Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Service Diving Section

Shark Marine Sells Navigator Diver Sonar To Irish Naval Service

The Irish Naval Service has acquired a NAVIGATOR Diver Held Sonar and Navigation System manufactured by Shark Marine Technologies Inc. of Ontario, Canada.

The Irish Naval Service is the State’s Principal Seagoing Agency. The Naval Service exercises and upholds the States sovereignty and obligations over Ireland’s maritime jurisdiction which is an area 12 times larger than the island of Ireland. The Naval Service Diving Section (NSDS) is the primary State diving team, carrying out varied tasks for a number of State Agencies.

Members of the NSDS used the NAVIGATOR system whilst training with the Royal Canadian Navy’s fleet diving unit. The divers believe the NAVIGATOR system equipped with forward-looking multi-beam sonar will assist them in their diving operations, in particular in search and recovery operations and underwater security.

Elite seamen bid to pass gruelling Navy test

10 hardy hopefuls took to the icy waters of Cork harbour this week vying for a coveted place on the Naval Services Diving Section

Comment

I see the NS have changed to bottles at 50m from the surface air supply systems which prevailed.BTW what is an elite seaman .

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
        .BTW what is an elite seaman .

Those lads might know whats elite and whats not....
        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

I see the NS have changed to bottles at 50m from the surface air supply systems which prevailed.BTW what is an elite seaman .

NS still use surface supplied diving systems, as they are much safer for extended operations.

Comment

[QUOTE

NS still use surface supplied diving systems, as they are much safer for extended operations.[/QUOTE]

I was surprised to read otherwise as a stable platform is the basis for safe/successful deeper ops.

Comment

...BTW what is an elite seaman .
              Well for me, it's those who passed a course with an average 10% pass rate (figures in article of 150 passes out of 1400 applicants)
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                Well for me, it's those who passed a course with an average 10% pass rate (figures in article of 150 passes out of 1400 applicants)
                Not exclusive to Seamans ( Executive Branch) ...elite servicemen would be more appropriate, yes elite is the right word. The had a reunion of some of that number last year, they may have aged but still look as tough as nails.

Three of that grouping of 150 persons hold DSMs.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                  Fair enough in that regard ,its that the journo headlined the article by describing all the candidates as elite seamen,(by same journo token those who passed must be super/hyper elite)

Is the pass rate a fair reflection on those who did not pass in that there are x places up for grabs and it has to follow some of those who did not pass may have made the standard but were up against exceptional other candidates.Also to be considered are the quals needed to get on the course, when I enquired years ago the quals seemed doable but there is a huge gap in effort/ability etc needed to survive the course compared to the quals to get a slot on the course.

Comment

Typically 30 start, 4 finish

It isn't to do with places in the unit (as the 4 can rotate in & out AFAIK).

It is one of the hardest courses in the DF

Comment

Diving is much like flying,you have to keep current.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        http://www.military.ie/naval-service...iving-section/

Typically 30 start, 4 finish

It isn't to do with places in the unit (as the 4 can rotate in & out AFAIK).

It is one of the hardest courses in the DF
                        No..It is the Hardest course in the DF as it is not carried out under controlled conditions and the amount of physicallity is second to none. Of the thirty candidates the initial losses would be down to the medical which is far more stringent that that take on entry to the DF.

Mate of mine failed it due to the fillings in his teeth.

The NS divers whether they are ship based or shore based with the diving unit have no problems in retaining currencey.Again its not a role that needs that much time spent carrying out 'practise' every time they get in the water it is a live event.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Well done to the divers from the NS,GS and KSA who recovered Derek Tyrell who was in the Nore at Thomastown for five days snagged on a tree near the bridge.It was a difficult task given the flow on the river ,freezing conditions and zero vis.Two platoons from Kilkenny attended and assisted.The NS were able to stay opn despite the ongoing selection for new divers.The GS unit had time for a quick pitstop in Carlow before heading directly to Courtown where a car had gone in.The KSA members (who located the deceased) once their gear was stowed/secured went back to their day jobs.

Comment

Working...
                          X