Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Land Rovers in Liberia (Any hard info or pics )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Rovers in Liberia (Any hard info or pics )

is there any further info on the land Rover 110 wmk ( weapon mount kit ) featured in the press used by ARW before christmas
    hope fully not leased items and on Irish reg plates

rgds

cav gunner

Here

Comment

Photo of one in the thread re: Liberian rebels... dosen't look like having an irish reg...

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian
        Photo of one in the thread re: Liberian rebels... dosen't look like having an irish reg...
        That's a UN plate

Comment

So I gather it is an DF vehicle, it needs a UN plate?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian
            So I gather it is an DF vehicle, it needs a UN plate?
            I take it that the plate is associated with the mission; it begins UNMIL and is followed by a numeric group.

Comment

British landrovers

[MOD: This post was in response to a post by Victor in another thread.It was moved here as the discussion which followed related to this thread.The question re British Landrovers is therefore out of context through no fault of Frank Aiken.]

Don't think they are british landrovers? The brits have full military spec landrovers, the ones in Liberia are a standard land rover with a few extra gun mounts etc.

Comment

All nationally registered vehicles are fitted with UN plates when they arrive in the mission area. The letters on the plate are the name of the mission,

eg in Lebannon the reg plates were UNIFIL 123 etc
                on the Golan heights the reg plates were UNDOF 123 etc

It does not matter if vehicles are supplied by troop contributing country or by the UN, all are fitted with UN reg plates. When 43 Irishbatt deployed to Lebannon in 1978 all its vehicles were fitted with UN reg plates.

Comment

Re: British landrovers

Originally posted by Frank Aiken
                  Don't think they are british landrovers? The brits have full military spec landrovers, teh ones in liberia are a standard land rover with a few extra gun mounts etc.
                  Not true. The vehicles in use in Liberia,referred to in the Infamous Star article as "battle wagons" and seen on all news reports of ARW operations in that country show them driving the Wolf MRCV on Defender 110 XD chassis

British Army Wolf MRCV

ARW "rapid response vehicle."

Spot the difference?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

GF, I think you may be wrong, if you look closely at the BA example you will see 2 storage boxes/access panels behind the "door" and on the front wing immediately ahead of the door. Also, the BA tends not to leave the "Defender" badge on the front.

IAS

Comment

I think that those are 90's with gun mounts!

There are reports coming back from Liberia that the Landrover that crashed recently and killing a Ranger was not a true Mil spec Landrover like the wolfs! Seemly the .5 mounted made the rover unstable when moving it in transit causing it to crash. How true this is I don't know but im sure to mount a heavy weapon on an open top platform then the whole springs would have to be upgraded! I would like to see the army buying these for every reece platoon and not using the totally unsuitable Nissan Patrol.

Comment

Re: I think that those are 90's with gun mounts!

Originally posted by The Thing
                        There are reports coming back from Liberia that the Landrover that crashed recently and killing a Ranger was not a true Mil spec Landrover like the wolfs! Seemly the .5 mounted made the rover unstable when moving it in transit causing it to crash. How true this is I don't know but im sure to mount a heavy weapon on an open top platform then the whole springs would have to be upgraded! I would like to see the army buying these for every reece platoon and not using the totally unsuitable Nissan Patrol.
                        Top heaviness comes as standard with this type of vehicle.

Comment

This is what the British Special forces are working with now that they have replaced the old "pink panther".

Comment

Nice close up pic of the 50cal mounted on the landrover on the front of this months An Cosantoir

Comment

Well looking at the pics, I love the one with the caption, "Liberian youths showing off their array of assualt rifles and rocket propelled gun [should read "grenades"]."
                              "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X