PDA

View Full Version : Armed Marchetti's flying CAP over Dublin now

Tucco
21st January 2004, 15:12
Two Marchettis, one clearly armed with pods. One not. Flying circuits over the city centre at the moment. With GASU EC-135 flying circuits at a lower level.

Must be some important bods in the castle.:)

faughanballagh
21st January 2004, 21:18
Or the pessismistic view, Bertie is wasting your tax dollars by taking his new Lear on a test run.

bulldemboots!
22nd January 2004, 12:30
Was wondering about that myslef cos I heard propellor driven aircraft cirling over near UCD yesterday and today for ages. Flying low too.

Smity
22nd January 2004, 21:46
Yeah, should be able to take on any armed microlights that threaten the meeting of ministers (by day anyway).

nonexistantfoo
23rd January 2004, 19:02
A quick feature was just on TV3 within the last 5 minutes with regard to this. It was officially confirmed that a Marchetti was on CAP, with orders to shoot down any aircraft that were a threat.

The report mentioned the Air Corps have no capability to shoot down, let alone investigate any jet aircraft who were a threat. And went on to say the RAF would have to be brought in for this.

There were quick glimpses of a pilot strapping into a Fouga and the cockpit of the Casa (I think)

andy
23rd January 2004, 19:37
Marchetti's on CAP !! :D I have seen it all now !!

Goldie fish
23rd January 2004, 20:46
Kamakaze perhaps? I imagine a marchetti would bake a fair mess if it went head to head with a 737. However the real risk is light engined aircraft...

The Sultan
25th January 2004, 00:09
all truth be told, do you think that the pilot of the armed marchetti took it serious? do you think dat he was thinking "im flying to protect ireland, im the savior of the skies ya ya ya etc" or was he thinking "god, what do i do if something actually happens??dis machine couldnt peel an orange..." be serious in replies..:confused:

Turkey
25th January 2004, 00:21
Secret orders for IAC pilots, engaged in CAP over Dublin during 2004 presidency:
"In the event of any incident, however small, place your head between your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye"

:D :confused: :D

faughanballagh
25th January 2004, 02:55
Even France has a superior Air Corps. Anyone want to join the Faugh An Ballagh party? My motto is "Screw the children, we need jets!"

(oh and I mean that first part in a non-Michael Jackson way :D )

nonexistantfoo
25th January 2004, 05:23
Well I'll tell you this much, if the pilot was having a doss and not looking around and a microlight flys from Weston and happens to fall on Dublin without him, or the guy in the other Marchetti noticing noticing he'd have a bit of explaining to do.:eek:

The main reason they were probably put up there is in case the media, or some nut (or both :D ) decided to gate crash the EU conference from the air in a helicopter in order to make a point about our lack of air defences... but how likely is that given the potential consequences?!

T.I.M.
25th January 2004, 11:45
on the topic i have also been graced with gasing upon an actual FLYING air corps jet!

bulldemboots!
25th January 2004, 22:18
Originally posted by nonexistantfoo
The main reason they were probably put up there is in case the media, or some nut (or both :D ) decided to gate crash the EU conference from the air in a helicopter in order to make a point about our lack of air defences... but how likely is that given the potential consequences?!

Now would'nt that be interesting to see. Might buck up the government to actually stop spending money on keeping themselves comfortable and start thinking of protecting their people. I mean is it not the responsibility of the state (government) to protect the citizens of the state?

Thorpe
26th January 2004, 08:51
I heard that they were armed with 20mm cannons and only had xx rounds:mad: :mad:

Come-quickly
26th January 2004, 11:22
Thje Warrior only packs a 7.62, no 20mm

yellowjacket
26th January 2004, 12:07
Which is about where aircraft armament was in 1915. :D

Aidan
27th January 2004, 11:17
... except the 7.62mm round probably has less terminal effect than those used in WWI, and the pods (and sight) are optimised for AG use. Lovely.

Victor
28th January 2004, 20:06
Originally posted by T.I.M.
on the topic i have also been graced with gasing upon an actual FLYING air corps jet! Well not jets, but yes ...

faughanballagh
28th January 2004, 22:21
He could be correct in calling them "jets," I mean the CASA is part of the Air Corps. :cool:

JAG
18th February 2004, 14:38
I would have loved to see the out-takes from that news report.... you can just imagine the entire news crew bent double with stitches and breaking their shite laughing a split second after hearing the words "and we're clear"

What exactly were the protecting the capital against? Paparazzi in helicopters? Maybe they were planning to straafe any terrorist attacking the castle.