PDA

View Full Version : Origin of AFVs in Cav collection

Tempest
18th September 2017, 23:00
Bit of an anorak question, but does anyone know the origin of those vehicles in the Cavalry collection which were types never used in Ireland? I'm referring to the M113 and Ferret in particular, but thee are I think a couple of others too. Were they received as 'swops' from other museums?

DeV
18th September 2017, 23:37
Off the top of my head both were UN supplied

M113 was used in the Congo I think.

Ferret was used in Cyprus

Rhodes
19th September 2017, 00:06
Bit of an anorak question, but does anyone know the origin of those vehicles in the Cavalry collection which were types never used in Ireland? I'm referring to the M113 and Ferret in particular, but thee are I think a couple of others too. Were they received as 'swops' from other museums?

I didn't know there was an M113 in the collection. The Ferret I believe was a swap for an Irish Leyland armoured car with a tank museum in the UK.

Also, the Scania APC was a swap with the Swedes for an Irish Landsverk armoured car.

na grohmiti
19th September 2017, 03:23
The Scania "White Lady" would have been very familiar to troops who served in the Congo.

hptmurphy
19th September 2017, 11:28
The M113 was a very short loan of one vehicle in the Congo, one photograph in existence, there isn't a preserved example in the country that the army own.

The Ferrets were on loan for a period in Cyprus until the Panhards came on stream all though there was an overlap. Bovington has a Leyland but I'm not sure if that was the actual swap.

Two Landsverks went overseas, one to the Netherlands and one to Sweden, in return we got the Scania

Anything else in the collection is original .......with the exception of the Peerless which has very dubious parentage and is not the one used in the film Michael Collins

Sparky42
19th September 2017, 15:43
Anything else in the collection is original .......with the exception of the Peerless which has very dubious parentage and is not the one used in the film Michael Collins

Didn't we trade one of of the cars for a Bren Carrier off Bovington?

hptmurphy
19th September 2017, 21:05
Its a Universal carrier , not a Bren Carrier, substantial difference, we had so many I couldn't say

GoneToTheCanner
21st September 2017, 16:40
Our Bren carriers ended up in Hammond Lane. I doubt if an actual Irish contract carrier still exists. They were taken out of service after a host of accidents caused by fellas messing in them and the desire of the DoD to shrink the Army after WW2 ended.

hptmurphy
21st September 2017, 21:19
Our Bren carriers ended up in Hammond Lane. I doubt if an actual Irish contract carrier still exists. They were taken out of service after a host of accidents caused by fellas messing in them and the desire of the DoD to shrink the Army after WW2 ended.

Mate of mine has one having been buried in a bog for years, non runner, Bord Na Mona ended up with quite a few it would seem.

the one in the cav collection is actually a Ford T16 and was purchased in the UK a number of years ago

GoneToTheCanner
21st September 2017, 23:34
My grandfather told me that lads would be messing about with them and they often threw a track and were simply pushed aside, as they had plenty of them. I saw a photo of a huge stack of them in Hammond Lane awaiting the torch.

na grohmiti
22nd September 2017, 03:11
My grandfather told me that lads would be messing about with them and they often threw a track and were simply pushed aside, as they had plenty of them. I saw a photo of a huge stack of them in Hammond Lane awaiting the torch.

Hammond lane had more respect for our equipment than we did. For many years there was a 4 inch gun from the corvettes guarding the Gate at their Cork yard. Thankfully it never made it to the cutting torch and is now safely back either in the Main Square in Haulbowline or Spike.

The real Jack
22nd September 2017, 10:38
What was/is Hammond lane? A private scrapyard?

DeV
22nd September 2017, 10:45
What was/is Hammond lane? A private scrapyard? correct

na grohmiti
22nd September 2017, 11:03
Part of the Clearway group.

morpheus
22nd September 2017, 14:43
I read somewhere once we had between 600 and 800 bren / universal carriers at one point.

aaand a quick google says 226

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armoured_fighting_vehicles_of_the_Irish_Army#cite_ note-13

GoneToTheCanner
22nd September 2017, 20:43
That 4-inch gun was retrieved from a private owner who had it in his yard, visible from a bus, as you went up the hill to St Lukes in Cork.

sofa
22nd September 2017, 21:54
Anyone ever hear of "Buckchasers" used by the Army.?

Herald
22nd September 2017, 22:16

Bugchasers.

Motor bikes used in the Emergency I think?

Could have been Triumphs.

DeV
22nd September 2017, 23:14
I think they were Ford civvy cars stripped down to serve as a GS type vehicle

hptmurphy
25th September 2017, 20:45
I think they were Ford civvy cars stripped down to serve as a GS type vehicle

Correct !

hptmurphy
25th September 2017, 20:54
[QUOTE=na grohmití;454671]Hammond lane had more respect for our equipment than we did. For many years there was a 4 inch gun from the corvettes guarding the Gate at their Cork yard. Thankfully it never made it to the cutting torch and is now safely back either in the Main Square in Haulbowline or Spike.[/QUOTE

Not sure about that one. That Four Inch came out of the gunnery bay where it had been used as a trainer alongside the 2pdr Pom Pom that went to Canada and a twin Oerlikon mount along with 40mm L/60 bofors training rig and a couple of Oerlikon mounts, the 12 ponder on the square came from the same location.

hptmurphy
25th September 2017, 21:19
https://youtu.be/7bdOQ938Lmg

Bug chasers can be viewed toward end of clip moving along a column

Bravo20
26th September 2017, 08:29
interesting mix of helmets. Did the artillery wear the "tommy" style helmet and the rest wear the Vickers?

hptmurphy
26th September 2017, 15:15
interesting mix of helmets. Did the artillery wear the "tommy" style helmet and the rest wear the Vickers?

The Vickers type was gone out service by the end of the war, however at what point is phased out is impossible to be absolutely accurate on due to the usual logistical issues.

The real Jack
26th September 2017, 17:39
What are the toy artillery in the video? 3.7 pounders?