Graf Spee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graf Spee

'Spotted this on p45rant of all places; http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3459611.stm

I do not belive that the German government have any title to the wreck, but one wonders at the logic at moving something like this after all this time, BTW she is not a war grave, as she was fully evacuated before sinking.
    Mods, I think this is the right forum for this, but feel free to move it.
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

It says they mean to restore it also..whats next? Rebuild the eagles nest? Although that said the Kriegsmarine surface fleet were the least supportive of Germanys actions in the war,and Graf Spee's captain was not considered a Nazi.
    I fail to see the practicalities of raising it though.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

It as the same practicalities as raising the Titanic (none at all)
      It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
      It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
      It was a new age...It was the end of history.
      It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Well to be fair, Titanic is almost rotted away,a mile or so underwater, and has lay in icy atlantic waters for over 90 years,while Graf Spee has sat close to the surface in warm sheltered waters for a lot less time. Plus,they already know where she is..

Comment

But whats the practicalities of raising a 60 year old german battleship that hardly anybody cares or knows about?
          It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Hardly Anybody? Surely you have felt damp while watching "The battle of the river plate" on TV? Classic movie. I had a model of the ship years ago....

Comment

Its to be a tourist attraction and its a private venture not a German government one. If they feel they can make a few bob out of it fair play to them.
              sigpic
              Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
              My favourite moment was when the
              red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Germany like any other nation should be allowed to celebrate their war dead. Just because she was defeated does not mean that they should live forever in shame.

Comment

It is a grave for its captain Isn't it. I thought he went down with it.

Comment

Nope, shot himself in Montevideo, lying on a German Imperial Navy flag, IIRC.

Comment

So who brought the ship out of the harbour to scuttle it.

For the record it wasn't a full battleship but a 'Pocket Battleship'. I only mention this because it makes me laugh everytime I say the phrase pocket battleship. I don't know why it does. It just does.

Pocket battleship:D :D :D :D

Comment

Pity they are lifting her, she probably makes a great dive - water pretty cruddy and strong tides. But its possible that she could be lifted intact. Given the state of U-260 off Glandore, I'd say that the steel plate is probably in good enough condition if she is lifted right.

Comment

He shot himself a few days after scuttling the ship.

Pocket Battleship isn't a class of ship. The Germans had to stay within certain size limits to comply with the Versailles treaty so they made small battleships.

And Germany has a National Day of Commemoration too.
                          sigpic
                          Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

I though it referred to the size of the guns rather than the size of the ship. But I don't remember where I heard that to be honest.

They were also banned from having an Air Force but that didn't stop them building one.

ARTICLE 198.
                            The armed forces of Germany must not include any military or naval air forces.

Comment

I would suggest that anyone with further interest in this ship and her history, rent out(tho its often on TV) The Battle of the River Plate. The special effects are typical for the time,but the movie is factually accurate.

Comment

Working...
                              X