X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy calls off mission to Liberia

Re this thread: http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...?s=&forumid=24

Is the Niamh still there?
    "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

The Naval Service should have got their finger out and filled in the proper paper work!

(i cant post threads on news)

[Mod - Yes you can, they just get checked to see if they're relevant to topic first.]

Comment

Niamh returned once the initial recce mission was complete,within 2 weeks of her departure I believe.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Goldie, was HMNLS Amsterdam here to take stuff to Liberia. Is that the Amsterdam in the photos in An CoasintĂ³r?
          Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

No. LE Niamh brought the initial stores to Liberia,and the rest followed by air.(AN124) What photos?

Comment

I think it's a photo centre spread on Liberia in the current edition. Lots of photos of Nissans and MOWAGs in what I initially though was a warehouse (cream? coloured walls), but actually appears to be a ship. Very high floor to ceiling though.

I knew about the AN124, but I wasn't sure if everything went on it.
              Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

HMNLS Amsterdam is a fleet replenishment ship. HMNLS Rotterdam is an LPD and is being used as a Hospital ship in Liberia. To My knowledge she has not visited Cork(if she did nobody told me)

This is her Well Deck,where that photo in an cosantoir could have been taken.

Comment

Apologies. GF, my bad.

Comment

bureaucracy

Is it the case that a Navy supply mission to oversea's service personel must get the final say from the Defence Department? - would a similiar mision/situation occur in any other Navy in the world, that a "supply mission" could be canceled because of non military personal, namely the cival servants in the DOD?? - If this is the case I think it is a farce! - bureaucracy at its best! - surely Geff Hoon would not get involved in a RN supply mission lets say to Yugoslavia.. why do the cival servants/councilors have so much influence! same in every government department:confused:

Comment

I understand, but it is the navy, that is what a navy does. But for it to be canceled due to a DOD descision is in annoying, how expensive is it? - I would imagine that, that situation would not happen with the RN.. The Irish Defence Forces, "A Life less ordinary" - maybe for the army.

Comment

Eeeeasy Addy, paper trails are there for a reason.
                        If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

The NS have been seeking a certain amount of financial self sufficiency for accounting purposes for some time. In many cases the annual budget has had a portion of its total returned at the end of the year,unspent. The amount however does not roll into the next year,often causing difficulties.

Comment

Apparently KNLMS Rotterdam Visited Dublin sometime last year,in the company of 2 Karel Doorman class frigates Van Nes [F833] and Van Speijk [F828.

Photos HERE

Comment

Working...
                            X