Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training for the Army.

Hey,

I was thinking of applying to the Army, I would love to do it but the only thing that is stopping me are my own fitness levels, I used to be fit and go to the gym everyday but I fell out of that routine and absolutely hate it so I'm back in the gym now and really want to try and start a career in the Army, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into what sort of fitness levels would be required for it, as in how much running would be done daily and what other exercises would be brought out on a daily basis.

To give you an idea of my own fitness levels, I would probably die after the fitness testing, which is 2.4k in 11 minutes and 40 seconds for a male.

And yes I am getting back into running and I have 2.9k mapped out around my area which I'm doing everyday but I haven't started to time it yet as I can't complete it without stopping and also even when I can complete without stopping and I'm making it within the time I would still be pretty put off applying as I reckon that's the bare minimum.

So can anyone please give me some insight onto what sort of fitness levels would be required.

Thanks in advance,
    Kimboi.

There is a handy guide from the Defence Forces regarding some ways in which to begin getting in shape. This was part of a link posted in another topic by DeV, and could prove useful for someone in your situation. Just scroll down to near the bottom to see the little table they have laid out with suggestions for training.

http://www.military.ie/fileadmin/use...oklet_2012.pdf

Comment

A bit old now, but a great training programme on Military Fitness is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Marine.../dp/0091776996.

It's a few (20 odd) years since I first used it, but it was a great self-containersrogramme, needing little more than a Bergan, running shoes and a good pair of boots (and a bike) for it.

It set good "self" goals, with targets to reach, and a realistic time- frame.
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Thanks very much for the help guys

Comment

Originally posted by Kimboi View Post

To give you an idea of my own fitness levels, I would probably die after the fitness testing, which is 2.4k in 11 minutes and 40 seconds for a male.
          Bear in mind there will be probably be people who are able to do it in about 8/9 minutes doing the tests (that is what you will be up against)!

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            Bear in mind there will be probably be people who are able to do it in about 8/9 minutes doing the tests (that is what you will be up against)!
            The fitness test for enlistment is pass / fail.

The interview board has no idea what you scored in fitness testing, other than that you passed the required tests.

It makes no difference if you pass with 1 second or 5 minutes to spare. It also matters not if you do 100 sit ups and press ups.

In training is a different story.

Comment

And the fitter you are the more able you will be for it.

Comment

Working...
              X