X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when...and which??

for the old sea dogs here
    Attached Files

I would say about 74 or 75, Deirdre(foreground) has the original FP20 Pennant number. The minesweepers in the background could be either of the 3 but it is later in their careers as they appear to have enclosed wheelhouses,which were added later in their service.(Brr)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I reckon its Grainne ....Fola ......and Deirdre. It looks like pne of the ariel shots taken around the Claudia incident which was 1973 ( Goldie look up me books to confirm this).
      okay after blowing up the image ...the first sweeper is definetly CM10and I still reckon the second one is CM12...as CM 11 (Banba) was always broken down!

Nice piccy where did you come by it? makes anice screen saver!
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I remember a documentry on TV once where some ole salt was talking about moving from one of the Flower class corvettes to the luxury of the Minesweepers. Man... luxury. Those things look tiny.

-Y
        Last edited by yooklid; 26 February 2004, 03:15.
        Meh.

Comment

For a very good description of life aboard a flower class corvette during WWII I recommend reading 'The Cruel Sea' by Nicholas Monsarrat.
          No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
          No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

I must try and find that Movie also....

Comment

well done murph,boat names are correct,deirdre,grainne and fola..photo taken as part of gchq in aug/sept 1975

Comment

the above mentioned documentaery was 50 years of the Irish navy which was aired in 1997. I still have a video copy of it. Very good show!
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I was half right...

Comment

The Cruel Sea

Finally got me a copy of this fine film yesterday. Very well made for its time(1953 B&W)

PINNNNGGGGGaaaaaa

Comment

Monserrat was quite scathing of Ireland's Neutral stance. Does it surface (excuse the pun!) in the movie?
                      Meh.

Comment

No, Yooklid, it does not , as far as I can remember.
                        When I read 'The cruel Sea' first I was about 10-11 years old and found Monserrat's attuide quite upsetting, but when you realise what conditions that he was working under, you begin to understand why he felt the way he did.
                        Thats my 2 cents worth, anyway.
                        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Probably the last surviving Flower Class Corvette was restored a number of years ago in Canada,with the help of the Irish Naval service,who donated the Pom-pom.
                          HMCS Sackville

Comment

hw actually wanted to borrow a corvete from the NS to make the film !.....Not a bad film ...for similar cotent watch 'in which we serve'.....'we dive at dawn' and 'carve her name with pride'

Comment

you were also half wrong...depending on which way you look at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X