Submarines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submarines

does anyone else remember that there was some talk of buying a sub back in the late 80's early 90's:-patriot:
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Yes, there were even questions in the Dail about it.

IAS

Comment

ias, do you have any idea which sub they were looking at specifically or were they looking into buying one more generally
      Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

The Naval service Have one submersible. Its unmanned ROV. We have no requirment for anything more. Read the first post before going any further with this theme.

The sub you are thinking of was a regular contribution to the Gerry ryan show. It was a Joke. It was a peat powered Nuclear submarine. Nobody intelligent has ever discussed the possibility of the Irish naval service using anything other that the current submersible.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

thanks for making me feel like an idiot:o

Comment

No problem...Most people get used to it here...

Comment

GF, I think you're wrong, it was an ex RN conventional submarine and people in the Dail thought it might be useful for shadowing gun runners. However, I agree, totally unrealistic, I assume when the costs were added up the idea was dropped like a hot potato.

IAS

Comment

From gov.ie:

Dáil Éireann Volume 498 - 09 December, 1998 Written Answers.

Naval Service Vessels.

83. Mr. Stanton asked the Minister for Defence if he has examined the advantages and disadvantages of purchasing a submarine for the Naval Service; the plans, if any, he has in regard to this purchase; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [26855/98]

Minister for Defence (Mr. M. Smith): I am satisfied that surface vessels are the most appropriate for the carrying out of the Naval Service's roles and there are no plans to equip the service with a submarine.
                Dáil Éireann Volume 374 29 October, 1987 Ceisteanna—Questions. Oral Answers.

Naval Service.

. Mr. Sherlock asked the Minister for Defence the total number of vessels in the possession of the Naval Service; the number which are currently in seagoing service; the plans, if any, there are to increase the number of vessels; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

Mr. Barry

10. Mr. Barry asked the Minister for Defence the present strength of our naval forces; whether it is intended to increase the force in size; whether it is intended to replace the minesweepers Fola and Gráinne; and the stage at which his discussions are on the purchase of a submarine for the Naval Force.

Mr. Noonan (Limerick West): I propose to take Questions Nos. 7 and 10 together.

The strength of the Naval Service on 30 September 1987 was 859. The personnel requirements of the service are constantly kept under review in the light of current strengths and commitments. The question of further intakes of recruits at any time in the future will be examined [1864] in the context of general financial constraints and the overall budgetary situation.

The Naval Service has seven vessels at present including two non-operational minesweepers, LE Fola and LE Gráinne, which will be disposed of by sale in the near future. The replacement of the minesweepers is at present engaging the attention of the Government. The question of purchasing a submarine for the Naval Service has not been considered at any stage.

Comment

Thank you YJ. I think that puts the sub suggestion to bed.

Comment

well thank you ias I don't feel like such a tool now:D :D :D :D :D

Comment

You kinda missed the point though...nobody actually seriously considered submarines.

Comment

i know that, that was not what i ment. I just wanted to know how far the discussion about them got

Comment

Over the years the NS has been under a lot of pressure to engage in Anti Submarine operations,maybe this is where the confusion comes from?
                          In April 82 Sharelga,fishing off Clogher Head,County Louth when it was towed astern at a speed of 10 Kts for 2 miles before sinking.
                          LE aisling was involved in the search for the vessel,and the government was put under much pressure to prevent the movement of Foreign Submarines in Irish Waters.
                          It is difficult to imagine ho Ireland,or any other country for that matter could complete this task without causing a serious International Incident.
                          Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

Originally posted by Farel'
                            It is difficult to imagine ho Ireland,or any other country for that matter could complete this task without causing a serious International Incident.
                            A foreign submarine in your territorial waters is already an international incident as it breech of the international law of the sea and is tantamount to invasion.
                            Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Subs Pass through irish waters unnoticed,unless they have incidents with trawlers as above..and are unidentifiable.

However attacking an errant sub in irish waters,causing inevitable injury or loss of life to the crew is a whole different level of incident. Thats more like an act of war!

Comment

Working...
                              X