Security Duty Allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Duty Allowance

Do ASM / NSR receive all the allowances they are entitled to?

Eg Patrol Duty Allowance, Security Duty Allowance, Tech Pay, Sea going allowance

I'm especially interested to hear if they get SDA, on/off camp?, whether or not replacing PDF personnel!

PDA is always paid, although the timing can be erratic.
    SDA is only paid when performing a duty in place of a member of the PDF.
    The NSR do not go on camp, the vast majority of courses are done in haulbowline and the normal guard and stand to are in place.
    SDA is not paid while under training.
    Tech pay is not something we have (to my knowledge) pursued.
    Sea going allowance is PDA.
    No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
    No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Thanks Vice Admiral

Comment

Reading up on the NSR here as I'm hoping to join but I'm a bit confused about how the allowances work.

Are PDA and SDA allowance taxable?

Does an NSR member just get the security allowance for working a weekend in Haulbowline or do they also get their weekly pay pro-rated to two days?

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
          Reading up on the NSR here as I'm hoping to join but I'm a bit confused about how the allowances work.

Does an NSR member just get the security allowance for working a weekend in Haulbowline or do they also get their weekly pay pro-rated to two days?
          I’d imagine it is taxable

Can’t speak for NSR but if I do a security duty (I get 2 days pay (no duty allowance)) with Army reserve

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post

Nope!... this has been the age old argument for the DF doing things on the cheap, bring in the reservist to do the duty and pay him a flat days rate saving the unit the cost of duty money, the logic being mandays used in support of units are seen as training days rather than actual duties.

they don't qualify for PDA ( Sea going money) for time afloat as PDA can only be paid to persons post to a ship rather than those attached.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

When the RDF reorg happened, we were still in the doldrums in terms of pay for members (as opposed to now where we are raking it it haha). At the time one of RDFRAs shooting themselves in the foot moments was to say cut & burn the PDF and instead have thousands more reservists. One of the means of placating the representative associations (PDF) was to issue a directive that a reservist would not be used for a duty that would cost a PDF man an allowance that would otherwise be due. Hence RDF still do not get paid SDA even when on duty beside a PDF

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
                When the RDF reorg happened, we were still in the doldrums in terms of pay for members (as opposed to now where we are raking it it haha). At the time one of RDFRAs shooting themselves in the foot moments was to say cut & burn the PDF and instead have thousands more reservists. One of the means of placating the representative associations (PDF) was to issue a directive that a reservist would not be used for a duty that would cost a PDF man an allowance that would otherwise be due. Hence RDF still do not get paid SDA even when on duty beside a PDF
                Plus of course it means money is saved from the PDF allowances subhead and it comes from the RDF pay subhead instead. It isn’t huge money by any stretch, but it also means the mandays actually get used (1 formation last year actually used all their mandays last year and were given more.

Financially the reservist is probably better off getting 2 mandays instead of 1 with SDA (gross anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  Plus of course it means money is saved from the PDF allowances subhead
                  No, they are not allowed to try and save money by using RDF instead. There is a DCOS LOI on it

Comment

No, they are not allowed to try and save money by using RDF instead. There is a DCOS LOI on it
                    So who is getting the SDA in that case?

It may not be the intend but it surely must be the effect?

We aren’t talking huge numbers of people so the saving wouldn’t even be €10,000 across the whole DF

Comment

That is not correct. The directive regarding the payment of SDA was issued long before the re-org. In fact it was never paid, there was a ban on the use of RDF for a security duties for a period as a result of the case taken and individual, supported by RDFRA in the early noughties to the WRC (or whatever its equivalent was at the time).

Comment

Up to until maybe 2000 or so there was a security duty Manday allotment wasn’t ? That has been zero since and Training manday allocations are used.

There was a proposal from an individual (not a RDFRA policy)

Comment

The reason I asked is because the information on the NSR page on military.ie states that "The NSR also carry out land based security duties at the Naval Base on Haulbowline Island, Cork. These duties are carried out at weekends and the reservists who carry them out are paid the standard Permanent Defence Force allowances for these duties".

The site also mentions "Patrols are typically 2 or 3 weeks in duration. You will be paid for this training and also receive a sea going allowance". Seems to be a contradicting the actual practice then so!

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                            That is not correct. The directive regarding the payment of SDA was issued long before the re-org. In fact it was never paid, there was a ban on the use of RDF for a security duties for a period as a result of the case taken and individual, supported by RDFRA in the early noughties to the WRC (or whatever its equivalent was at the time).
                            It was reiterated in 2013. I have the letter

Comment

Reiterated but not a direct correlation.

Comment

Working...
                              X