Rumour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumour

I heard a rumour of a Bn strength mission to Africa. Has anyone else heard anything? Or does anyone even think its feasible?

That'd be a massive undertaking. Is it 400 that are currently deployed elsewhere? It's possible, but....the resources required to have a full 850 overseas at any given time would be astronomical. Also factor in that rotations would be need to be factored in, so you'd nearly eat up a quarter of DF with those who are back, preparing to go, and on deployment.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
      I heard a rumour of a Bn strength mission to Africa. Has anyone else heard anything? Or does anyone even think its feasible?
      I haven't heard that. There will be no problem with getting troops to go, the problem is the Mowag fleet is to small but still could be done. There was two Inf Gp's and a Inf Bn overseas at the same time in 2006-2007.

Some good news and its not a rumour is that a Bn will be going to Lebanon next May. The Finn's must be struggling again to supply troops as they are adding an Estonian Platoon to their contingent in next months rotation.

Comment

The only way this rumour is true is that if the battalion earmarked for the Lebanon goes to Africa next May

Comment

It's happened that way before. Contingent heading for Cyprus ended up in Sinai instead.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
            I haven't heard that. There will be no problem with getting troops to go, the problem is the Mowag fleet is to small but still could be done. There was two Inf Gp's and a Inf Bn overseas at the same time in 2006-2007.

Some good news and its not a rumour is that a Bn will be going to Lebanon next May. The Finn's must be struggling again to supply troops as they are adding an Estonian Platoon to their contingent in next months rotation.
            I heard that this Golan deployment might be one of the last.

Comment

I heard that they are sending a Bn to Mars, government can't afford the return flights though so pack for a long stay...

Seriously though, this sounds like someone is spreading the butter too thin. We have a very small army and with up to 20% unavailable for everyday ops and a further 10% overseas this would seriously affect our national security and, at the very least, the army's ability to simply operate in barracks would it not?

Comment

The Government haven't changed the commitment to having up to 850 personnel overseas at any one time

Comment

When was that commitment set? Before or after the reduction in size of the DF?

Comment

Originally posted by F_M View Post
                    Seriously though, this sounds like someone is spreading the butter too thin. We have a very small army and with up to 20% unavailable for everyday ops and a further 10% overseas this would seriously affect our national security and, at the very least, the army's ability to simply operate in barracks would it not?
                    Each all arms brigade could deploy an all arms battalion overseas continuously without affecting any of the current peacetime roles at home.

Comment

But would they have the necessary equipment (eg MOWAGs)?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        But would they have the necessary equipment (eg MOWAGs)?
                        Like I've said above the Mowag fleet is too small for what the Army needs. That could possibly be a problem if full armoured strength Mech Coy's are required as part of an overseas Bn or Inf Gp. It all depends on the missions requirements. No two missions are the same.

Comment

There was a requirement around 2006 for a second type of less sophisticated APC for operations in areas where the full capability of the mowag was not necessary. not sure if it still exists though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                            Like I've said above the Mowag fleet is too small for what the Army needs. That could possibly be a problem if full armoured strength Mech Coy's are required as part of an overseas Bn or Inf Gp. It all depends on the missions requirements. No two missions are the same.
                            True, in the past we have had Mech Bn's with 1 x APC Coy.

Of course, maybe they should put money into parts procurement and a refurbishment programme to bring the fleet servicability up.

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                            There was a requirement around 2006 for a second type of less sophisticated APC for operations in areas where the full capability of the mowag was not necessary. not sure if it still exists though.
                            Wasn't that the LTAV?

Comment

Working...
                            X