrigeration for more than 20mins!

may be bowl of cold pasta
        Add green or red pesto for taste, small jars available in Aldi for under a euro.

Stick it in a plastic container with a lid....

Tinned tuna some sweetcorn, dry salad ...Tuna cane be a bit bland, but recommended.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Don't knock the porridge for breakfast, it's slow release, lowers cholesterol, you can't beat it. I usually stir a yoghurt through mine, to give it some lift.

As regards lunch, get an insulated bag and ice-block, it'll work in the car.
          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            I wouldn't leave it sit unrefrigerated in a car for 4 hours before eating it.

HACCP would say it should be out of refrigeration for more than 20mins!

Totally safe. Wrapped in a bit of tin foil and put into a lunch box. Nothing at all wrong wit it.

Comment

Totally safe. Wrapped in a bit of tin foil and put into a lunch box. Nothing at all wrong wit it

Not cooked meats , especially chicken, bacteria multiply at a temperature of greater than 0 - 4 degrees and the product will lose its core temperature after twenty minutes out of refrigeration.

Continue at your own risk, have given a career around the preparation and sale of food , cooked and uncooked I tend to fall on the side of sticking to guidelines........

HACCP is actually legislation as opposed to advisory, but when you are intent on poisioning yourself, it should be considered as advisory
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Stanley do a solid insulated flask that pops up on sale in Aldi every now and again. Its pretty hard wearing. You can literally kick it around the place with no ill effect.
                Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Not cooked meats , especially chicken, bacteria multiply at a temperature of greater than 0 - 4 degrees and the product will lose its core temperature after twenty minutes out of refrigeration.

Continue at your own risk, have given a career around the preparation and sale of food , cooked and uncooked I tend to fall on the side of sticking to guidelines........

HACCP is actually legislation as opposed to advisory, but when you are intent on poisioning yourself, it should be considered as advisory
                  I'm not all intent on poisoning myself. Funnily enough i've eaten meat this way thousands of times (as recently as today) and not once poisoned myself.

If everyone was to stick to HAACP guidelines when preparing their daily lunch, they would need a fridge in the car just to get it to work.

Comment

HACCP who mentioned that , my working day would be a lot less complicated without it .
                    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

If everyone was to stick to HAACP guidelines when preparing their daily lunch, they would need a fridge in the car just to get it to work
                      Try a cooler bag with the ice packs, or failing that Aldi/Lidl often haven car fridges on sale.

Cars tend to magnify heat and food stored there within will be slighlty heated bring bacteria back to life!

and not once poisoned myself

Yet.... your next dose of salmonella is just around the corner!

HACCP who mentioned that , my working day would be a lot less complicated without it

Wouldn't it just, remember the rations truck in Haulbowline... probe that! I reckon the stuff has semi cooked coming out of it. Ex P & T crew cab service truck!!!!!

Theres is a generation who served in the DF at a certain time who are immune to all these little bugs!

Comment

Do Enviromental Health Officers inspect Defence Forces facilities / Ships . I know one in particular who I would love to see trying to do an inspection , maybe while the ship was at sea .

Comment

See the first post please

Comment

Yet.... your next dose of salmonella is just around the corner!
                            Lol ....... next would imply there has been a first, which there most certainly hasn't!

Comment

Check out Argos for food thermos flask . The wife uses one to bring to work , she started on a no carb diet a while back and I make a batch of fresh veg soup with chickpeas . Carrots , celery , turnip , spinach , red green yellow peppers , onion , chopped tomatoes , chicken stock , mixed herbs . Chickpeas have a very high energy content ( 361 Cal per 100 grams ) phosphorus , calcium and iron . Lentils all work very well .

Comment

Working...
                              X