Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L.E. Mitchell? Anyone able to throw any light on this crest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L.E. Mitchell? Anyone able to throw any light on this crest?

Spotted this while at the national museum. I presume it's a misprint but what ship's crest is it?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Possibly Fort Mitchell Naval Base.

Comment

Not with the Prefix L.E. (Long Eireanneach or Irish SHIP)

I was hoping someone might recognise the crest.
      Fort Mitchell was never a naval base, as such. Haulbowline was always the Naval base. Spike Island was Fort Mitchell, Spike Island. The Naval Service used it as a training centre.

Possible someone in the Museum saw the crest and presumed it was a ship, rather than a fort.

Comment

RN name their bases HMS. Could it be like that with this for Fort Mitchell?

Comment

Googling it, there was also a Mary B Mitchell armed schooner during the interwar, ww2 period.

Comment

Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
            RN name their bases HMS. Could it be like that with this for Fort Mitchell?
            The RN tradition comes from the practice of having quarters in retired hulks in the past. The Admiralty felt shore accommodation was expensive and liable to lead to indiscipline. These floating establishments kept their names while the actual vessels housing them changed.

Comment

It,s Fort Mitchell / Spike Island , I have one on a marble base . From the man himself Sean O' Brien .
              Last edited by Laners; 17 November 2013, 18:37.
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
                Googling it, there was also a Mary B Mitchell armed schooner during the interwar, ww2 period.
                Hi, The Mary B Mitchell was a neutral Irish vessel during the Emergency and would not be armed.
                Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
                  It,s Fort Mitchell / Spike Island , I have one on a marble base . From the man himself Sean O' Brien .
                  Thanks laners. I was thinking that with the salmon (St Finbarr etc) and the anchor over the fort it was always a possibility. Someone should tell the museum it isn't a ship though.

Comment

Working...
                  X