Ending of MATS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ending of MATS

The boys in Sligo have shown the way. We now know how to get the government to remove a task from the Air Corps. So to get them to privatise MATS we need to get the Air Corps crews to be sick (preferably on the minister). Once MATS is privatised the AC can focus on defense of the country. This will make aircraft procurement easy as the aircraft roles will be more focused.

Re: ending of MATS

Originally posted by c22910
    So to get them to privatise MATS we need to get the Air Corps crews to be sick (preferably on the minister).
    But that would mean the other departments would need to finance their own transport ...
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Consider too, that all of those Mercs and Limo's that you see the various Ministers being driven around in, are all bought, maintained etc out of the Garda Transport budget. The next time you see a heap of sh1te masquerading as a squad car, compare it to the Garda vehicles that the politicos are riding around in !!!

So, Victor, I seriously doubt we'll see any change to the status quo on government transport.
      :confused:
      No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Once MATS is privatised the AC can focus on defense of the country. This will make aircraft procurement easy as the aircraft roles will be more focused.

And tell me, how would the privatisation of MATS automatically make things easier for the Air Corps? As things stand there are two aircraft focused on MATS (GIV and Lear), and all the rest are dedicated to other tasks.

Comment

Two less aircraft to pay for/maintain. Even if this does not mean more money for the AC at least the public would have a clearer picture of how spend on defense.

The press often makes a big deal out the DF budget perhaps they would realise its not nearly enough.

Comment

Two less aircraft to pay for/maintain. Even if this does not mean more money for the AC at least the public would have a clearer picture of how spend on defense.

Problem is it would mean even less money for the AC as their budgets would be cut to reflect the loss of MATS, and they'd lose a significant amount of their public profile.

Comment

I don't want there profile to be mostly transporting ministers around. Maybe thats just perception at the moment because of all the stink about the new jet.

If the AC were seen as a arm that mostly provided cover for the Army and Navy both a home and abroad (were cover is needed.) I would be fine with them also doing ministerial transport.

My issue is, it seems from the current press coverage thats all they do (not true of course).

Comment

Yeah, if they end MATS, the AC will cease to exist
                Meh.

Comment

I agree with yooklid ,if Ministers fly by Ryan Air or others the Aer Corp is gone and another saving for Bertie that may go towards the Bertie Bowl?

Comment

goc, most Ministerial trips are on scheduled flights (including Ryanair, from time to time), whoever gets the jet(s) depends on the importance of the job, and of course the pecking order.

In truth, the MATS service is very handy in that it gives the AC a lot of press. Theres little chance of it being entirely privatised for the moment either. Having these aircraft registered as military gives them a lot of advantages to the end users.

Comment

Working...
                    X