Naval Base Rebuilding Programme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Base Rebuilding Programme

The Minister for Defence, Michael Smith, T.D. has announced that his Department has placed three contracts for refurbishing buildings at the Naval Base, Haulbowline, Cork with a total overall value, including consultancy, design and other project services, in excess of €3m.

Details of the individual contracts, all of which were placed following a competitive tender process, are as follows:-

· Refurbishment of Hero Row, Old Married Quarters. The building will be converted to provide single room accomodation units with ablution facilities. The main contract, valued at €0.91m approx. was placed with Joseph Lane & Sons, Cork and the project is expected to take eight months to complete.

· Refurbishment of the Old Dry Canteen. This project will convert the building, which is of regional architectural significance, into a logistics unit headquarters for the Naval Service. Modern office accommodation for up to thirty people will be provided. The main contract, valued at €0.68m approx. was placed with Cumnor Construction, Cork and the project is expected to take six months to complete.

· Refurbishment of the Billet Block. The main contract, valued at €1.4m approx. was placed with John F. Supple Ltd, Cork and the project is expected to take twelve months to complete.

Minister Smith said "I am delighted to announce these three new contracts which will further improve facilities for the Naval Service. These contracts are more evidence of my commitment to implement the modernisation programme as set out in the White Paper on Defence. Since 1997 in excess of €150 million has been spent on modernising infrastructure and facilities across the country."

"Although the Government must take account of the prevailing economic circumstances and continue its prudent approach to public spending, I aim to ensure that this investment and modernisation programme continues".

{note}
    As far as I know the last building mentioned is haunted by the ghost of some WW1 serviceman who hung himself from the rafters...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

The ghost was seen !

What about the bullet hole in the roof of the sentry box on number two beat.

What about the swampers...will it finally get a flushing indoor toilet?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Anyone know what will become of the land formerly occupied by Irish Steel/Ispat,when they finally clean it up. Is the naval school going to move to the Maritime College in ringaskiddy when its finished?
      Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

The Ispat land has been surveyed wrt environmental clean up but nothing firm has been announced about plans for the land.

Some of the professional courses covered by the school will move to the college but the school itself will continue to exist.
        No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
        No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
          Most billets are... allegedly
          any good ghost stories

Comment

It is not impossible to have a temporary structure available for this purpose. (Ships in Refit). A combination of portocabins could easily be managed, and moved to where required, such as Cork Dockyard, by existing DF transport. The New flatbed with crane is identical to one used by Eurocabin. The RN Frequently used accomodation barges for this purpose, however many of these were converted for use as temporary prisons.

A Ship on major refit is not a comfortable living environment. Some would say it is not a safe living environment either.

The Gym in Haulbowline is not as large as I expected. Compare it to the one in Collins Barracks for example. However another comparison is that the Gym in collins Barracks burnt down in 1979 and was not replaced until 1996. In that time the Army in cork had NO proper gym. Be thankful you have a gym.

However I don't consider mess opening hours to be a real priority to the operation of the Naval service. They seem to have the same opening hours as similar messes and canteens throughout the rest of the Defence forces.

Comment

Originally posted by rosser
              Any chance of getting a accomadation block in the basin for ships onrefit?

Lets take a average PV.

5 Junior ratings living in.
              1 Senior Rating living in.
              1 OOD.
              1 Duty Tach.
              2 QM's.

No fresh water i.e no sinks, showers, cooking. No Sea Water i.e No toilet. and if you do have S/W no Sewage Treatment Unit. No Air Con so no heating or cooling, No Laundry.

In this day and age it is just plain stupid to have personnel living in onboard the vessels during refit, some might argue at anytime but lets keep to refits for now.

Please provide an acomm block with sink and showers and heads for use by the ship on refit, keys keep by the D/PO and checked like the vessel itself during Officers rounds.

A small pantry area to be included let the duty driver do pick up and drop off for the duty watch and living in's for meals.

The ideal would be to have no living in personnel onboard while the ship is alongside the base at all but I may die of old age before I see that.

While we on the subject can we get decent accomm for the personnel working in the base the new block 6 where the entire base now seems to work out off has no changing area and no showers, who the hell design the thing?.

Can we get a new weights room added on to the gym please its to small and packed to train properly in there now, also can we get an up grade to the gym changing room and showers please its dire.

Can we also get the Bars and Canteens in the base open again please the JR's and SR's mess are closed for anything but special ops, with the dry canteen only open during stand easy and lunch.
              a few brilliant ideas,, BUT it seems the ns is going backwards as we once got most of this on Warship deirdre we had a billet to ourselves provided cooks messmen stewards etc to the base and we were off the ship at secure every evening.. how did this happen?? because our officers asked for it,,simple.. sorry only a dusty drillshed at the time but we had a mess officers ,,ncos ,, men ,, all open for the personell living in may not have been too pretty but open now the ns according to the pr sent to the papers has everything or is it only able simulate everything out in the shiny naval college...

Comment

It would also ese the strain on the peacocks crews if there was living space in the basin or adjacent to the oil wharf.

This item was discussed previuosly regarding minesweepers and the content is well understood by tose who have served on ships especially those in refit where conditions can become very uncomfortable.

I agree totally with what has been posted and hope some of those looking in from time to time would look at it as a very basic need in this day and age.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

the Ratings mess has been open full time for the past 2 months and the canteen is open from 19.00 to 19.30 before the bar opens. the NCOs mess is still closed due to staff shortages but does open for functions.

Comment

The current(2008) estimates have set aside €28m towards buildings, much of which is earmarked for the Naval service.

Comment

Hmm so the choice is a new officers mess or a ship....

Comment

Removed by Owner
                        Last edited by Guest; 4 February 2008, 11:21. Reason: Removed by Owner

Comment

Now Mick V (RIP) as well.

Two well sound blokes.
                          And the whore of babylon shall riiide forth in a frenzy of excitement.

Frak me my Mandalore clobber has a two+unmod sv.

:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            The current(2008) estimates have set aside €28m towards buildings, much of which is earmarked for the Naval service.

As far as i know the next big project is Block 8 plus a new small arms range.

Comment

Which one is block 8? Which one did they do?

Comment

Working...
                              X