Happy Birthday to the NS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday to the NS

The Naval service is sixty four years old this week...........

Does this mean it will be able to retire and get a bus pass next year?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

I think the actual birthday is incorrect. I would consider the true birth of the navy being the Marine service of the Emergency years. They had a proper Military capability,with a small fleet of minelayers,gunboats and MTBs....
    The veterans of the Marine service became the senior ranks of the naval service in 1946,and some of the Marine service Vessels went on to serve with the new naval service.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I only read it in the paper!
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Well, the 50th anniversary was in 1996, so that makes (pardon my poor maths if I make a mistake!) the good old NS 58?

Comment

Naval Service=58
          Guys in Irish naval uniform on irish warships(Marine Service)=64

Comment

Re: happy Birthday to the NS

Originally posted by hptmurphy
            The Naval service is sixty four years old this week...........

According to Aidan Mc Ivors book "A History of the Irish Naval service",(currently on loan to me from the HPTMURPHY Library),the decision to establish a Marine and Coastwatching service was taken in January 1939,with the same service being established on 29th August 1939....

The irish Naval uniform first appeared in public during the Easter Parade of 1941,the 25th anniversary of the Easter Rising.

Comment

Working...
            X