Marine Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine Unit

There was a lot of dicussion before about the DF having a parachute/airborne unit, heres a cheaper alternative

A Marine Unit with sufficient lift for a Coy Gp, ie RIBs, LCVP (Landing Craft Vehicle & Personnel) carrying a Nissan + trailer or about 30 troops, an LCU (Landing Craft Utiliy) carrying a number of CVR(T) or 100+ troops

Possibily a small Landing/Supply Ship that could also be used to supply overseas missions

The Coy Gp could be trained in rotation (eg A Coy 1 Inf then A Coy 2 Inf)

Saw a picture recently of Irish troops with UNMIL being landing by landing craft

Why? - Cheaper than an airborne unit
    - How much of the earth's surface is covered in water?

Although obviously some countries are landlocked
    Yes
    58.97%
    No
    41.03%

I take it that the Marine unit will be better trained than their Army counterparts and have a different role.

Comment

the unit itself could just be the administrative, logistics and operational support of the landing craft themselves, while the troops could spent eg a year in role, training instead of doing duties around the coast and overseas, only different roles would be to conduct marine landings and a part of RRF

Comment

Such an LCU could only be procured if the NS got an increase in vessels & manpower. As it stands, the NS could do with more ships & men. It would be wasteful for them to crew a ninth vessel that would contribute little to the NS's primary tasks of coastal patrolling & fisheries protection.
        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

crew of an LCU is less than 15

Comment

I assume you're talking about something like this:

This particular vessel has a complement of 13, but it would still be a drain on NS resources without contributing much to the primary tasks.
            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Well if any one is interested I posted my idea for a commando unit in the para thread but no one gave any feedback on it so if anyone would take a look and give an opinion it would be good:D
              Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

It's not a bad idea, but I don't see it happening any time soon. And I certainly don't see it happening before the introduction of air mobility.

Comment

No. Average IQ of DF too high :p

Comment

This LCVP has a crew of 3
                    Can Carry: 20 troops / Land Rover & trailer / 5.5 tons
                    Range: 150 miles
                    Attached Files

Comment

LCU has a crew of 6
                      Can Carry: 120 troops / 4 trucks / 4 Land Rover & trailers
                      Range: 200 miles

ARW operate Intruder RIBs which can carry about 10 troops with a crew of 1/2

Comment

this is the intruder RIB
                        Attached Files

Comment

I know I'm gonna get slagged for this but what about the use of hovercrafts, I've heard of them being used by the brits in Iraq.

I don't know if they can be used on open seas like a LCU but they can be taken inland and into shallow waters which is a bonus.
                          Attached Files
                          To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
                            this is the intruder RIB
                            That looks like what the SEALs use.
                            "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Eh, it's a RIB, you can see these in any marina....

Re: the ships, where exactly would they be used, they don't look big enough to make it across to invade the Isle of Man when that takes place in 2006.

Comment

Working...
                              X